United Hiring

Unposting Date Sep 19, 2018

My guess is they don’t make first round of calls until last Friday of the month

Along with the horrid location, keep in mind that this posting is in part to replace the several people they lost to DL/AA/WN this summer. That type of lateral movement is unheard of at the major level, it's completely unique to them.

How many times have you heard about a DL/AA/WN dispatcher taking a pay cut and loss in seniority to go to another major?

Yup, two guys that I know that came from UA were both there for under 3 years so the paycut wasn’t much when considering the house and the property that they can afford here compared to Chi-town... both have little kids and that was the biggest difference for them, but I’m sure there are hundreds of other dispatchers there that would never jump ship... never heard of AA or DL dispatchers jump ship but I do know of a few WN dispatchers that took the DL test ( for them the reason might be wanting to dispatch across the world ).

Along with the horrid location, keep in mind that this posting is in part to replace the several people they lost to DL/AA/WN this summer. That type of lateral movement is unheard of at the major level, it's completely unique to them.

How many times have you heard about a DL/AA/WN dispatcher taking a pay cut and loss in seniority to go to another major?

Yup, the hiring is being largely driven by all those nonexistent people who left United for other majors...

Or perhaps, could it be because United is expanding their flying, and they need more dispatchers to support that?

Don't believe every rumor you hear.

I mean, I could see it. COLA in Chicago >>>>>>> Dallas / Atlanta.

You would be on the same pay scale, but take home a butt load more cash each paycheck.

I would apply this second if I wasn’t having so much hesitation about Chicago the city.

Lolz. One person went to Delta. One.

Troll.

You would be on the same pay scale, but take home a butt load more cash each paycheck.

I would apply this second if I wasn’t having so much hesitation about Chicago the city.

Chicago is like any other big town. Some parts are nice. Some parts are not quite as nice. COLA can be somewhat mitigated by a longer commute.

I'm sure if you are at a regional, the difference in pay will make up way more than the difference in COLA. If you get a 1br apt in Dallas on a regional salary, it is about half to 2/3 of your take home. I doubt this is a problem on a major salary in Chicago. Sure you could take home more at AA, but would you turn down UA if they offered for the chance to be one of a thousand applicants when AA opens again?

I'm sure if you are at a regional, the difference in pay will make up way more than the difference in COLA. If you get a 1br apt in Dallas on a regional salary, it is about half to 2/3 of your take home. I doubt this is a problem on a major salary in Chicago. Sure you could take home more at AA, but would you turn down UA if they offered for the chance to be one of a thousand applicants when AA opens again?

There are other factors. United's location is a pain in the ass to get to, parking is a (expensive) goat rodeo (unless that's changed in the last few years), and unfortunately the means of travel that makes the most sense from the suburbs to the office (train) runs on a schedule that ranges from inconvenient to impossible, depending on the shift. Why United moved their operations center from Elk Grove Township baffles me. Corporate I can understand, what with wanting the prestigious address and all, but day to day operations out of the Big Willy? Yeah, let's move the nerve center of our airline to the biggest terrorist target in the midwest. *facepalm*

There are other factors. United's location is a pain in the ass to get to, parking is a (expensive) goat rodeo (unless that's changed in the last few years), and unfortunately the means of travel that makes the most sense from the suburbs to the office (train) runs on a schedule that ranges from inconvenient to impossible, depending on the shift. Why United moved their operations center from Elk Grove Township baffles me. Corporate I can understand, what with wanting the prestigious address and all, but day to day operations out of the Big Willy? Yeah, let's move the nerve center of our airline to the biggest terrorist target in the midwest. *facepalm*

Not arguing with most of your points...however, parking is paid for by the company. This is nothing new, they've done it ever since the move happened.

Starting to think most of y’all have no clue. Willis Tower is fairly easy to get to, company paid parking is just one block over, and most have no issue with the train and it’s schedule.

I have been reading all of yalls posts and I am looking forward to, If called, going to work for united as a dispatcher. I worked for them under contract to skywest and DGS in bna and I just love United and its product

Lol there are some actual reasons you could use to try and make an argument against working at UA. But some of the • here is pure uninformed bullshiit

But let's be real, if the big scary city of Chicago frightens you, then by all means, wait for another opportunity. But for those interested, Chicago is a great town with something always going on. There are many nice places to live in and around the city and you can even choose to live up in WI or over in IN. Either way, based off the amount of applications in previous class's, I highly doubt they'll have any trouble filling any future class.

So best of luck to those who do apply.

Starting to think most of y’all have no clue. Willis Tower is fairly easy to get to, company paid parking is just one block over, and most have no issue with the train and it’s schedule.

Yeah, I only lived there for 35 years, working in the Loop for 10 of those, including 4 years right down the street at the Civic Opera building. Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about.

And I was set straight on the company parking issue, which is YUUUUGE. Parking on your own on your own dime down there would be a non-starter at the price they ask. As for the train, I'm assuming you're working a 9am to 5pm schedule then? I'm talking about Metra here, not the El. Most anyone who's not a masochist do or eventually will live in the suburbs.

It helps when the city of Chicago provides a huge fuel tax incentive for keeping HQ down town.
Metra trains are fairly reliable as is the “L”
Cost of living in Illinois sucks much better in Wisconsin or Indiana.
What United pays will enable anyone to make a good living and good life.

Yeah, I only lived there for 35 years, working in the Loop for 10 of those, including 4 years right down the street at the Civic Opera building. Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about.

And I was set straight on the company parking issue, which is YUUUUGE. Parking on your own on your own dime down there would be a non-starter at the price they ask. As for the train, I'm assuming you're working a 9am to 5pm schedule then? I'm talking about Metra here, not the El. Most anyone who's not a masochist do or eventually will live in the suburbs.
Were you an opera singer? I guess that didn't work out too well eh? LOL

Clearly.

Back