United Airlines Fall 2022 Class

For those already at UAL, How long do you think this new class will be on reserve and or midnights for?
Thanks

For those already at UAL, How long do you think this new class will be on reserve and or midnights for?

Training will take place M-F day shift. But I am sure you are asking about after the class room stuff.

Currently reserve is getting at least one week of MIDS every month, so be ready for that. I think our most junior line holder has about 3 years of seniority (Midnight Line). There are also some vacation relief lines that can be bid as well and would let you preference your shift start time. It is nothing like in the past where you would have to work MIDS for 15 years before getting a DAY or AFT line.

I truly hope everyone who would want to work here applies. If you are lucky enough to have a choice between major carries to work at, and are making that decision based on which one will give you a line first so be it. Our work rules are pretty great and I would really not let this impact your decision to work here.

Training will take place M-F day shift. But I am sure you are asking about after the class room stuff.

Currently reserve is getting at least one week of MIDS every month, so be ready for that. I think our most junior line holder has about 3 years of seniority (Midnight Line). There are also some vacation relief lines that can be bid as well and would let you preference your shift start time. It is nothing like in the past where you would have to work MIDS for 15 years before getting a DAY or AFT line.

I truly hope everyone who would want to work here applies. If you are lucky enough to have a choice between major carries to work at, and are making that decision based on which one will give you a line first so be it. Our work rules are pretty great and I would really not let this impact your decision to work here.
Just to clarify a few bits here:

The most junior dispatch line holder (mids) is a 2016 hire - also, there are currently no vacation relief lines.

With that said - don't let this deter your. Things are changing fast and furiously. As flying increases, so will everything else..

I'm curious as to what the reserve life is like there. Are the reserves' schedules made up by scheduling each month, or is there some sort of secondary reserve bid? Do the shifts follow any sort of rotation, or are they scattered at (essentially) random?

Also, did contract negotiations start yet?

No - but you have the option to work in Arlington Heights after training if you so choose.
That sounds cool. I’d bet some people would be more reluctant to a public transit commute. Especially on odd hours and if they’ve never done it before.

Also the most senior bid relief holding out for a dayshift line is currently at 9+ years. Maybe not 15 year wait but 10 year would be a good guess for a dayshift line.

Anybody know what the hiring outlook is over the next year or two?

Seems like while Delta and Southwest have been hiring in droves over the past year, United has taken a much more conservative approach. Granted, this could simply mean they managed their staffing levels better during the pandemic, but I can't help but wonder if there will be a "hiring spree" in their future.

Heavy retirements are still looming across the board. This trend will probably continue for the next few years, maybe 2-3 years tops imo.

It’s likely UAL managed their staffing better or folks just like it there.

With that said - don't let this deter your. Things are changing fast and furiously. As flying increases, so will everything else..

Like CPZ said, a new preference just came out today with over 40 lines on it.

I again would like to state, working reserve for a couple of years is just part of a truly wonderful career. If you ever want to work for United now is the time to apply.

No - but you have the option to work in Arlington Heights after training if you so choose.

It's good to point this out...I just get tired of people that seem to reflexively recoil from the idea of working in downtown Chicago without ever having experienced it for themselves. As you know, over half of the seniority list voluntarily chooses to work at Willis rather than in the suburbs. There are positives and negatives to both locations. And for anyone keeping track, the latest word is that the split AH/downtown operation will continue for several more years at a minimum.

It's good to point this out...I just get tired of people that seem to reflexively recoil from the idea of working in downtown Chicago without ever having experienced it for themselves. As you know, over half of the seniority list voluntarily chooses to work at Willis rather than in the suburbs. There are positives and negatives to both locations. And for anyone keeping track, the latest word is that the split AH/downtown operation will continue for several more years at a minimum.

The reluctance is probably in part because of COL. At this point, other carriers are in the same boat anyways with a high COL, I suppose it just comes with the territory. It seems AH is also no stranger to higher costs. Personally, I think downtown Chicago would be sweet even if I had to drink Natty Light for the first year.

Back