University of North Dakota Q&A's

UND CFII

University of North Dakota Q&A\'s

I want to thank "kntrdr" for offering to answer questions about his flight school. I think sharing information, for the common good, is what this site is all about.

So, I will follow suit. I would be happy to answer any questions regarding UND's program.
A few people from this site have already contacted me, and I would like to invite anyone else who has questions to e-mail me or use this forum.

Be Safe

Go SIOUX

------------------
Shawn M McCauley
CFII
University of North Dakota

[This message has been edited by UND CFII (edited November 21, 2000).]

Re: University of North Dakota Q&A\'s

Been doing some research and UND it is. Already sent my transcript and application. Have a 3.80 GPA so I definately think that I will be accepted. Only problem that keeps coming up is the DAKOTA weather. I'm from the northeast but the cold still gets me at times. Thanks a thousand for all the info Shawn. Believe or not, it resulted in me getting rid of my Embry-Riddle application. I looked over the cost and UND will cost me 1/2 or less of what Embry-Riddle would.

Thanks again for the detailed and fast response Shawn.

Antonio
smile.gif

My pleasure Antonio, I'm glad I could help.
Please be sure to tell our Cheif Pilot or the Director of Flight Ops I helped you make your decision. Maybe I will get a raise out of it?
smile.gif
Just Kidding!

Seriously though, the winters here are tough. It can get very cold and windy, but you get used to it after awhile. Soon you will be saying "It's not to bad out...its only 5 below"
smile.gif

Besideds when it is really cold, a warrior flys like a F-16. (well almost)

Take Care
See you in Jan.
Go Sioux

------------------
Shawn M McCauley
CFII
University of North Dakota

Hey Shawn! Sam Weigel here, I'm currently in Lovelace's CFI class, getting ready for the stage 35. I'm pretty sure I've met you before but not sure.

Yeah the NODAK weather sucks, I've only been able to fly 1 time out of 5 trys over the past 7 days. Hey it's supposed to get down to -10 F tonight. Oh well - it's supposed to get "all the way up to" 10 tomorrow :p

Anybody who'd like info on UND, I'm happy to supply info as well as Shawn.

I used to live up that way, but got tired of plugging in the car so it would start in the morning. I play golf in January in TX, but the summers here suck. Everything is a trade off I guess.

Yea, it was really cold this morning. I had a 0700 launch. I think it should be against the law to have to get up @ 0515 and then go oudside when it is -12F.
smile.gif
Like I said though, you get great performance in the cold. I had the Arrow up to 170kts GS (in a slight decent with calm wind)this morning.
At least it wasn't windy!

Like they say "-40 keeps out the riff-raff"

Sam: You are right, I think we have met before. Your name sounds familier. Well good luck on your 35! Remember to study that FOI stuff!
smile.gif

(For those of you who don't know, a "35" is the final stage check before the CFI checkride.)

Are you planing to apply to work at UND next semester?

Well, take care and good luck.

Shawn

Sup? How much free time do UND Flight students have? What times of the day are they usually flying? Because I wanna be able to go and hang with buddies and play a sport. I know I won't get a scholarship for hockey to UND, but I wanna be able to walk-on to the team, but I wanna know how this would affect flying? BTW, listen to the UND vs. CC game tonight guys, it's gonna be awesome! I was there last night, great game, but UND lost, so that sucked.

Hey Shawn,

Flying takes up alot of time. There are not many people who can play a sport and still have time for flying. I supose you could do all of your flying in the off-season. Even then it would be difficult.

Our hockey players dont have much of a off-season. They play from Oct.-Apr. every year, then they train all summer. I did know a girl that was a All-American in basketball and on the back-to-back Div.II national champs team, she was a flight student and a instructor for awhile.

So, I guess I'm saying It can be done, but it will not be easy.

Good Luck
Go Sioux

How much does UND charge for rental and instruction per hour? (Singles and Twins)

I originally planned to go their, but figured I could never afford it.

Thanks!

Hey, I dunno how much it is hourly. But I do know for me it's gonna cost about $90,000 total with flight time and tuition. It just depends if your a ND resident or MN resident or not.

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited December 11, 2000).]

I'm not sure of the exact cost, so these are aprox.

New Piper Warror III...$75/hr
New Piper Arrow........$90/hr
New Piper Seminole.....$180/hr
Beech Baron............$220/hr
Instructor Time........$30/hr

It is definatly more expensive than a FBO. But in my opinion, it is absolutly worth it.

[This message has been edited by UND CFII (edited December 11, 2000).]

UND CFI II, I am from Minot, ND but I live in Nebraska and I was wondering what the total cost for you in four years was? I always was told it was around $75000 but I never really checked with the school. Also, I was wondering if you know who Todd Rice is, I think he is an instructor there right now.

That figure sounds about right. It is alot of money. But its not that bad when you consider the cost of a BS in Aviation Managment is included in that figure.

I dont think I know Todd Rice. That is not too supprising though, since there are 150 instructors here.

Is it as cold in Nebraska, as it is here?

Take care

I just left Nebraska yesterday and it was cold there, but not nearly as cold as it was when I arrived home in Minot, ND. For anybody that doesn't know, the temps right now with wind chill are between 60-80 below zero with blowing snow. My car has trouble starting even if I ran it a couple hours before.

The flight costs at UND are as follows, off the top of my head:

PA-28 Warrior - $79/hr
PA-28R Arrow - $103/hr
PA-44 Seminole - $183/hr
BE-58 Baron - $230/hr
CFI/CFII - $33/hr

As far as total cost...I'm a MN resident, will end up appx $60k in debt.

Shawn, I'm actually gonna be doing an internship next semester, with TWA, so I didn't go to the workshop. I'll likely be instructing part 61 in STL over the summer, then will try to get hired by UND for fall 01 and spring 02. I hope to have my CFI/CFII/MEI by the end of the summer, will be doing CFII and MEI part 61 in STL since I'm an Air Transport major, so don't have to do em at UND.

My Stage 35 is scheduled for tomorrow. I am now in a constant state of repeating the mantra of Rote, Understanding, Application, Coorellation!

Heheh...as a sidenote to your "Great Performance in the Cold" claim...last week I flew when it was about -15F, got a 1500 fpm initial climb out of the Arrow! Was damn near pattern altitude before crossing the end of 35R - I thought I was in a Seminole! <vbg>

I'm considering attending UND and would like to get some info on the Air Transport Major any info would be great. Has anybody attended SFCC's articulation program for UND?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited December 30, 2000).]

Check out www.aero.und.edu that it the UND Aerospace page.

You can find a discription of all the aviation majors at that site. (I recomend the Avaition Managment major. It is harder than the Commercial Aviation major, however if you lose your medical you will have a solid business degree to fall back on.)

www.und.edu is the University's home page. It has nice pictures of campus and info on the rest of the University.

Good Luck

GO SIOUX

Thanks, I found alot of really good information on the site. There are a few questions it did not answer though. On average what type of flight time am I looking at graduating with in the commercial or atp majors or the management for that matter? Is it anywhere close the 1200? If not will internships as a CFI get me pretty close?

Thanks again.

Nimrod,

depending upon which major you do and what flight courses you take, by the time you finish CFI, CFII, and MEI you will have around 250-300TT. If you become an instructor and fly full time for us for about a year or so you will have enough time to get on with a reigonal.

1200 hours is a lot, very few of our instructors last that long most are hired with 600-800TT.

Good Luck

Back