UAS/UAV Operators

I highly recommend NGC via the recommendations of others. Just hard to get into unless you know the right people.

General Atomics is frequently looking for pilots. Must have 1st class medical and 300 PIC. College degree preferred, but if you have prior aviation experience/flight time they will sometimes overlook it. They recruit highly from UND and Embry-Riddle. Most have an internal recommendation.

Yep, even with the internal recommendation they seem to be particular these days. However, GA is a great place to go as well!

I am trying to break into the UAS/UAV industry. Anyone working that field? I have exchanged PMs with Proudpilot a bit but having more contacts never hurt anyone.

About me:

Commercial Pilot
Military experience in both aircraft maintenance and security forces.
I believe still active but need to get in touch with my last command to find out for sure.
Perfectly willing to spend a year in Iraq or Afghanistan if it means I help those with boots still on the ground.

You wouldn't happen to know if there are any UAV "communities" I could get involved with while I network my way into the industry would you? It seems that having a friend in the business is the only way to get a job working with these things.

I wouldn't touch AAI with a 10ft pole right now, not after what they did to the last batch of new hires and especially not after their contract debacle.

Insitu, VT Group, and Academi are all hiring UAS operators.

Why do you say that about AAI?

I've got a good friend who works for them - been there a while. He's an instructor now, and heading overseas for another rotation soon. He tells me that as soon as the FAA opens up the planned airspace for UAVs that the business is going to explode overnight.

Neany called the other day. Attractive pay but not high enough for not being allowed a sidearm.

THAT'S Great! at least your getting bites I applied for the same position at neany about a month ago now and I haven't heard anything yet.

plus who needs side arms when they have knife hands?

Why do you say that about AAI?

I've got a good friend who works for them - been there a while. He's an instructor now, and heading overseas for another rotation soon. He tells me that as soon as the FAA opens up the planned airspace for UAVs that the business is going to explode overnight.
About a year and half ago they spoiled up huge for aerosonde and then got almost totally kicked out of country because they couldn't deliver. Their problem is they don't screen their candidates well. Most of why I wouldn't work for them is because of the wilfully incompetent people they hired at the time.

Granted, most of them were let go but now their whole culture is suspect and not looked upon well.

For everyone, the industry is really tight right now. A lot of qualified people and not many jobs. We need the FAA to regulate so we can start to open up. A lot of companies are ready to get going, but can't hire as we can fly CONUS.

AAI, now Textron Unmanned Systems, has changed a lot, but still has some quirks. Airplane on the other hand is awesome now. There are quite a few facets it has learned to shine in. Now, if you want a job with them, they're hiring, and it's very likely to be interview within a few months here. Good Luck

Thanks for all the wonderful information, everyone.

Got a few questions. I'm currently flying for a regional airline, 2000 TT, 1300 PIC, and 500 hours jet time. 4 year aviation degree, but no military background. Starting a family and the airline schedule is getting more difficult, what with being gone most of every month.

I like flying but don't feel incredibly compelled to be in the aircraft. I don't mind mundane things, either. So naturally, the possibility of a UAV job seems more and more attractive. Get to be home much more, and probably a bit of a pay boost from first year regional FO.

I've been reading these threads and it seems the guys willing to do deployments will typically earn more; money is great but what kind of jobs are there solely stateside, the kind where you could be home each day? What would the pay range be for these kinds of jobs; is your ceiling 50k-80k or can stateside civilians ever break six figures?

Lastly, many job listings I've come across require or highly prefer UAV time, UAV licenses, etc. Without these, could an applicant be competitive with credentials like an ATP, jet type rating, etc? Or do they only want people trained specifically for UAV's?

Thanks in advance!

UAV training isn't the biggest hurdle you'll face, actually that's a low hurdle. The biggest issue you'll have is not possessing a clearance. A lot of CONUS jobs will require the eligibility for a TS due to their mission and equipment.

Civilians working state-side can earn six figures but please, please for the love of God work for less than $70. The UAV industry doesn't need a race to the bottom. To be brutally honest, you're going to need to deploy to get into the CONUS jobs so you only think having an airline job is hard on a family.

UAV training isn't the biggest hurdle you'll face, actually that's a low hurdle. The biggest issue you'll have is not possessing a clearance. A lot of CONUS jobs will require the eligibility for a TS due to their mission and equipment.

Civilians working state-side can earn six figures but please, please for the love of God work for less than $70. The UAV industry doesn't need a race to the bottom. To be brutally honest, you're going to need to deploy to get into the CONUS jobs so you only think having an airline job is hard on a family.
Ya, that already started. 55 is the new base, sometimes lower. Still, there was one advertising for less than 6 figures deployed. You should aim for at least 130 deployed first time, if not higher.

Ya, that already started. 55 is the new base, sometimes lower. Still, there was one advertising for less than 6 figures deployed. You should aim for at least 130 deployed first time, if not higher.
Good lord...it's already to late.

Good lord...it's already to late.
Look, when I started I was told not to work for less than 300 deployed. My highest offer was less than 1/2 that. You know what though, still 3x over stateside, and that does matter. I've asked for higher, but there are a lot of well qualified people at the moment.

For everyone, the industry is really tight right now. A lot of qualified people and not many jobs. We need the FAA to regulate so we can start to open up. A lot of companies are ready to get going, but can't hire as we can fly CONUS.
Months later.... can't*

Back