Vanity Plates

Hey, I'm with you too ERAU Intern. No one really needs to know (nor do people care these days) that your a pilot. I see no need to flaunt your "title" around. You don't see CEO's and managers doing the same thing LOL.

this whole thread reminds me of the long-lived "dork pilot" series over on flightinfo.com. If you're bored for an hour or two, go read it. It's good for more than a few chuckles.

Dorky Pilot Series

Sarah

Well, aparently I'm a dork for having aviation-related vanity plates. But you know what? I couldn't care less. What each and every one of you thinks of me is your business, not mine, and it can stay that way. I dont have big flashy stickers, and I dont tell people what I do. If they can figure out my license plate (which surprisingly, many can't), they can probably guess what I do. I got them because I thought it would be something fun and unique. Not to announce to the world that I make my living teaching people to fly "bug-smashers". Like I said, if that makes me a dork...fine. I basically have no life anyways, outside of work, so I really don't mind being a dork.
smile.gif

eatsleepfly - I wasn't implying that you were a dork, chill.

This thread and the direction it was taking reminded me of the flightinfo.com thread, so I posted the link. I thought it was hilarious and figured maybe some of the readers over here would too.

And FWIW - I considered getting vanity plates myself. Just ask ready2fly - he helped me try to figure out something cute I could use. Unfortunately MO only allows 6 characters and that ain't enough. I passed on the deal. I do have a "dorky" AOPA sticker in my back window, though.

Sarah

Hey Sarah, dont sweat it. I thought your link was hillarious. Anyway, I think a good number of us are dorks, must most of us dont like to hear it.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, aparently I'm a dork for having aviation-related vanity plates. But you know what? I couldn't care less. What each and every one of you thinks of me is your business, not mine, and it can stay that way. I dont have big flashy stickers, and I dont tell people what I do. If they can figure out my license plate (which surprisingly, many can't), they can probably guess what I do. I got them because I thought it would be something fun and unique. Not to announce to the world that I make my living teaching people to fly "bug-smashers". Like I said, if that makes me a dork...fine. I basically have no life anyways, outside of work, so I really don't mind being a dork.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh..... aren't all pilots dorks? I'm a TOTAL dork. Just ask my wife.

[ QUOTE ]
eatsleepfly - I wasn't implying that you were a dork, chill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. I wasn't really responding to what you had said anyways. Although I did read it...pretty amusing.

Bad day I guess...sorry.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I think a good number of us are dorks, must most of us dont like to hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yah I totally agree. In fact, that is in part why I thought that thread was so hilarious. I've done a couple of similar things that would classify me as a 'dork pilot' and well, it's nice to know that there are those worse than me. (I like the pre-solo student that showed up for his lesson with a flight suit and helmet !

I've been guilty of working the occasional "Roger that" or "Affirmative" into conversation, I'll readily admit it.

Ya gotta be able to laugh at yourself!
wink.gif

Sarah

Wow, you'd really work an extra hour one day to pay for vanity license plates?

If you take an hour to net $25, then that's the tradeoff ratio: 1 hour for vanity plates.

I'd never work 60 minutes for plates, personally, but as already stressed, if you're willing to, go for it.

Just most people don't consider the opportunity cost of your $25... in this case, the time you spent to earn it; or what else you could (possibly) better spend it on...

The employee lot for United at DIA was filled with vanity plates. I wouldn't get one personally but I allways got a kick out of the plates that only airline people would understand......like -"BP8A"

You're right, dude. I personally don't tell anyone that I do a little flying. It comes out very casually if at all. When it does happen, it's more along the lines of "hey, Tony, what are you doing a such and such time tomorrow cause we want to play a little golf." Then I say, I can't, I'm going to the airport.

It's so much cooler to people when you act as if it's not a big deal, and you know what? It isn't.

Back