UN Drawing up new rules to combat pilot fatigue

Nick

If the FAA is so gung-ho about eventually getting things to match ICAO, hopefully this can be a part of it all. I bolded a line or two. Can you imagine if twelve events were caused by the same mechanical problem? Think planes would still be flying around with the same issue? I think not!

And regarding the 13 hour duty limit in Europe, I think we can all agree that difference in three less hours is huge. 13 hours would be an immense improvement over 16 hours.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jzrE9u8NjzuQWKdua4tOh7P9TISQD95RNMRO0

UN drawing up new rules to combat pilot fatigue
By SLOBODAN LEKIC – 1 day ago

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) — The U.N. agency that sets standards for air transport is drawing up new safety rules to take into account a silent killer: Pilot fatigue.

Over the past 15 years, nearly a dozen fatal crashes and numerous close calls have been blamed on pilot fatigue, whose effects safety experts compare with driving drunk.

Pilot fatigue was a key cause of one of the deadliest crashes in aviation history — when a Korean Air Boeing 747 heading to Guam plowed into a hillside in 1997 and killed 228 people.

Air safety organizations and pilot unions have for years been pressing for tighter regulation and enforcement of working hours and rest periods. They say scientific research has identified pilot fatigue as a factor in a fifth of all fatal crashes.

The International Civil Aviation Agency is now preparing to abandon current rules based on flight time limitations in favor of a completely new concept known as "fatigue risk management systems," which draw on the latest scientific research into sleep and other factors affecting crew performance.

Fatigue is defined as a decreased ability to work due to mental or physical stress. Symptoms can include longer reaction times, short-term memory loss, impaired judgment and reduced visual perception.

The new guidelines are due to be reviewed in spring and released later in the year, spokeswoman Sue-Ann Rapattoni said.

Safety experts expect the new systems to focus on closely tracking flight crew duty times as well as the duration and quality of rest periods, sleep cycles, nutrition and possible illnesses.

"The aviation business has pretty much outgrown the arbitrary flight time limits of the past (and) it is time to take a more thoughtful approach that uses what we know about fatigue to make the system better for everybody," said William Voss, president of the Flight Safety Foundation from Alexandria, Virginia.

Pilots complain that mandated rest periods are now only calculated according to the time spent in the air rather than total time on duty. A pilot's daily schedule might include only a short period of actual flying, but 12 or 14 hours of total time on duty — including layovers, delays and so on. Rosters sometimes call for a crew to work three or four straight days in this way.

Furthermore, crew rest periods often include transit time to and from hotels and meal times, so that a nine-hour rest period could allow for only about six hours of sleep.

Patrick Smith, a U.S. based-airline pilot and aviation writer, says fatigue is a particular problem among regional carriers, where daily schedules can be brutal and layovers are often at the minimum legal duration. In contrast, long-haul passenger flights carry bigger crews and pilots take scheduled breaks, often in comfortable rest quarters.

Pilots have proposed using simple measures such as cockpit naps to combat fatigue. Some national regulations already allow one pilot to nap while the other works during cruise, so that both are alert when landing.

Capt. Gavin McKellar, chairman of the accident analysis committee of the London-based International Federation of Airline Pilots' Associations, cited the Korean Airlines crash as an example of cumulative fatigue. Before the flight, the pilot had flown from Seoul to Australia and back, to Hong Kong and back and then on to Guam, all with only a few hours of rest, he said.

"Chronic fatigue is a factor in causing accidents and incidents much more than it is given credit for," McKellar said. "Its debilitating effects are just as, if not more, potent than alcohol."

In a 2004 crash in Missouri that killed 13 people, a National Transportation Safety Board investigation found the crew's tiredness after spending 14.5 hours on duty had "likely contributed to their degraded performance." And in their report on an accident in Halifax, Canada in 2004, in which seven people died, Canadian investigators concluded that the pilot had typed incorrect information into his plane's computer after spending 19 hours on duty.

Air transport regulators around the world have been criticized for being too lenient with airlines and not enforcing regulations that address pilot fatigue until a crash occurs.
Many carriers in the United States, Europe and Asia, frequently make rosters for crews based on the upper limit of flying time for a pilot, said Philip von Schoppenthau, secretary-general of the Brussels-based European Cockpit Association, a continentwide pilots' union.

In Europe, for instance, current flight time regulations allow for a maximum duty period of 13 hours. Even this can be extended by an hour twice a week, according to a guide issued by the European Aviation Safety Agency.

"I certainly wouldn't want to be a passenger on the last flight of a pilot who is on the end of his third consecutive 60-hour duty week," von Schoppenthau said.

I hope the cargo outfits are held to the same standards as everyone else. When I wasn't furloughed, per our contract my company could legally keep me on duty for 30 hours at a time (double crew). In the military, it's 24+45 (augmented crew).

And regarding the 13 hour duty limit in Europe, I think we can all agree that difference in three less hours is huge. 13 hours would be an immense improvement over 16 hours.

:drool:

That would be incredible. I wonder how much the staffing needs of airlines would change if this actually happened?

:drool:

That would be incredible. I wonder how much the staffing needs of airlines would change if this actually happened?

Exactly.

What ever it is. . .it'll be good for increasing jobs.

The airlines, as they have before, will find a way to get their staffing in line with maintaining a company that doesn't break regulations on a daily basis.

Here's the headline:
...scientific research has identified pilot fatigue as a factor in a fifth of all fatal crashes

That's some serious, serious numbers. 20% of fatal crashes are casued by fatigue.

I'm surprised that this hasn't grown legs within the sensationalism that is American media.

Actually, this is UBER-important. Can we make the article a sticky?

And just imagine how much lower pay will be!

Not sure I follow your train of thought.

Negotiating capital, at least for those who have some, wouldn't be impacted in the slightest by decreasing the duty limitation from 16 to 13 hours. It might pose some issues when negotiating Hours of Service and Scheduling sections of contracts, but compensation. . .not so sure I follow you. But, I'm willing to hear your train of thought on this one.

So long as min day credits, and duty rigs are still maintained in their present form then I don't see any negative side affect when applied to compensation.

Or, are you meaning with a decreased max duty period that would yield a decreased compensation due to the lose of 3 hours of potential duty-rig pay?

I can only count one time where I've came anywhere near 16 hours of duty, and it wasn't fun. By about hour 11 I was already winding down, and by hour 13 I was just happy I was released by Crew Scheduling.

Perhaps PCL_128 and even Capt. Caucasian can share some realistic insight into how this might impact negotiating as opposed to two guys who haven't been involved in negotiating a contract and speculating, which to be honest, is all we're doing.

This was the sequence of a trip I did two months ago (and this is how it was originally scheduled):

13 hours on duty

10 hour layover (30 minute drive to the hotel, 30 minute drive from the hotel)

12 hours on duty

12 hour layover

13 hours on duty

13 hour layover (same 30 minutes each way city)

11 hours on duty.

Two of them were early.

It was not conducive to safety, that is for sure. But it is not something that we all would be surprised at, putting up with the nonsense on such a regular basis.

Decades have passed...can't the FAA just pretend there's going to be another few fatigue induced aircraft accidents?

Part of the problem in the regional industry is the airlines take the "reduced rest" option that the FAA has and use it as common scheduling practice. It was originally set forth in order to help recover from MX and WX delays without any kind of delays for the flight the next day. Instead, regional schedules (can't really talk about majors since I haven't seen many of them) use them to keep their operations rolling with min staffing. Typical 3 day for us will be a 5 leg day (close to 13 hours of duty) followed by RR, a 3 leg day with minimum comp rest, then another 5 leg day with RR. Since you've got the next day off, your comp rest is taken care of.

I hope the cargo outfits are held to the same standards as everyone else. When I wasn't furloughed, per our contract my company could legally keep me on duty for 30 hours at a time (double crew). In the military, it's 24+45 (augmented crew).

I doubt it. FARs exist to protect passengers, not pilots. I think the FAA could care less about pilots. Its not a big deal if we kill ourselves. but if pax are on board, it is.

Thats why if you are taking pax, you need to do 3 t/o and landings. If you are flying by yourself, its not required. Also, when you are a student pilot, you can solo after 10 hours in a plane. And up until you get your ppl, you cant take anyone with you.

I doubt it. FARs exist to protect passengers, not pilots. I think the FAA could care less about pilots. Its not a big deal if we kill ourselves. but if pax are on board, it is.

Thats why if you are taking pax, you need to do 3 t/o and landings. If you are flying by yourself, its not required. Also, when you are a student pilot, you can solo after 10 hours in a plane. And up until you get your ppl, you cant take anyone with you.

Eh? Is that 10 hour requirement reference? Otherwise I might be in some trouble. . .(Solo'd at 8.5)

Eh? Is that 10 hour requirement reference? Otherwise I might be in some trouble. . .(Solo'd at 8.5)

No, not a reference, but its a rough avg for when people solo. I dont know what the regs on soloing are anymore, but i think you just need some quiz and a sign off. Isn't it?

Essentially. . .:)

But yes, there is no amount of pre-solo flight training time requirement, just that the specifics of aeronautical experience and knowledge have been met.

Back