University of North Dakota Q&A's

Re: University of North Dakota Q&A\'s

Thanks again. I can't wait to get there. One last question about housing I will be relocating my family {3 children} any good sources for rental homes?

Try www.gfherald.com that is the online version on the local paper. There is a clasifide section on that page. There might be something in there.

The University offers maried student housing, the appartments are small but they are very close to the aerospace buildings. That might not be the best option, since you have kids.

Good Luck

GO SIOUX

Shawn,

Dropping a quick note, hoping you see this tonight...can you instruct CFI's? May need somebody to do a lesson 36 on Sunday morning. It's a long story...but basicly I've been prevented from doing my stage 35 flight a whole bunch of times, now I'm down in St Louis as an intern at TWA's training center, just jumpseated up to MSP today, hoping to do my stage 35 up in GF tomorrow. If I can, I'd like to get the lesson 36 outta the way also. Lemme know...

--Sam Weigel
samuel_weigel@und.nodak.edu

Ok, scrap that. WX sucks for a stage 35 so I'm not driving to GF anyways. Ain't gonna happen this weekend - guess I'll just have to put in some more time on a B717 jumpseat in future weekends!
wink.gif

Sam,

No, sorry, I can't teach CFI's yet (probably may or june) so I don't think I'll be able to help you out with a review review flight.

Good Luck on on your checkride.

p.s. How is your internship going? What is the buzz at TWA about being bought-out by AAL?

I just want to hear on honest opinion. Does it really matter where you go to school to fly in a major airline. I live in Michigan so I am considering Western Michigan University, but then I hear such great things about UND, and see all the intern opportunities. Western does have an agreement with mesaba where all you need is 800hr total for a job. Just trying to figure out where I will have the best opprotunities.

Skubasteve,

As long as you have the required time and experience and a 4 year degree in something, you can get hired. The main reason people go to UND is to sperate themselves from the rest.

Everybody keeps saying, "There is such a pilot shortage, anyone can get hired." This is bull! All the airlines are still reciving way more appilcations than they have job openings. The Cheif pilot at a major airline may look at 100 aplications a day. What will set yours apart from the other 99 that day? What will get your resume put in the "call" file and what will get it put in the trash?

There is still plenty of competion for jobs out there. I may be alot less than 10 years ago, but there is still competion.

UND offers many different ways to seperated yourself from the "other guy". Internships and hireing agrements are just a couple.

That is not to say that you must go to UND or ERAU to fly fore the airlines. The airlines have many many pilots who went to a local college while instructing at the local FBO. There is nothing wrong with doing it that way. The botem line is, what ever gets the job done!

However if I am up for a job, and it comes down to me or another guy. If we both have the same flight time and experience, and I went to UND and he went to "Crazy Harry's Pilot School" in East Nowhere Fl. I like my chances in that situation. Like I said it is a way to seperate yourself form the "other guy"

I hope that dosent sound cocky, I really dont mean to be. There are alot of ways to get to the right seat of a airliner, inform yourself, and pick the way that is best for you.

Good luck to you

Hey Shawn, yeah I got my stage 35 all done and the lesson 36 done now. Waiting to get cleared for the stage 37. Then I'm done!

Yeah the TWA internship is going very well, tons of fun - jumpseating on a 757-200 to Puerto Rico this weekend. As far as being bought by American, most employees are ecstatic about it. It's the first job security many of them will have known, along with alot better pay. It kinda sucks for me, since as a former intern, TWA would've hired me at 1500TT if TWA was still around when I got that time. But I'm happy for the employees, this is far better than the other probable outcome, and hey - I'll know plenty of future American pilots who can walk my resume in there someday ;P But...it should be pointed out that this is NOT a done deal yet. The rumor mill is in full swing here at the training center...look for another major player to step up in the coming days.

I want to say thanks to und cfi for answering questions about und. I am submitting my online application, for next fall.

thanks again
roycet000

My pleasure guys.

I welcome any and all questions, about UND or flight traing in general.

Well gotta go to class.

Later

GO SIOUX

Back