United AIP

He's a special kind of special who should be kept as far away from any kind of leadership roles as possible.

“ Let’s see what corporate America is saying about this deal: “Generous as the offer may seem, the pay increase isn’t all that much higher than the consumer-price index, which last month increased 8.6% over the last year. After inflation, the 14.5% raise amounts to about a 1.6% increase over 18 months.” The Wall Street Journal article here

While other ALPA Pilot groups are enjoying 50% - 70% raises and real improvements in work rules and quality of life, Insler and Hamilton have spent the last 4 1/2 years negotiating free roller bags and concessions to management in exchange for a 1.6% raise – wow!

So, what’s the real problem here? ”

1656657211863.gif

“ Let’s see what corporate America is saying about this deal: “Generous as the offer may seem, the pay increase isn’t all that much higher than the consumer-price index, which last month increased 8.6% over the last year. After inflation, the 14.5% raise amounts to about a 1.6% increase over 18 months.” The Wall Street Journal article here

While other ALPA Pilot groups are enjoying 50% - 70% raises and real improvements in work rules and quality of life, Insler and Hamilton have spent the last 4 1/2 years negotiating free roller bags and concessions to management in exchange for a 1.6% raise – wow!

So, what’s the real problem here? ”

View attachment 65634

Hurray... another pilot who doesn't understand the CPI.

Edit: to be clear, there are multiple things that may fall short with the United TA, but the idea that the pay raises are too small because they don't keep up with CPI based inflation is not one of them.

Last edited:

Edit: to be clear, there are multiple things that may fall short with the United TA, but the idea that the pay raises are too small because they don't keep up with CPI based inflation is not one of them.
We can talk about real inflation, too. House prices, college tuition, vehicles. Almost everything a high income earner would buy is at all time high prices. Our purchasing power is being eroded no matter how you want to slice it.

We can talk about real inflation, too. House prices, college tuition, vehicles. Almost everything a high income earner would buy is at all time high prices. Our purchasing power is being eroded no matter how you want to slice it.

I'll give you college tuition, but cars and housing are due to pure supply and demand, which is a totally different price driver.

The rate of housing inflation is different depending upon the price of the home, which is what @BobDDuck and I keep trying to tell you. The CPI is only accurate for those at the median income. The further you get away from median, the less accurate the CPI is. When it comes to housing, the supply of homes isn‘t enough to meet demand at median prices, but the supply is much better at higher prices because builders have been actively engaged in construction at the higher price points due to much better margins. That means inflation on more expensive homes is not nearly as high as it is on lower priced ones.

Just to clarify, that wasn’t me. That was an exact copy/paste from that email of the guy running for ALPA President.

I've seen a ton of really bad scope gives, but I just don't get the angst on this one.

What is the point of restricting MTOW if you are just going to let them move the bar every time a management group makes a bad decision? If you are going to relax one part of scope then it should get made back up somewhere else in the scope agreement. We all know once scope is gone it is almost impossible to recover.

As it stands this weight limitation helps reduce 50-seat jets over time. The -200s and -145s will go away over time since no one is making a 50-seat jet. Allowing a MTOW increase could incentivize United management to convert more -700s into -550s and replace the -700s with EMB-170s/175s or a future model of 65-76 seat aircraft if built. Hell, the MTOW increase just needs a little more room and some -170s could be converted to 50-seaters as well.

The problem being solved is 100% manufactured by United management and the pilots have zero obligation to fix this problem.

I heard that there is an appetite to recall the members of their MEC over this, in addition to voting it down.....

There is always an appetite. Most pilots don't know how a MEC is supposed to work or even what they are capable of doing. As a result there will almost always be disgruntled guys wanting a recall.

Wouldn’t Alaska ALPA want to lock in scope/QOL improvements, if they are on the table, asap? Before a recession changes the dynamic.

The rate of housing inflation is different depending upon the price of the home, which is what @BobDDuck and I keep trying to tell you. The CPI is only accurate for those at the median income. The further you get away from median, the less accurate the CPI is. When it comes to housing, the supply of homes isn‘t enough to meet demand at median prices, but the supply is much better at higher prices because builders have been actively engaged in construction at the higher price points due to much better margins. That means inflation on more expensive homes is not nearly as high as it is on lower priced ones.
Is there any study or document to back up the CPI is only for median incomes? I don’t ask to argue with you or doubt what you’re saying, it’s just a genuine curiosity to read into this in more depth.

Is there any study or document to back up the CPI is only for median incomes? I don’t ask to argue with you or doubt what you’re saying, it’s just a genuine curiosity to read into this in more depth.

You don’t need a study, you can read the government’s own methodology of how they calculate the CPI on the BLS web site.

Back