United tries $249 fee to check luggage for a year

Well, if you fly enough, you won't have to pay it. This is so that people who fly once a quarter will go to United. They figure they've paid their $250, so they won't go somewhere else that's $10 cheaper since they'll have to pay to check their bags.

Flying once a quarter probably isn't going to get you enough miles to get to premier status. You've got to fly 25K miles to get there, and if you fly one transcon a quarter, you'll be around 5,000 miles short.

This probably makes premier and above fliers feel a little better, too. They can put a dollar value on one of the benefits they get from United.

If you fly once per quarter, why the heck would you pay $250 for checked bags? It might be worth it for some large families, but then they are locked into using United. If they shop around, they will EASILY save more money if buying multiple tickets.

This probably works in a couple of small circumstances, but for the vast majority of travelers I just don't see where the savings is. For multiple trips in a year, it is most likely just going to be one person. The checked bag fee is $25/person. That would be 10 flights, most of which probably involve 2 segments. That almost meets the requirements right there.

Why is this bogus?

Because the more money they're able to charge, well, the more money that we can demand from the company on the next contract.

I go to work to get paid, not do my neighbor a favor.

I'd like another comma and perhaps a few more zeroes to the right of large whole numbers. A boy can dream can't he? :)

Because the more money they're able to charge, well, the more money that we can demand from the company on the next contract.

I go to work to get paid, not do my neighbor a favor.

I'd like another comma and perhaps a few more zeroes to the right of large whole numbers. A boy can dream can't he? :)

I understand your view point and it would be awesome if airlines priced their products better, but if I can save $10 by going United over Delta....I'm going Delta (just 'cause of you). However, if United is $10 cheaper then Airtran I am going United.

I understand your view point and it would be awesome if airlines priced their products better, but if I can save $10 by going United over Delta....I'm going Delta (just 'cause of you). However, if United is $10 cheaper then Airtran I am going United.

I feel like this is fine, but when airlines keep slashing fares they have to put in all these ridiculous fees and take away nice things then thats not nice

However, if United is $10 cheaper then Airtran I am going United.
You'd rather save 10 dollars and sit in an uncomfortable coach seat that hasn't been refurbished since the early to mid 90s on most aircraft rather than take AirTran who has a superior product and XM radio? I don't understand why $10 is such a big deal to most people, if you check a bag or want anything to eat on the plane, that $10 goes to United anyway.

You'd rather save 10 dollars and sit in an uncomfortable coach seat that hasn't been refurbished since the early to mid 90s on most aircraft rather than take AirTran who has a superior product and XM radio? I don't understand why $10 is such a big deal to most people, if you check a bag or want anything to eat on the plane, that $10 goes to United anyway.

Because some of us don't have travel bennies, have a family, and every dollar we save goes towards something else we have to pay for anyway. So, yes, $10 will help pay for a quarter tank of gas. I would rather suffer some discomfort (never have so far in any airplane I have ever flown on) and save a little dough.

PS - And XM radio? Whoopi-dee-doo!!! :)

Just think in 6 months they will come up with an "all inclusive" package that gets you the ability to pick your seat, get a free soda and snack, and check your bags all for one low price.

NOW yer thinking!

But how can you support a dozen small-jet providers doing that?

You might actually have to operate those flights yourself!

Crazy Talk!

Crazy! :)

BTW, rode on the mad dog for the first time in almost three years. Comfy!

How do you quantify that? Please explain. Does not compute.
Having flown 80+ segments on United in the past 12 months and 5 on AirTran, it was pretty obvious who has the superior domestic product, not just XM but the service and attitude of the crews was more "welcome aboard" than "I hate my job and I'm gonna make sure you all know it". I figured with all the talk of how US domestic flying has become a bus service everyone on here would rather opt for what little service is left, not go with whats $10 cheaper like everyone gawks about elsewhere on the forums. DL, FL, F9, B6, CO, VX=Good. UA, US, NW=bad.

Whenever I buy a ticket, I look at the product. There are airlines, which I will not mention, that I simply will not fly.

Arrogant, perhaps, but I'm all about service.

And no the steak at Wal Mart isn't the same that I get from the Hobe Meats -- knowledgeable staff, you can have anything custom-cut, dry-aged, fork freaking tender. Man, I'm going to have to go out and forage for food now.

And no the steak at Wal Mart isn't the same that I get from the Hobe Meats -- knowledgeable staff, you can have anything custom-cut, dry-aged, fork freaking tender.

I'm still waiting for peopleofhobemeats.com.

The filtering process I use for picking an airfare is something like:
  1. Do they help pay my bills?
  2. Is their price within 30%-ish of the group average (after taxes and feces .. the luggage one just complicates the calculation of a sum by a little)?
  3. What's the travel time from door-to-door?
  4. Am I going to earn points?
  5. Is it an RJ?
  6. Is there cattle-call seating?
  7. Will I have to be at the airport at 5AM?
That usually leaves 0 offerings, and so the Big Compromise begins.

"Superior Product" is relative.

In the past couple months I've made a few trips back & forth from IND to ATL. Rode Delta a couple times, rode Airtran a few times. Both times on DL I was put in a bulkhead seat with a smile from the agent, and F/As who were quite amicable. On Airtrain I was in the very back both times, seating room felt MUCH more cramped. Agents & F/As were just as personable as the DL folks I encountered. Advantage, DL, based on [my perceived] cabin comfort.

However, the above can only be my opinion, and others' experiences may vary.

"Superior Product" is relative.

However, the above can only be my opinion, and others' experiences may vary.
Exactly. Wifi and XM don't factor in for me...chances are I'm asleep before the wheels hit the wells anyway.

If an FA moves me to an exit row aisle seat (as sometimes happens - one of two positives about having to travel in uniform) ...that's a superior product. Whomever that happens to be that particular week. Last week, it was RAH. The week before it was AirTran.

-mini

So you are the sole judge of the "superior" product?

Please.

-mini
I've never flown on Alaska, but if someone who's flown them 100 times tells me they're not very good, I'd believe them. Isn't that all a review is? One person who has experience with a subject sharing their opinion? Everytime I fly I observe the crews, the gate agents, the whole operation and compare it to what I know of other airlines. I've read through the policies and such of many airlines, and trust me, there is a big difference between each one. On a bad day Jetblue might take 10 IDBs on an A320 because they accidently oversold it. United on that same day might deny 30 passangers boarding because they way oversell flights. Every airline works different, and thats something to consider when you pay for a ticket. You get to jumpseat, thats great, but I was talking about paying passangers who are at the airline's mercy when something goes wrong. But like you said, what do I know about FL being superior to UAs domestic product, I don't work around it or anything and see how they treat their passengers. Oh wait, I do.

Back