Using Airborne Wx Radar: Practical use books/articles?

I cant give you tips on wx radars.......I’ve been told ours (in the 73) is good, have no idea if that is true or not.

But I mean you basically have what, an Auto mode and then manual control with like a couple things you can adjust? In the scheme of airborne radars (regardless of purpose), these are Tonka truck levels of complexity. I don’t think I’d waste too much time on it. They’re built to be turned on and used by folks with no experience working radars, or understanding of the fundamentals of radar theory. If you are really interested, I’d have a look at https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Modern-Radar-Basic/dp/1891121529/ref=asc_df_1891121529/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312089812503&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2242460335967829949&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033291&hvtargid=pla-490500875275&psc=1

I’ve had some edition of this book on my shelf for years. I believe there is a section devoted to wx radars, but I’m not home right now so i cant confirm that. It’s a pretty good primer at the unclassified level

You're sitting on some gold. That book RENTS for $80 on Amazon....

Look into the RCT/REACT mode, it will show you if a cell is blocking returns behind it and creating a shadow. Really helpful when dodging the big stuff, but also can use it (in the opposite way it was meant) to decipher ground return vs actual precip. Another trick I picked up was using the joystick function that no one uses. If ATC tells you about a cell that you’re not seeing, use the joystick to mark on your MFD the approx direction and distance they gave you.

Last edited:
The RTI course (Eric Eliel took over from Archie) is excellent. He goes a bit overboard with some stuff (like…with as many redundant RNAV systems as a modern jet has, will I ever use it for navigation?) but still the best radar training I’ve had. He flies for an airline and does seminars as a side hustle. I caught him one year at the Bombardier Safety Stand Down and have a copy of their guide in our flight operations Box account. Having a consistent tilt strategy helps to objectively evaluate storms instead of just “tilt till it looks scariest” or “tilt till you get ground clutter and then tilt back up” (basically the extent of my radar training from the wealth of knowledge at FSI). Airborne Weather Radar Seminars | Radar Training International | Aircraft weather radar instruction

Look into the RCT/REACT mode, it will show you if a cell is blocking returns behind it and creating a shadow. Really helpful when dodging the big stuff, but also can use it (in the opposite way it was meant) to decipher ground return vs actual precip. Another trick I picked up was using the joystick function that no one uses. If ATC tells you about a cell that you’re not seeing, use the joystick to mark on your MFD the approx direction and distance they gave you.
RCT was pretty useful, and yeah I forgot about the joystick- pretty useful for asking for deviations too, plop where you want to fly and can sequence it as a waypoint with your “when able direct ‘fixxx’” and fly it in nav if you want
will let you monitor the cells as youre tracking to your pilot defined waypoint and see how fast it is moving across your next leg

its more about the experience that comes with time, building a mental model of what the weather ahead looks like. use it every chance you get when in the clear and keep playing with it til you have some understanding of what returns look like out the window

thanks for the reminder on this. I need to see what, if any documentation we have around RCT mode there is.

Keep it turned on when you pull up to the line guy. He'll appreciate that.

e93042863d9722a6d3a32cebbd11f14a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do any of you more seasoned blokes have some recommended reading on using your typical airline radar effectively?

We've got some stuff in our ASM that's okay, and a couple of CBTs which cover the really rudimentary aspects, and I've got my head wrapped around the basics, but I'd like a little more practical application/depth to it.

Yesterday we were dodging some minor convective stuff around the DFW area en-route to IAH. CA and I were working together using the radar and the Mk1 eyeball to chart a safe path (which was kind of fun, honestly - I like weather flying and I guess I' m weird for it) but I was realizing how much I DON'T know beyond what I DO. Looking to learn more.
Figure out what size RADAR dish you have. After that tilt angle vs range vs altitude is just a bit of simple trig that can be practically applied using simple arithmetic. Other things to be aware of are attenuation and blanking. Add to that pattern recognition: ragged return edges, hooks, and strong gradients. You're 80% there. There are some pretty decent vids on the tubes, but beware cheap imitations of real information.

Figure out what size RADAR dish you have. After that tilt angle vs range vs altitude is just a bit of simple trig that can be practically applied using simple arithmetic.

You also need to know what kind of power you are putting out for that to be helpful.

Additionally, there is a huge amount of signal processing done by most units (a Honeywell guy said that if your display does color, it's doing processing as well) and dare I say "AI" (because we use that term for everything else now) that defines what you see, and even more importantly what it means.

You also need to know what kind of power you are putting out for that to be helpful.

Additionally, there is a huge amount of signal processing done by most units (a Honeywell guy said that if your display does color, it's doing processing as well) and dare I say "AI" (because we use that term for everything else now) that defines what you see, and even more importantly what it means.
Yeah, for sure there's lots more to RADAR. By no means was I presenting a masters class. I was going more for something like the IKEA assembly booklet for the Tobias Chair - that might actually hold your ass up if you don't forget that one washer and wing nut.

Back