UPS Hiring

What percentage of lines are overnight and how long would it take to get a day line
Totally reasonable question. Still, I can probably learn that during an interview. Me? I'm just getting a resume in front of somebody and gettin' in the door.

Anyone who knows almost certainly works at UPS. It’s a trucking company with airplanes, the majority of management has less experience than those we hire. The company is frustrating to work for, because the group isn’t as valued as it should be... So if you can deal with the frustrations, there’s positives to be had.
This is well-stated. It was my dream to work there (son of a pilot, Louisville kid). Worked on the ramp as a marshaller, learned a lot about the corporate and management culture in ramp, dispatch, and flight ops.

Thing is this - If you're a complainer-type or someone who nitpicks every little working condition, or someone who is gung-ho Union at your present shop, or have a chip on your shoulder which can create a bit of conflict to where you want to "punch up" ----

You
Will
Hate
UPS.

If you're willing to do anything it takes to get ahead, including throwing other people under the bus for your own glory...

You
Will
Love
UPS

...you'll be middle-management in a heartbeat. And you'll never be upper-upper management because those who hired you into middle management know you can't be trusted and they'll just keep giving you the dirty grunt work to mess with your underlings on their behalf.

IF - you aren't the type to make waves, keep your head down, try not to get involved in office politics, came from a crappy airline without a lot of resources and low pay, and will be happy to collect a check that's much bigger and be happy with your benefits

You
Will
Tolerate
UPS.

All I'm going to do here, specifically, is warn the first group I mentioned to stay the hell away or you'll be a miserable POS at work, and then, at home, you'll walk in the door and kick your dog and subsequently maybe hit your wife or kids because you're that unhappy and frustrated. That part is an exaggeration, of course. Kind of.

This is well-stated. It was my dream to work there (son of a pilot, Louisville kid). Worked on the ramp as a marshaller, learned a lot about the corporate and management culture in ramp, dispatch, and flight ops.

Thing is this - If you're a complainer-type or someone who nitpicks every little working condition, or someone who is gung-ho Union at your present shop, or have a chip on your shoulder which can create a bit of conflict to where you want to "punch up" ----

You
Will
Hate
UPS.

If you're willing to do anything it takes to get ahead, including throwing other people under the bus for your own glory...

You
Will
Love
UPS

...you'll be middle-management in a heartbeat. And you'll never be upper-upper management because those who hired you into middle management know you can't be trusted and they'll just keep giving you the dirty grunt work to mess with your underlings on their behalf.

IF - you aren't the type to make waves, keep your head down, try not to get involved in office politics, came from a crappy airline without a lot of resources and low pay, and will be happy to collect a check that's much bigger and be happy with your benefits

You
Will
Tolerate
UPS.

All I'm going to do here, specifically, is warn the first group I mentioned to stay the hell away or you'll be a miserable POS at work, and then, at home, you'll walk in the door and kick your dog and subsequently maybe hit your wife or kids because you're that unhappy and frustrated. That part is an exaggeration, of course. Kind of.

This is just about true at any shop. Most of it at least.

This is just about true at any shop. Most of it at least.
Could be - yes. But I'd submit that the word "hate" is strong and its strength is applicable to the depth at which one may be unnerved at UPS, specifically.

If one were the type of dispatcher described under "UPS Tolerant" - one could easily be happy or very happy most anywhere else at a major. I'd wager there are many, many more tolerant than happy at UPS.

My shop, at a major? Most of us are the UPS Tolerant type - and we're either happy or very happy.

Pulling back to the comments about various retirement bennys, pensions are where it’s at if you have one. They’re becoming exceedingly more and more rare.

With regards to the 401k matching. WN, UA, and Boeing all match in the 8-10% range. I’m sure other shops have similar (please correct me if I’m wrong) but these are the only ones I’ve personally seen or from their HR.

Pulling back to the comments about various retirement bennys, pensions are where it’s at if you have one. They’re becoming exceedingly more and more rare.

With regards to the 401k matching. WN, UA, and Boeing all match in the 8-10% range. I’m sure other shops have similar (please correct me if I’m wrong) but these are the only ones I’ve personally seen or from their HR.

B6 does 5% but an extra 8% direct contribution in addition to that. Not sure if the others are similar or not incl DC

FedEx stopped their pension contributions for new hires a few years ago and are all 401k now. Up to 8% match under the new plan. Those that decided to remain with the old 401k plan+pension get up to 3.5% match. I suspect that eventually they’ll force everyone to that new plan at some point in the future.

I prefer a pension. I like the concept of a fixed income so I know what to expect. And I can plan on that to be there and anything Isave for over and above that number.

Question about those with 401k plans? Are they “traditional 401k” plans? Does anyone ever have issues with the “high earners” tests limiting the max contributions to a number below the federal limit? Does your retirement program have a way to offset if so? Or are should own with a separate IRA/Roth contribution? Also, does the match count toward the the federal limit?

Also… a brown bird told me not to expect any postings before Tuesday. With the USPS contract they’re going from “Moving at the Speed of Business” to “moving at the Speed of Government”

I prefer a pension. I like the concept of a fixed income so I know what to expect. And I can plan on that to be there and anything Isave for over and above that number.

Question about those with 401k plans? Are they “traditional 401k” plans? Does anyone ever have issues with the “high earners” tests limiting the max contributions to a number below the federal limit? Does your retirement program have a way to offset if so? Or are should own with a separate IRA/Roth contribution? Also, does the match count toward the the federal limit?

Also… a brown bird told me not to expect any postings before Tuesday. With the USPS contract they’re going from “Moving at the Speed of Business” to “moving at the Speed of Government”
The concept of a pension is great but what happens when a company files bankruptcy and they go after the pension? That's a very valid concern, as that has happened in this industry.

Company match/donations do not count against your max contribution (23k this year, not including catch up). If I recall correctly the max match/donation this year is around 60k.

I'd rather a generous 401k plan. As JG Wentworth would say... It's my money and I want it now!

The concept of a pension is great but what happens when a company files bankruptcy and they go after the pension? That's a very valid concern, as that has happened in this industry.

Company match/donations do not count against your max contribution (23k this year, not including catch up). If I recall correctly the max match/donation this year is around 60k.

I'd rather a generous 401k plan. As JG Wentworth would say... It's my money and I want it now!

That comment was indeed referring the high earners that exceed the individual contribution of 23k and 401k income limits. With our pay ranges, I would say only a few are hitting that salary limit for 401k participation.

No, I want to see the pay scale not the starting and top out pay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is how chatGPT ran it.

If the bottom of a pay scale is 6650.00 per month and the top of the pay scale is 12460per month what are the step increases in pay?

To find the step increases in pay, we first need to determine the total number of steps between the bottom and top of the pay scale. Then, we divide the difference in pay by the number of steps to find the increment for each step.
  1. Calculate the difference in pay:12460−6650=581012460−6650=5810
  2. Determine the number of steps:If each step increase is the same amount, we divide the difference in pay by the number of steps to get the increment for each step.
  3. Let's assume there are nn steps between the bottom and top of the pay scale.
    5810÷n=Step Increase5810÷n=Step Increase
    We need to find the value of nn.
  4. Choose a number for nn that divides 5810 evenly, let's start with 1010 steps:
    5810÷10=5815810÷10=581
  5. So, the step increase for each of the 10 steps would be $581.
If you need the exact number of steps, we can calculate it by dividing the difference by 581. But typically, organizations might have a certain number of steps predetermined in their pay scale structure.

(Forced divide by 584)

5810/581

To find out how many steps there are between the bottom and top of the pay scale, we divide the total difference in pay ($5810) by the step increase ($581):
Performing the division:
≈10≈10
So, there are approximately 10 steps between the bottom and top of the pay scale. Each step increases the pay by $581.

Back