UVSC vs. ERAU, my thoughts and decision

Ophir

Well I have decided to transfer. I have been with UVSC for three semesters and in that time I would have to characterize their program is lackluster. I am a 34-year-old career changer so I am not the typical student, but then again, maybe I am. I am now going to be going Embry-Riddle’s distance learning program out of Northern Utah.

I found all the classes at UVSC way too easy. Now for some, that may be appealing, but for me, this was not what I was looking for going back to college. I have decided to go back to finally get my bachelor’s degree after having never made it through when I was younger. With that said, I have also graduated from the school of hard knocks and so getting the degree has less tangible value than it may for most. When I started with UVSC I was quite psyched to get going and get done. However, now that the process has been unfolding I have found that I am not impressed with UVSC and I am quite impressed with ERAU.

UVSC, in my opinion, is a school that is capitalizing on a niche market with a substandard product. When I first thought of the idea of an online education it was really appealing but as time wore on, I found that I wasn’t really being educated. I did however give UVSC a nice chunk of money. At the time of paying all my tuition fees I thought, “Well, I have to pay to play and this will get me my degree.” I was only partly correct in that statement. I would have graduated from UVSC but I wouldn’t have had much to show from it. In fact, I only had two semesters left. Although in those two semesters I was going to be forced to take a multitude of worthless credits, including six credits ($130/credit hour) or co-operative work in a lower division class. This sounds fine but what the college wants you to do is work any job. You could be flipping burgers and receive credit for this. Once you get to upper division you would need to work in your chosen industry but for the lower division credit they just wanted you to have a job. This may be a good thing for a 19 year old who has never worked but I really see it as milking money from students. An experience such as this would prove nothing towards your knowledge and ability to succeed at a higher level in life. Additionally, they were requiring me to take Health and Wellness as well as Fitness for Life courses. This may sound like no big deal but I had transferred to them countless credits in Nutrition/Health and Wellness and physical education. I was a Division One Varsity athlete while in school and received many credits for my physical education as well. The painful part of this story is that I petitioned the graduation department to review my credits for these classes but they would not even return letters sent to them, three in total.

So enough of UVSC, it is a lackluster institution and has a lackluster program for graduation. Luckily for me ERAU is here in N. Utah and I can now take classes with them. The cost is only $30/credit more than UVSC and I will now be gradating in one year. I am pretty stoked and I can honestly recommend that if anyone is looking into any distance-learning program, call ERAU and talk with an advisor. This is a great institution with great people and has a LONG standing reputation as being the leader in the aviation world for producing academic aviators and the like. If you have questions PM me or flame away here.

Congrats, Ophir, I think you'll be happy with Riddle. My complaints about Riddle were always limited to flight training ... not the quality of it (which was excellent) but the fact that their administration of it was nightmarishly bad. The academics, which is what concerns you obviously, were outstanding. Absolutely second to none. I think you'll be pleased.

Good luck and keep us posted ...

FL270

I hate UVSC and I hate their program. I've never met worse pilot skills and radio calls in controlled airspace. Many of the instructors will avoid Class B here at SLC and fly to Ogden to complete the requirement. You guys really have to hear it. I do have , however, some friends down their and they are good pilots but I would agree I feel it is a substandard product.

This spring semester with UVSC will be my 6th. Im pretty much finished with all of the lower and upper division credits and will be focusing primarily on GenEd classes this summer and fall. So needless to say I have been around this block a few times.

I somewhat agree with what you said about the strength of classes and education with UVSC. The main problem with most students learning through a distance education program is dedication. Really you get out of it what you put into it. I know this is true in all areas of life, but especially true with UVSC. Your learning level will be directly proportionate to the amount of time you spend reading and studying.

You can get A's and barely crack a book, but your knowledge level will definitely show to instructors, DE's and most likely and importantly, people interviewing you for a job.

UVSC has come a long way in the time that I have been with them. Their distance education department is an ever evolving program that strengthens every year. The guys there honestly try to help you achieve your goals in the best way that they know how, and they are usually very helpful since they have gone through or are going through the process themselves.

I have also had these thoughts about UVSC that you mention, but after meeting Ron Smart, the head of the aviation department, I knew that the program was a good one. He really cares about each students progress. Rick Vincent is also another great asset to their program. I should really include everyone, because in the 5 complete semesters that I have been there, NOT ONCE has anyone ever been rude to me or put me on the back burner because they thought I was unimportant.

I will continue to take classes through UVSC and finish my Bachelors there. I understand your thoughts, Ophir, but I wouldnt go so far as to call it "lackluster". You can get a real quality education through their program, if you want it. I hope you get everything you want out of ERAU, I always wanted to go there when I was in high school.

My beef with UVSC (and it could be the case with all colleges but I have no comparison) is the BOOKS! Corbin buys a couple hundred dollars worth of books every semester. And without fail "the instructor doesn't like the book so they changed it for next semester" which means they won't buy it back. And half the books he never even opens! He had a weather class last semester that required a $90 book. Everyday he had to download and print something off the net, which ended up a inch and a half thick, the size of a text book. But it was date material so it was useless at the end. So not only did he buy a $90 text book that was never opened, but he also had to print his own at home and it's useless. And neither are worth any money now. Is this a problem every where or just UVSC?

Oh-and I second what you said about Ron Smart. He's the only one I have met, and it was a loooooong time ago, but he was very polite to me and I'm just the wife!
grin.gif
Corbin speaks very highly of him. When he was discouraged and ready to give up, Mr. Smart really helped him through it.

That is a problem at most schools. That is exactly how it was for me in college. Now my brother and sister go to schools where for most of the classes they will let you rent the textbooks from the bookstore, and you can still highlight or make notes like you could in your own books. This has really cut down on their book expense. I don't think either one of them has ever paid more than $100 for a semesters books, and I don't think I ever paid less than around $275 per semester.

At Ohio State I pay about 200-300 per quarter, three times a year. 600-900 per year is the norm for most people I know.

Mt Hood screws us over here for books. one of my hotel management books was 115 and it only retails for 96. I did find though that if you buy online you save a bunch of money. all you do is get the ISBN number off the book you need. i went to ecampus.com and the same book was only 85.

Hey, thanks! We'll check out online next time. Sounds like this whole book thing is a big conspiracy!

Ophir, do you already have a non-aviation degree or is this your first college experience? Basically, USVC or ERAU both fill the "I have a degree" box on the app. I went to ERAU. Did a combination of credit transfer, on campus, extended campus, and even a few "on line" courses. My general opinion of ERAU is that very little of what I got out of the experience helped me with my job today. When you work your way up as a pilot you'll gain experience from flying, initial ground schools, and recurrent training. I personally wouldn't worry about feeling "uneducated" by your USVC courses since you'll get all you really need later on. Just fill the square....

On the other hand. An ERAU degree might come in handy if the interviewer happens to like ERAU guys. Plus, it sounds like finishing your degree with either one will take the same period of time.

I'm curious what you do for a living now and what makes you want to be a career changer?

Well I dont know much about UVSC or Embery-Riddle so I wont chime in. Just wanted to say based on some of the opinions posted looks like you made the right decision Ophir. Congrats...

[ QUOTE ]
Ophir, do you already have a non-aviation degree or is this your first college experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have a degree but this is certainly not my first college experience. I began at University of Colorado in 1989 and also went to University of Nevada/Reno and University of Utah.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, USVC or ERAU both fill the "I have a degree" box on the app. I went to ERAU. Did a combination of credit transfer, on campus, extended campus, and even a few "on line" courses. My general opinion of ERAU is that very little of what I got out of the experience helped me with my job today.

[/ QUOTE ] I believe this is the case with almost all the undergraduate degrees out there. My point is that I should be able to maximize my learning potential if I chose to. UVSC does not provide this for me. I have never recieved less than and A from the school. Admittedly, I am the typical older career changer/curve breaker.

[ QUOTE ]
When you work your way up as a pilot you'll gain experience from flying, initial ground schools, and recurrent training. I personally wouldn't worry about feeling "uneducated" by your USVC courses since you'll get all you really need later on. Just fill the square....

[/ QUOTE ] Again, I know what you mean however, if I am paying for an education I want something out of it. I would like to see a minimum of guidance and a sembalence of structure for each class to at least define the learning experience. Although at first I thought all I wanted to do was to get the degree and be done with it, now I would rather get something for the time and money spent.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious what you do for a living now and what makes you want to be a career changer?

[/ QUOTE ] I have owned and opperated several businesses out of Telluride, CO. They ranged from home service companies to consulting in the ski industry. I sold them all. I want to fly. I want to be a career changer because I want life to be interesting.

I'm working on mine through ERAU too (have been for awhile now). I've had nothing but good experiences with it. Maybe we'll be in some of the same "classes", Ophir!

I graduated Riddle in '99 (Daytona) and agree with FL270. The academics are outstanding. I was an Airport Management guy so I had no contact with the flight dept, but many of my friends always complained about scheduling. Since you are doing it online, you should have a great experience. Its a quality program. Good Luck!

FL270--what year did you graduate?

[ QUOTE ]
My beef with UVSC (and it could be the case with all colleges but I have no comparison) is the BOOKS!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like that at every college....i'm buying my books tommorow .....I cringe at the price that i'm thinking they might be.
mad.gif

Adam

Sounds like that $90 book might have been Aviation Weather 2nd Edition by Jeppesen. If it is, I also took that class last semester.

I also spend between $100 and $225 for books every semester. It helps a lot when books are reused like the Jepp Inst/Comm manual.

[ QUOTE ]
FL270--what year did you graduate?

[/ QUOTE ]December '98 @ Daytona. Sounds like we were there at some of the same times.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a degree but this is certainly not my first college experience. I began at University of Colorado in 1989 and also went to University of Nevada/Reno and University of Utah.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, Chuck has a degree in skiing!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Geesh, I was trying to look academic and you saw right through me. What does three ski schools and no diploma and then moving to Telluride tell ya?!?!?! HA

Back