CLASS II TICKET HELP

tombrown

I would like to get your opinion before i invest in time and money for getting a class II certificate. I am not a pilot just trying to get back into being an Aircrew backseater in the back, as i was a crew chief and wanted to apply for civilian companies.

I was given some bad advice and information in the past that had me questioned them when i got my ticket last year. To sum it up, I was honorably discharged from the military and currently rated at 100% VA service connected. I have PTSD/ Anxiety with no incidents and was given Escitalopram Oxalate 20 mg once a day in the past but i told my doctor that i did not take it because i did not need it. I was also given Alprazolam as needed, but i dont normally take it because i can manage. I have Sleep Apnea on CPAP and is well controlled.

Here lies the issues. I was given advice from different retired pilots and aircrew that i need to separate the disabilities from the VA and the civilian side. They had told me to only disclose the medicines and issues i have that my civilian doctor have been treating me, such as cholesterol meds, Naproxen and some Tylenol for being matured as they said that's what they do. I did not think this was right, though i trusted this old crusty pilots. I called the FAA office and asked them if they pull the VA records, which the pilots said they dont and cant, and the FAA said they do not and they cannot unless they have a court order. The FAA representative stated that they only go with what the airman says. This is probably why the old crusty pilots did not disclose their va disabilities and medical. I decided to talk with some current pilots and they told me that the old crusty pilots were wrong and that i have to disclose everything. So now here i am freaking out because i am afraid that i will not get a Class II certificate to apply for aircrew jobs.

Are the PTSD, Anxiety, Sleep Apnea grounds for not getting a Class II? I read that Sleep Apnea is good but PTSD and Anxiety is not. If it is a disqualification and there is no way i can get a ticket, i will disregard my chances of getting an Aircrew job and not renew my expired ticket and call it the day.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I would like to get your opinion before i invest in time and money for getting a class II certificate.

It looks like you already got some bad free advice from some commercial pilots, where do you find confidence in this batch of anonymous commercial pilots offering more free advice? Also, pilots aren't the most qualified folks to give medical and legal advice and it looks like you may need some.

Later in your post you mention that you "got your ticket" last year. So, you have your Private and a 3rd Class Medical Cert?

I am not a pilot just trying to get back into being an Aircrew backseater in the back, as i was a crew chief and wanted to apply for civilian companies.

I'm getting confused. You "got your ticket" last year. If you are not a pilot, what ticket did you get last year?

Exactly what "aircrew backseater in the back" jobs are you pursuing? FE, FA?

I was given some bad advice and information in the past that had me questioned them when i got my ticket last year.

What cert did you get last year?

To sum it up, I was honorably discharged from the military and currently rated at 100% VA service connected.

Okay, unless you have a TD/IU Disability working isn't a problem.

I have PTSD/ Anxiety with no incidents and was given Escitalopram Oxalate 20 mg once a day in the past but i told my doctor that i did not take it because i did not need it. I was also given Alprazolam as needed, but i dont normally take it because i can manage. I have Sleep Apnea on CPAP and is well controlled.

Yada, yada, yada, medical stuff pilots may not be qualified to offer an informed opinion on.

Here lies the issues. I was given advice from different retired pilots and aircrew that i need to separate the disabilities from the VA and the civilian side. They had told me to only disclose the medicines and issues i have that my civilian doctor have been treating me, such as cholesterol meds, Naproxen and some Tylenol for being matured as they said that's what they do. I did not think this was right, though i trusted this old crusty pilots.

Do you have a medical or have you applied for a medical? The questions on the medical application are pretty clear and the AME is there to assist you. I'm still confused over the "I'm not a pilot" statement and the seemingly conflicting "I got my ticket last year" statement. Are we talking about a non-pilot cert?

I'm trying to figure out if you hold a Third Class Medical obtained after submitting a falsified application.

I called the FAA office and asked them if they pull the VA records, which the pilots said they dont and cant, and the FAA said they do not and they cannot unless they have a court order.

Unless something has changed, the FAA can determine if an applicant or cert-holder receives VA or SSA disability benefits. This cross-check could result in an inquiry requiring you to produce records or an investigation that obtains them by court order.

The FAA representative stated that they only go with what the airman says. This is probably why the old crusty pilots did not disclose their va disabilities and medical. I decided to talk with some current pilots and they told me that the old crusty pilots were wrong and that i have to disclose everything. So now here i am freaking out because i am afraid that i will not get a Class II certificate to apply for aircrew jobs.

Assume that full disclosure is legally required.

Are the PTSD, Anxiety, Sleep Apnea grounds for not getting a Class II? I read that Sleep Apnea is good but PTSD and Anxiety is not. If it is a disqualification and there is no way i can get a ticket, i will disregard my chances of getting an Aircrew job and not renew my expired ticket and call it the day.

The questions are too vague and the answers are too complex to be adequately and accurately addressed in this forum. Also, the FAA looks at both condition and the mediations used for treatment, past and present.

I'm a little fuzzy on what certs you may have, current or expired. The FAA may frown on previous falsifications.

Study FAA publications for background on disqualifying conditions and how the FAA evaluates psychiatric conditions.

Last edited:
I am not a pilot and I got a Class II cert to apply for jobs with companies to be aircrew in the back.
We don't really know what this is, because aside from the ever growing scarcity of a flight engineer, there's no such thing as aircrew in the back in the civilian world. I'm trying to imagine what that would be... Flight engineers, navigators and radio operators don't exist anymore. The only "crew" in the back would be a flight attendant. I'm not sure they require medicals.
My company runs some Mechanics and Load masters around in our airplanes, but they are in no way a crew member and do not require medicals that I'm aware of.
We also have no clue what a class II cert is, because, well that's not a name of anything in the civilian world. Class 2 FAA Medical?
If you do hold a Class 2 medical and lied on your application at the advice of some morons, you'd probably need to talk to a lawyer to figure that one out.

We don't really know what this is, because aside from the ever growing scarcity of a flight engineer, there's no such thing as aircrew in the back in the civilian world. I'm trying to imagine what that would be... Flight engineers, navigators and radio operators don't exist anymore. The only "crew" in the back would be a flight attendant. I'm not sure they require medicals.
My company runs some Mechanics and Load masters around in our airplanes, but they are in no way a crew member and do not require medicals that I'm aware of.
We also have no clue what a class II cert is, because, well that's not a name of anything in the civilian world. Class 2 FAA Medical?
If you do hold a Class 2 medical and lied on your application at the advice of some morons, you'd probably need to talk to a lawyer to figure that one out.

Let's save the thread. I wonder how hard it would be to get a Flight Navigator cert. Wouldn't it be cool if they haven't updated anything since the 50's or 60's?

Last edited:
Class 2 faa medical. It is for an agency that has aircrew in the back as sensor operators and helo crewman. They require some class 2 as pilots.

I received numerous responses from AMEs regarding the conditions. One stated that it can be done with special issuance and the other said no the conditions are dsiqualifying.

When I mentioned Class II FAA MEDICAL I meant class 2 FAA MEDICAL

Class 2 faa medical. It is for an agency that has aircrew in the back as sensor operators and helo crewman. They require some class 2 as pilots.

Okay, I'm curious.

As far as the FAA is concerned, the only members of an aircrew that need a medical would be a pilot, flight engineer, or some elderly flight navigator that likes getting physicals.

Other than you being confused, I can only see two other possibilities, one possible, the other unlikely.

It is possible that a company commonly hires commercial pilots from their non-pilot (or non-commercial pilot) ranks. I can see why they might want to know if a new hire that's been identified as a potential pilot can obtain a 2nd Class medical.

It's possible but unlikely that a company is just using a 2nd Class medical as a screening tool for non-pilots.

Also, in common usage, saying that you "got your ticket" imposes a piloting cert on a medical cert.

Last edited:
I'm not confused look up CBP AEA or Law Enforcement Air division.
and I have gotten my Class 2 cert without being a pilot.

I'm not confused look up CBP AEA or Law Enforcement Air division.
and I have gotten my Class 2 cert without being a pilot.

I struggle to believe it but the CBP website lists a 2nd Class medical as being a requirement for a non-piloting position.

Also, I never suggested a non-pilot couldn't get an FAA medical. Most of us on here obtained a medical without being a pilot.

Last edited:
I would like to get your opinion before i invest in time and money for getting a class II certificate.
What's a class II certificate? Never heard of her.
Category 2?
Tier 2?
??

It that that new magenta-line-only cert one needs to fly GPS only with no reliance on VOR service volumes?
Or is that the the new ticket one needs to fly as a second class airman?

Or are you talking about Med Certificates?

I struggle to believe it but the CBP website lists a 2nd Class medical as being a requirement for a non-piloting position.

Also, I never suggested a non-pilot couldn't get an FAA medical. Most of us on here obtained a medical without being a pilot.

Well... think about that for half a minute. That's similar to why lots of agencies engage in flagrant age discrimination. It's got nothing to do with the actual health or capabilities of individual applicants. It has everything to do with spun stats regarding pay, pensions, and health insurance. It's as wrong, in an inverse sort of fashion, as the FAA saying arbitrarily that certain folks no longer need, well, really any valid medical, in order to fly airplanes.

I mean, if you really want healthy people who are capable of certain activities, make a valid test to measure the health and capacity you seek. Then give that test to ALL applicants, regardless of race, gender, age, species, off-planet status. Anyone who passes that test meets the standards. Stop making poop up and selling it as a ham sandwich!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... think about that for half a minute. That's similar to why lots of agencies engage in flagrant age discrimination. It's got nothing to do with the actual health or capabilities of individual applicants. It has everything to do with spun stats regarding pay, pensions, and health insurance. It's as wrong, in an inverse sort of fashion, as the FAA saying arbitrarily that certain folks no longer need, well, really any valid medical, in order to fly airplanes.

I mean, if you really want healthy people who are capable of certain activities, make a valid test to measure the health and capacity you seek. Then give that test to ALL applicants, regardless of race, gender, age, species, off-planet status. Anyone who passes that test meets the standards. Stop making poop up and selling it as a ham sandwich!

It's like they are farming out HR to the FAA.

You're right about age discrimination. A buddy of mine in his 40's was hired by Toyota as a programmer. They didn't hire him because he failed their carpal tunnel test that was designed for assembly line workers.

Here’s the deal man. I worked for DHS-CBP for over a decade (and I transferred out of there). They DO discriminate hiring anyone with diagnosed mental condition (i.e. PTSD, etc.) due to the significant risk factor it inherently presents. If you would have applied a decade ago, you would have slipped through the cracks. For the last 4-5 years or so CBP has significantly tightened up and realized that their 2+ OFFICER SUICIDES A MONTH were mostly Veterans. 17-21 Veterans already die per day by suicide. How can CBP even remotely justify hiring anyone with formally diagnosed PTSD? I’m not saying I agree with CBP but they have to do their own due diligence. If you’re getting disability for PTSD, physical ailments, sleep apnea, etc then that money is supposed to make up for the loss of employment you endure due to your injuries. So even if you power through your Class 2 medical, your psychological disability will not help your situation. I have seen a lot of • over my past 20 years as a paramedic firefighter and police officer/deputy. None of us get a nickel of disability for PTSD yet most of us are extremely messed up but we still qualify for these fancy flight jobs. My point is, get that diagnosed mental condition off the books (get better on the record) and then apply. I’ve seen my vet friends go both ways. Just my $0.02 ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back