UPS 1354 (BHM) CVR Transcript

i see, but it seem that he was fighting that 200 to 250 feet all the way down.

Until I see the animation of the yoke, throttle and rudder pedal movements while simultaneously reading or hearing the cvr I can not say either way if they were fighting anything or if they were stable. I do know the way we fly non precion approaches at my airline and in my USAF heavy unit. That said I'm not sure if UPS flys the same way/their old A300s have avionics and are equipped to fly that way. That said we do it in the H model C-130 so I'd imagine they do as well.

sigh; I didn't want to come off as patronizing, I was just explaining the mindset of how we fly approaches in larger, less manuverable, less able to be easily and accurately manipulated planes (like RJ and larger) and that I pretty much want to limit the amount of throttle movements as to remain stable. Didn't want to come off like a dick. Ah well.

Other than the conversation pre-start which I hope comes to light in the media, what stuck out to me was how it went from "Damn it we're too high" to hitting trees in what seemed like seconds. Things happen very fast...pretty much instantaneous AP disconnect and impact, very scary.

sigh; I didn't want to come off as patronizing, I was just explaining the mindset of how we fly approaches in larger, less manuverable, less able to be easily and accurately manipulated planes (like RJ and larger) and that I pretty much want to limit the amount of throttle movements as to remain stable. Didn't want to come off like a dick. Ah well.

I was mostly making fun of you for taking the time to read @queeno 's profile to see that he has an instrument rating but not looking a few lines lower to see that he's an ATCer.

Back