United tries $249 fee to check luggage for a year

wheelsup

United tries $249 fee to check luggage for a year

United Airlines put a new twist on baggage fees Monday, introducing a sort of all-you-can-carry fee for luggage.

The airline said travelers could pay $249 for the right to check two bags every time they fly United or United Express for a year.

The annual fee covers domestic or international flights. It also covers standard checked bags for up to eight companions traveling under the same confirmation number as the subscriber, United said.

United charges $20 to check the first bag at the airport and $30 for the second. So a traveler would break even checking two bags after five trips. A family traveling together might break even or even save money on their first trip.

The nation's third-largest airline called it an "introductory price." It didn't say how long the price would be available, or how high it might rise once the introductory period ends.

The fee does not cover charges for oversized and overweight bags.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33183801/ns/travel-business_travel/
Neat idea.

I read that as, "We'll let people pay $250 to make it a little more painful to fly someone else in the next year."

I can't decide if that's evil-genius or evil-dumb. :dunno:

Better idea: Actually charge what it cost to move a person (and their 2 bags) from A to B rather than this nickel and dime crap.

-mini

Since most people click on the cheapest link on orbitz, I predict this will fail. If they're Frequent Fliers, they already get free checked bags so it's kind of pointless.

Better idea: Actually charge what it cost to move a person (and their 2 bags) from A to B rather than this nickel and dime crap.

-mini

That doesnt make any sense at all. You're insane!!!!!! God dammit!!!!

-Glen Tilton

Since most people click on the cheapest link on orbitz, I predict this will fail. If they're Frequent Fliers, they already get free checked bags so it's kind of pointless.

The American public doesn't respond to that. Would you pay $300 a month for cable TV? You'd get installation, unlimited cable boxes at your address, cable modem plus HD, Internet, phone, HB And premium movie channels.

Not true. You've got to fly at least 25K miles on United to get free bags. Simply having a frequent flier number won't do.

United actually gives its better customers more goodies. How crazy is that?

Not true. You've got to fly at least 25K miles on United to get free bags. Simply having a frequent flier number won't do.

nearly as crazy as not charging what something is worth. every amateur on the planet is now carrying their bag onboard. charge everyone $5 more per ticket, get rid of the checked bag fee, then maybe the vacationers will check their bags rather than standing in the aisle for 20 minutes trying to figure out where to put the damn bag.

nearly as crazy as not charging what something is worth. every amateur on the planet is now carrying their bag onboard. charge everyone $5 more per ticket, get rid of the checked bag fee, then maybe the vacationers will check their bags rather than standing in the aisle for 20 minutes trying to figure out where to put the damn bag.
Yeah. I think that has reduce on time departures, because we will get upto 15 gate checks at the last minute.

...and why do they always stick it over my row when they sit nowhere near me? Then they have to push their way to the back of the plane when we get to the gate rather than just reach up in their overhead and get the hell out of my way. No...they'd rather make everyone behind them spend a few extra minutes on the plane waiting for them.

Why?

-mini

I read that as, "We'll let people pay $250 to make it a little more painful to fly someone else in the next year."

I can't decide if that's evil-genius or evil-dumb. :dunno:

Although charging for bags is bogus...

AND conversely, people choosing to fly "Airline A" over "Airline B" because of a $10 cheaper fare is bogus...

Perhaps it's the poor man's frequent flyer program? Pay a flat fee for a year of baggage checks, chances are if UAL is $X more than a competing carrier, since you've already "bought in", chances are you'll book UAL.

Lets say you check 1 bag for $20, that comes to about 12 flights consisting of at least 12 segments. Chances are a person will have at least one connection on most of those flights each way. Meaning there is a good chance a person will end up flying 20 segments or 20,000 miles on UA that year. Meaning they become a Premiere before they hit the $250 mark and will be able to check bags for free anyway.

:dunno:

Yes, I understand that. But if you fly so often that you are going to save money by using this package from United, you are also probably going to be a frequent flyer.

Yes, I understand that. But if you fly so often that you are going to save money by using this package from United, you are also probably going to be a frequent flyer.

Well, if you fly enough, you won't have to pay it. This is so that people who fly once a quarter will go to United. They figure they've paid their $250, so they won't go somewhere else that's $10 cheaper since they'll have to pay to check their bags.

Flying once a quarter probably isn't going to get you enough miles to get to premier status. You've got to fly 25K miles to get there, and if you fly one transcon a quarter, you'll be around 5,000 miles short.

This probably makes premier and above fliers feel a little better, too. They can put a dollar value on one of the benefits they get from United.

And also, my employer would never let me expense this, therefore, it seems kind of silly.

Then again, my travel policy doesn't account for baggage fees. I have to take the cheapest flight, even if the baggage fee would make it much more expensive (not that I check bags, but not really the point here)

Charging for checked bags is bagary, plain and simple. Time for it to stop.

Just think in 6 months they will come up with an "all inclusive" package that gets you the ability to pick your seat, get a free soda and snack, and check your bags all for one low price.

Back