Va Help

bc2209

Been racking the brain trying to really understand this. Think I might have a simple version down but want to make sure it's correct.

Va speed is higher in a heavy airplane. Flying at a higher AOA, closer to critical AOA and will stall before over stressing due to it's proximity to critical AOA

Va in light airplane, must be lower, to come closer into proximity to it's critical AOA so that it also stalls before over stressing.

Man I just realized how confused I've been over this. I'm hoping i'm close but someone help me out if i'm wildly off.

:ooh:

Last edited:
Been racking the brain trying to really understand this. Think I might have a simple version down but want to make sure it's correct.

Va speed is higher in a heavy airplane. Flying at a higher AOA, closer to critical AOA and will stall before over stressing due to it's proximity to critical AOA

Va in light airplane, must be lower, to come closer into proximity to it's critical AOA so that it also stalls before over stressing.

Man I just realized how confused I've been over this. I'm hoping i'm close but someone help me out if i'm wildly off.

:ooh:
The more you weigh, the closer you are operating to the critical AOA.

It boils down to this, "Va is the speed, where the wing will stall before it snaps."

If you the pilot yank back on the stick as hard as you can, the wing will stall (thereby releasing most of it's load) before it breaks off.

Since stall speed is lower at lower weights (Vs and Vs1 are also only accurate at MGTOW) so to is Va.

Everyone's help with this has made it so clear that I've been able to help others at the school really understand the basic level. Awesome stuff guys I appreciate it.

Back