VA disability and commercial pilots license

Pilot Prospect

Hello,
Veteran here with some questions based off of a thread I read earlier. I finally found a school that works with the GI bill after they closed the loop hole overspending, now i'm wondering if it's just a waste of time. So I'm currently receiving 40% disability for wrist, shoulder, and minor tinnitus (only affects sleep...hearing tests are decent.) My eye sight is 20/20, i'm not color blind. My issues do cause me not to work in heavy lifting physical positions anymore, I am still physically fit to the full extent possible. I run, eat right, etc...just no crazy weight training and so on. So my question is that if I'm collecting VA benefits...am I just wasting my time and GI bill heading in this direction? I can tell you without a doubt I don't want to end up in some federal witch hunt nightmare so give it to me straight.

Almost forgot,
Only meds I take are Motrin. I can sometimes go a week or so without any depending. I've learned of different ways to deal with pain online and when I was in physical therapy. It's helped a TON. I've never been a fan of the clouded pain med feeling. Tinnitus I deal with by using a fan as white noise while I sleep instead of sleep meds.

Last edited:
Find an AME in your area, and make an appointment to speak with them (NOT for an FAA medical, just to ask questions). Should be about $75, and they can give you a good idea about what you need to do and what the odds of having any issues are.

Didn't we just answer this question in the "ask and aviation attorney" forum?

https://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/va-legal-stuff.249733/#post-2681660

90% disabled vet here. I hold a class 2 and I am a professional commercial pilot. Nothing you list should disqualify you for at least a class 2. The Tennitis and lack of sleep issue might give the examiner some heartburn but if it doesn't violate anything on the exam criteria it should be issued. Google guide for aviation medical examiners and find the guidance for your specific issues.

In a lot of cases veterans get worked up over nothing. I did too. Follow the guide for aviation medical examiners and it will tell you all you need to know.

Otherwise I agree with all the above posts. Talk with a local AME without actually applying for a medical. I'd be suprised if they say there are any issues.

Back