USAir

I thought we've been through this: USAirways will be around as long as mesa which equals til the end of time. They have been closer to death more often then any other major and guess what....? Still around.

Hey buddy, I'm doing good to remember USAir - I still remember Allegheny, Piedmont, PSA, and Mohawk.
In the interview, when I asked why PSA? by the HR lady, I mumbled something about being wholly owned by USAIR was great... and I still got hired.:D

In the interview, when I asked why PSA? by the HR lady, I mumbled something about being wholly owned by USAIR was great... and I still got hired.:D

Friend of mine died last year. He was an old timer - Air Force, then Air America in SE Asia, and finally to PSA in the early 70's. He retired a year before USAirways Group bought PSA. Had some exceptional stories...

News out of phx tonight is that there are going to be 400 reductions (voluntary LOA or furlough) of FA staff...the news folks even said "Doug Parker, CEO of USairways, said USAirways is in its worst situation since 9/11"...interesting words from a CEO that doesn't seem to care...i bet he's just looking for another "saving" merger...

anyways, most will come from phx and las.....and apparently, most employees don't know about this yet (or so they say).

News out of phx tonight is that there are going to be 400 reductions (voluntary LOA or furlough) of FA staff...the news folks even said "Doug Parker, CEO of USairways, said USAirways is in its worst situation since 9/11"...interesting words from a CEO that doesn't seem to care...i bet he's just looking for another "saving" merger...

anyways, most will come from phx and las.....and apparently, most employees don't know about this yet (or so they say).

What he said according to the press release today was that the passenger revenue has seen an even worse decline than 9/11.

Eh, I still say USAir most of the time. I hated the name change at the time, and I still do.

The name change and new paint scheme came from "Johnny Quest", big hands, red suspenders and invariably a trail of destruction where ever he went (for everyone but him).

How did you not gouge your eyes out with rusty spoons for all those years?

We had some really GREAT people in the training dept and many of the 'line swine' were fun to work with. Many left... one guy who was big with the A320 introduction AND the A330 intro got tossed and he left. One of the most creative fleet managers resigned and is now VP Ops with another carrier. Another bunch of guys I knew resigned a while back and are now in management positions with a fractional. ALL great guys who labored in spite of the environment and turmoil. I had and still have great respect for them.

And then we had the suck-ups who would tell you it was noon in the middle of the night if the big boss said it was so. I remember one suck-up telling everyone Johnny Quest was forming the next great airline. Later another said Davy was THE one who was going to recreate the corp culture and he was going to be there until the last dog died. Right...

But the line crews...grand people. Above that..just no leadership and no vision. (one man's opinion)

You know what? People have been predicting the demise of USAir since the 1980s, yet it still hangs around. :rotfl:

Back