VA legal stuff

Pilot Prospect

Posted this a few days back in flight surgeon and haven't heard an answer. I realize you can't speak to the medical issues, but perhaps the legal?

Veteran here with some questions based off of a thread I read earlier. I finally found a school that works with the GI bill after they closed the loop hole overspending. Now I am wondering if it's just a waste of time. I'm currently receiving 40% disability for wrist, shoulder, and minor tinnitus (only affects sleep...hearing tests are decent.) My eye sight is 20/20, i'm not color blind. My issues do cause me not to work in heavy lifting physical positions anymore, I am still physically fit to the full extent possible with said issues. I run, eat right, etc...just no crazy weight training. So my question is...if I'm collecting VA benefits...am I just wasting my time and GI bill heading in this direction? I can tell you without a doubt I don't want to end up in some federal witch hunt nightmare, so give it to me straight if you can.

Almost forgot,
Only meds I take are Motrin. I can sometimes go a week or so without any depending. I've learned of different ways to deal with pain online and when I was in physical therapy. It's helped a TON. I've never been a fan of the clouded pain med feeling. Tinnitus I deal with by using a fan as white noise while I sleep instead of sleep meds.

The problem you are running into here is that neither this section nor Flight Surgeon are actively handled by a dedicated individual any more. I try to help out in this one, but your issue is far more medical than legal. And I have Seiko experience with the VA.

For the medical, a recommendation. Get into the AOPA forums. It may require an AOPA membership but you should be able to get a free trial good long enough for this. You can log into its forums anonymously and go to their medical sub-forum. It is actively moderated by a very knowledgeable Senior Aviation Medical Examiner.

90% disabled vet here. I hold a class 2 and I am a professional commercial pilot. Nothing you list should disqualify you for at least a class 2. The Tennitis and lack of sleep issue might give the examiner some heartburn but if it doesn't violate anything on the exam criteria it should be issued. Google guide for aviation medical examiners and find the guidance for your specific issues.

Avoid Dr. Bruce Chin on AOPA he is more trouble than he is worth. My advice is speak with a local AME unofficially first about your issues before you apply. A simple phone call will work. Discuss your issues and then if the AME thinks he/she can pass go through the official process to apply.

In a lot of cases veterans get worked up over nothing. I did too. Follow the guide for aviation medical examiners and it will tell you all you need to know.

One other thing is look into VA Voc Rehab benefits for flight training. It might get you around the limits on flight training.

I will do all of this and then some! Thanks guys! You just made my week so much better you have no idea lol. Feels like I run into a brick wall every time I think I've figured things out since becoming a civilian. Knowing there's still good possibility for me to do something for a living that I would truly enjoy is a good feeling. Thanks again and I am sure you'll see me around with more questions haha.

I'm a 10% er. On the civilian side, I have no troubles or road blocks. Reported every time on MEDEXPRESS or whatever the FAA system is.

I'm currently active(ated) duty, so I'm running into the VA stop payments. They're pretty slow, as you know. My only issue.

Cheers and good luck.

Back