UA dispatchers would you trade ORD for a DEN HQ?

Well as fate has it the ones I’m referring to do have less than 5 years, some even 3 years, so yes it’s worth it if you hate commuting. Also, in my case I do have ties to Colorado as do some of the others I’ve talked to. And just happen to be an outdoor enthusiast! So much so I considered not taking the job in DFW. It was a very stressful and personally depressing decision. But I had financial and family obligations to care for as do many, so needed that pay. I know a couple dxers that left UA and AA for DL after 10 years, because it meant being closer to their families which was important to them. They gave up a decade of seniority. I also know someone that gave up years at FedEx to start a new career in FLL because again, their family was not happy in MEM, and they’ve never looked back. Seniority is definitely something to think about as well, but quality of life and happiness where you live has no price. It’s said in psychology that 80% of your happiness actually comes from where you live and what you’re surrounded by. I never said leave in droves, but I did say a decent handful. It will be interesting to see what happens. If they make a definitive announcement, people might even apply sooner than later and may even be willing to move to Chicago to start that seniority and then get paid to move to Denver. It’s all what’s important to you personally. I do get that it will be stressful for the UA dxers and feel for those that have roots established and homes there. But for some of us… here’s hoping. 🤞

And give up all their seniority? Maybe if you have less than 5 years and are willing to start over
Life is more important than seniority. I would hate to be in my 70's and look back at my life spent in a not desirable place with no outdoors stuff to do just so I could pick a preferred schedule for more years.

I've already spent 3 years previously living in a place with nothing to do for career reasons and it felt like life was just passing me by. I'll always regret that.

I would hate to be in my 70's and look back at my life spent in a not desirable place with no outdoors stuff to do just so I could pick a preferred schedule for more years.

I've already spent 3 years previously living in a place with nothing to do for career reasons and it felt like life was just passing me by. I'll always regret that.
I have never understood this point about location. Like don't we work for an airline?

I mean if I want to go skiing I will just jump on a plane and get to where has the freshest snow. If I want to go fishing I will go to where the fish are biting. If I want to sail a boat I will just go rent one where the sun is shining.

I would rather live at the hub offering the most flights vs staying local for all my fun.

I have never understood this point about location. Like don't we work for an airline?

I mean if I want to go skiing I will just jump on a plane and get to where has the freshest snow. If I want to go fishing I will go to where the fish are biting. If I want to sail a boat I will just go rent one where the sun is shining.

I would rather live at the hub offering the most flights vs staying local for all my fun.
It's easier to drive to the fun than fly out and risk getting stuck on the return. Of course you can always buy a ticket.

It’s all what you prefer personally and what works for your life. Hotels and rental cars start adding up, I’d rather just have what I love in my backyard. Then I could use that extra time and money to fly somewhere international. Would also much rather have great weather year round than triple digit heat for a huge portion of it. Commuting is a headache to do weekly and tickets can get costly to buy even with a 20% discount sometimes. Not to mention money spent on needing two places to stay, two vehicles. Why commute if you don’t have to? Especially when we don’t have a commuter clause. So yes location is important. Besides Denver is a massive hub with tons of flight options not only for UA but it’s a hub for Southwest, Frontier, as well as many other airlines that just fly there. Lots of options to get in and out if needed.

I did just see though where UA is reassuring the Illinois governor they’re not going anywhere, so maybe it won’t happen. But we’ve all seen airlines reassure one thing and do another before. It’s all super fresh obviously, only time will tell.

It’s all what you prefer personally and what works for your life. Hotels and rental cars start adding up, I’d rather just have what I love in my backyard. Then I could use that extra time and money to fly somewhere international. Would also much rather have great weather year round than triple digit heat for a huge portion of it. Commuting is a headache to do weekly and tickets can get costly to buy even with a 20% discount sometimes. Not to mention money spent on needing two places to stay, two vehicles. Why commute if you don’t have to? Especially when we don’t have a commuter clause. So yes location is important. Besides Denver is a massive hub with tons of flight options not only for UA but it’s a hub for Southwest, Frontier, as well as many other airlines that just fly there. Lots of options to get in and out if needed.

I did just see though where UA is reassuring the Illinois governor they’re not going anywhere, so maybe it won’t happen. But we’ve all seen airlines reassure one thing and do another before. It’s all super fresh obviously, only time will tell.
Reassure now, relocate later. Granted even if UA wanted to relocate, they probably wouldn't do it for another 10 years id say? Willis lease isnt up til the 2030's, will be curious to see if they renew it, or if they decided to build up a HQ campus in Chicagoland area or Denver area. Obviously this is all speculation, you never know with companies

I dont think a UAL move would create that many openings. Dispatchers make considerably more money now than when the original merger was completed. It made sense to not make the move from Houston to Chicago because at that time the money was not really worth it. A move sucks but giving up the kind of job dispatchers have now sucks even more. Its a different calculation than with previous moves and mergers.

There's also frontier in Denver. They got a nice new contract with pay that is relatively competitive with the majors if people really wanted to get to Colorado asap.

UA just got AH recently and it's very doubtful they're just gonna upend everything to move to Denver, especially when they still have their lease at Willis until 2030s and also purchased another building in the north Chicago burbs

There's also frontier in Denver. They got a nice new contract with pay that is relatively competitive with the majors if people really wanted to get to Colorado asap.

UA just got AH recently and it's very doubtful they're just gonna upend everything to move to Denver, especially when they still have their lease at Willis until 2030s and also purchased another building in the north Chicago burbs
This is true. Or they might keep NOC/Operations in ORD, and move all corporate to Denver

Our time is finite and burning all that time commuting on airplanes and waiting at airports, then having to drive from an airport that is almost always far away from your actual destination then doing it all in reverse is not a good use of my time.

Everyone is different, but I've learn that time is by far the most valuable commodity in my life.

When CO moved up to Chicago from TX I remember about 1/3rd of the seniority list dropped off with retirement or people just staying put. So, with the current operation that would be the loss of about 150 dispatchers.

If this move was going to happen anytime within the next couple of years, we would almost have to be hiring for that now. Between the growth and this possible move there could be a lot of job openings at UA soon.
Isn’t there a post someplace that says UA is hiring 125 new dispatchers in 2024 alone?

I remember someone at ADF saying this on stage as well.

Latest on UA, they are looking for 4 classes this year (1 in progress) and depending on how the economy is going, another 4-5 classes in 2025.

From public sources, says about 800 new planes between 2023 and 2032. That equates to 1 roughly every 5 days.

Probably about 10% of them will be used to replace older planes.

That is a lot of additional flying

Back