UVSC vs. ERAU, my thoughts and decision

One of my good pals in DFW was a Forrestry major.

Of course he went on to fly F/A-18's in the Navy, but he had all the intentions in the world to get out of the Navy and work in Yellowstone before deciding to become an airline pilot.

[ QUOTE ]
Geesh, I was trying to look academic and you saw right through me.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're talking to somebody who used to work weekends and holidays in the Brighton ticket office and took only M-W-F classes during Winter quarters. Believe me, I know the drill!
grin.gif

Dude, I know you! j/k

Thanks for all the encouragement for my transfer. I know for some that choice wouldn't be as clear as it was for me. Believe me when I say that I had been frustrated with UVSC from the beginning. This was becuase they said they would provide something and never did. This was largely based on me expecting something and not finding it there.

I have begun class with ERAU and it is great. I also discovered along the way that despite all the great things that the internet is, I perfer a live teacher telling me about the things they believe in. I also like to know what that teacher tests like.

For what it is worth, I hope this thread may help some who are faced with the choice in the future.

Aloft, get up here and let's go skiing!

The nice thing about ERAU is it's the same status degree no matter which campus you go to. I was able to transfer most of a two year degree from the local community college and got about half a years worth of credits for having taken my writtens and flight training up through CFI. Back in the day, you only had to take on flight course to graduate...got my CFII at ERAU. I did have to undertake "equivalencey training" to bring myself up to the "Riddle standard". That was basically doing my CFI over again. Honestly, it was good training and something I needed cause my CFI training had been weak but I got kinda sick of the Riddle attitude. After a year and a summer on campus, I was ready to leave even though I only had about another year to go. I was a young guy with a CFI who wanted to instruct while in college. No way Riddle would hire me since I wasn't one of their products...there were way too many CFI's around anyhow. I figured I could leave Prescott and finish up my degree though the international campus program that Riddle has at a lot of military bases. I moved back to Washington and finished up by taking classes at Fort Lewis, McChord, and later Whidbey Is NAS. While I still wasn't able to find a CFI job, I was happier being closer to home and out of Prescott. In the end, looking back on it, I wish I had just stayed put and finished up on campus but I was young and restless....took me an extra year to finish with all the messing around I did.

Not sure why I wrote all this but that's my story. It just goes to show that there is a lot of flexability in the ERAU programs.

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, how much were the costs to enroll in ERAU distance learning ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No up front $, but $169/credit hour.

Oops, Yeah, what he said.
grin.gif

I think mine was about $507/class (3 credit hours each) plus books. BTW, just got the results of my midterms, and I have As in both classes so far. Woot!

I instruct at BTF and we do the UVSC distance learning thing too. I have to agree with thought of getting back what you put into it. I worked with a student who was very dilligent in doing his online courses, and it really showed in our ground. He was sharp. Though from what I could see, if he had wanted to, he could have put less effort into it and still pulled decent grades.

I have heard some negative things from local DE's regarding the school itself, but have no personal experience with the school other than the constant collision avoidance I practice when I fly near Provo.

Personally I went to the University of Utah and did my ratings later at several local FBO's. No complaints

[ QUOTE ]
and did my ratings later at several local FBO's. No complaints

[/ QUOTE ]

LHP! My career as a desk jockey has come to an end. 4 and a half years, ugh. I was catching up to Matt's seniority. Oh well, no more sleeping on the job, free headset rentals, charts...

So did you graduate G? Are you working on your CFI stil. Give me a ring, let's fly.

I am up in PIH for my first paying job as a pilot, SWEET.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geesh, I was trying to look academic and you saw right through me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're talking to somebody who used to work weekends and holidays in the Brighton ticket office and took only M-W-F classes during Winter quarters. Believe me, I know the drill!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto you guys. I did the same drill with winter quarter at UC Davis. 50+ days on the slopes with a minimum load to be considered a full time "student". Its a wonder I was able to finish in slightly over 4 years.

Ophir, did you race for UNR? If so, when? I skiied on the UCD team from '89-'91. Maybe I skiied down the ruts you made. You guys smoked.

Yeah, I race for UNR but only for one year. The coach there sucked and was full of empty promises, I so tranfered to U of U to ski here in Utah.

Skiing in college is the best, but it didn't do great things for my GPA. I guess that is why I am finishing now. HA

Will fly . . Fortunately I only did my instrument at LHP. UAA has been pretty good to me though. Where are you flying now?

Back