UPS strike vote

I heard a management culture story about the company recently. Not from a dispatcher. Upper management identifies certain employees who want to be managers. People who are willing to lean on and walk over anyone and do anything to further their own careers. These potential managers are hired into mid-level management, acting as "lieutenants" to the upper managers. The lieutenants do the dirty work and will cheat and lie to bust (some) laborers either by behest or by independence to impress the superior.

Not that all mid-level managers operate in this way. The problem for these lieutenants is that they never get promoted further. Because they have already demonstrated that they can't be trusted! They're caught in a trap.
So, how does one make it to upper management then?

I heard a management culture story about the company recently. Not from a dispatcher. Upper management identifies certain employees who want to be managers. People who are willing to lean on and walk over anyone and do anything to further their own careers. These potential managers are hired into mid-level management, acting as "lieutenants" to the upper managers. The lieutenants do the dirty work and will cheat and lie to bust (some) laborers either by behest or by independence to impress the superior.

Not that all mid-level managers operate in this way. The problem for these lieutenants is that they never get promoted further. Because they have already demonstrated that they can't be trusted! They're caught in a trap.
Gee whiz, Kev, if this were true then the employees wouldn’t respect them and there would be all kinds of labor problems.

I wonder if some on the inside would argue that their basic business model includes violating bargaining argreement work rules? Maybe you’re on to something. Do you practice labor law by chance?

My point is that there are some things that don’t belong in a union contract. For example, one of the articles said “the union wants UPS to eliminate late-night deliveries.” That’s a business/competitive issue, not a labor issue. Certainly negotiate the pay and working conditions for that work, but not the work itself.

How long have the UPS dispatchers been in mediation? Are you guys making ANY meaningful progress at all?

If it came to it where mediation didn't work out and the NMB released all involved with a 30 day cool down period, would they walk at the end of that period? How would it affect UPS? Since next and 2 day air are their key products it would definitely not be good for them.

UPS Airlines would effectively be shut down. Pilots union is allowed, per contract, to honor picket lines of other employee groups. Managers could dispatch and fly but the number of flights getting out would be a small fraction of normal.

Back