Unnecessary radio transmissions?

Holocene

I was landing at SYR once, and a controller was in the process of yelling at a JetBlue pilot as he apparently took the wrong taxiway.

Well another pilot got on the radio and said "jesus, where's your airport diagram!!!"

At the time there was a pretty good x-wind, and my landing was pretty ######. This same pilot got back on the radio and yelled: "help, I landed at the wrong airport!!!"

Could you get in any trouble for doing this?

I was landing at SYR once, and a controller was in the process of yelling at a JetBlue pilot as he apparently took the wrong taxiway.

Well another pilot got on the radio and said "jesus, where's your airport diagram!!!"

At the time there was a pretty good x-wind, and my landing was pretty ######. This same pilot got back on the radio and yelled: "help, I landed at the wrong airport!!!"

Did the controllers say anything to this pilot?

I don't know if you can get in trouble for it, but I know what you mean and I've heard it a few times. I take it as a sign of immaturity with comments like that. Sometimes it's ok but saying stuff like that is just uncalled for.

what a jerk. sometimes a funny quip is alright if the mood is right.... but if people are already getting yelled at and there is confusion, a snide remark is out of line....

Wow, that controller must have been really angry. I have never heard anyone get yelled at, except the guy that took off without a takeoff clearance.

I don't know if you can get in trouble, probably can, you definitely need second pilot running the radios otherwise they might match your voice.

IMO, I think the controller must have really been laying it on thick to have two guys smart off.

Reminds me of a joke I heard from around the way:

some airline pilot: "I'm ####### bored"
controller: "Whoever said that identify yourself!"
some airline pilot: "I said I was bored, not stupid"

I'm not sure if you can get in trouble for it, but it's terribly unprofessional.

I figure it's the controller's freq, not some free-for-all CB channel.

A guy I work with does this all the time, he always makes sure he says hi to all his buddies on the freq. Gets old fast.

Unprofessional for sure, but I'd rather hear jokes, remarks and shout outs on the ground frequency than on tower's.

Ahh crap! I feel like such a moron! :buck:*Edited*

Oh, I got you beat!!
This week I was fighting a strong crosswind takeoff, after rotation and airborne. Normally people say "positive rate, gear up", but my focused self said "Flight controls---Free and Checked". The sad part was I was not being funny, I was not thinking about what I said, and the other pilot looked over at me with the biggest puzzled look on his face. Then I realized what I said,:banghead: "positive rate, gear up".
I was so embarrassed the rest of the flight, thank goodness it was short. Oh and could not stop laughing till about cruise.

Oh, I got you beat!!
This week I was fighting a strong crosswind takeoff, after rotation and airborne. Normally people say "positive rate, gear up", but my focused self said "Flight controls---Free and Checked". The sad part was I was not being funny, I was not thinking about what I said, and the other pilot looked over at me with the biggest puzzled look on his face. Then I realized what I said,:banghead: "positive rate, gear up".
I was so embarrassed the rest of the flight, thank goodness it was short. Oh and could not stop laughing till about cruise.

LOL. One time after making a takeoff announcement to the cabin, I was answering an ammended taxi clearance by ground and I accidentally left my "Pax" button pressed in. The FA dinged the cockpit and say "uh..you guys are making your radio calls to the cabin.." The captain did his best to supress a smirk :p

LOL. I always enjoy it when I think I'm talking to tower or ground control, and find that I've got my "Pax" button pressed in, and having the FA ding the cockpit and say "uh..you guys are making your radio calls to the cabin.."

Those that have and those that will!

I don't know if you can get in trouble for it, but I know what you mean and I've heard it a few times. I take it as a sign of immaturity with comments like that. Sometimes it's ok but saying stuff like that is just uncalled for.

How about calling center "Little man in the big building on the ground"? Heard that one time; and center said "excuse me???" The pilot responded very promptly by saying "Uh roger Fort Worth Center...sorry about that..."

When you really want to be "cute" on the radio, remember that you sound twice as dumb and 33% as funny as you think it is.

I'll say hey to the controllers I know if it's not busy, otherwise, it's only the required transmissions. Of course I can't usually tell one persons voice from another, so they usually have to say something first anyway. And I wouldn't even think of giving another pilot crap on the radio. I can screw up just as easily - and it's terribly unprofessional.

What do controllers generally think about initial callups from pilots with "morning, afternoon, evening...XXXCenter...Callsign, etc." when the frequencies are not congested? Polite pilot protocol or unnecessary chatter?

Back