USAir

WacoFan

Bigly
USAPA lost their lawsuit and they are appealing the decision. The remedy portion of the trial is due to start in August. With a run-up in fuel prices I have questions:

1) How long can they continue to run seperate operations?
2) Who would merge with them in their current state (seperate)?
3) With no merger available, and no savings from consolidation of operations, how long can they survive? Will a fuel run-up like last summer doom them?
4) If they go under, who are the big winners? Who is best suited to capitalize on USAirs demise?

Southwest would stand to benefit with PHL and PHX operations. Less West coast competition would also help Southwest. Delta would benefit on shuttle routes and from Atlanta where they would share reduced hub pressure with AirTran.

I could see JetBlue cherry picking out of Phoenix and Boston.

The big question mark would be who flips enough coin for the DCA and LGA slots. Also could Republic take over some Airbus and fly them?

The "synergies" of the merger are something like 98% realized despite that separate pilot groups. In other words, if they can't make money with the groups separate they probably can't make any money with them flying together.

With the latest stock offering, the financial position is actually relatively good (if an airlines financial's can every be considered good).

Plus with no Airways you can kiss RAH, AWAC, PDT, PSA and Mesa all GOODBYE! What's the point of this article and thread after all? To bash airways? Last I checked things were getting better over here. Number one on time last year, Captain Sully etc...

HA! You know that an airline is in trouble when the second thing you mention about things getting better is the captain of a flight that crashed :)

My mistake. I always assumed that a complete loss of the airframe was a crash, regardless of how many people walked off :)

My mistake. I always assumed that a complete loss of the airframe was a crash, regardless of how many people walked off :)

Its all been positive press. Last time I checked the only press I've been hearing about CAL is bad press. FO gets kicked off trip because of a wrist band, etc etc etc.... :) UAL/CAL/Midwest.... Could be anyone who folds. This thread was someone trying to stir a pot or something. And or someone who has not been following USairways....

Its all been positive press. Last time I checked the only press I've been hearing about CAL is bad press. FO gets kicked off trip because of a wrist band, etc etc etc.... :) UAL/CAL/Midwest.... Could be anyone who folds. This thread was someone trying to stir a pot or something. And or someone who has not been following USairways....

Not stirring the pot at all. Not sure why you are so defensive. It would seem that USAir is among the weakest of the large carriers and if oil continues to increase in price we could see similar financial carnage to last summer. I was simply asking what the situation at USAir was. Certainly USAir has a "unique" situation with their pilot group, the union just lost a potentially huge lawsuit it may not have the means to pay for once the remedies are in, and the list is still not merged and the pilots not close to a contract.

USAir is the most interesting story out there because of the split pilot group. Just trying to learn more.

And because of the split pilot group the guys flying the A330, B757/767's are being paid the lowest wages in the industry. Right now the labor is cheap due to the fact the group is split and until there is ONE group management refuses to negotiate with ANY side. They will only begin to talk when there is ONE group. Until then their rates will be low and thus Parker/Kirby have it going in the right direction. Record setting load factor and the fact is the major losses are in the international runs right now. If you follow airways we dont have a large Intl flight structure and thus that freight and loss in the INTL markets are hurting Usairways like it would a DAL/UAL etc.

Not stirring the pot at all. Not sure why you are so defensive. It would seem that USAir is among the weakest of the large carriers and if oil continues to increase in price we could see similar financial carnage to last summer. I was simply asking what the situation at USAir was. Certainly USAir has a "unique" situation with their pilot group, the union just lost a potentially huge lawsuit it may not have the means to pay for once the remedies are in, and the list is still not merged and the pilots not close to a contract.

USAir is the most interesting story out there because of the split pilot group. Just trying to learn more.

In my opinion, at present, the differences between the financial stability and future security of any air carrier legacy or otherwise in the current state of the economy is negligible at best. And that is despite their individual current challenges. The entire industry is in deep deep trouble. And until airline managements across the entire spectrum can begin to run their respective companies with a methodology formula that is sustainable in an economy where market volatility and extreme fluctuation is the norm vs. attempting to "weather out the storm" so to speak, all carriers are in danger of failing in their entirety.

Singling out one carrier as the weakest at a point where all carriers are at their weakest is a bit trivial I think.

True, US Airways has a unique set of problems in a time of industry wide crisis. But nothing at Airways currently makes the company any more susceptible to failure than any other air carrier at present.

USAir = dieing a slow death.

DAL = dying a slow death
CAL = dying a slow death
UAL = dying a slow death
AAL = dying a slow death
SWA = dying a slow death
JBA = dying a slow death...

etc etc.....It's all meaningless until paperwork gets filed and assets get sold.

Back