UA dispatchers would you trade ORD for a DEN HQ?

Chicago for me, Arlington Heights BNOC soon to be main NOC is in a good neighborhood, more activities to do in Chicago even though I hate travel in and out of Ohare 😂

When CO moved up to Chicago from TX I remember about 1/3rd of the seniority list dropped off with retirement or people just staying put. So, with the current operation that would be the loss of about 150 dispatchers.

If this move was going to happen anytime within the next couple of years, we would almost have to be hiring for that now. Between the growth and this possible move there could be a lot of job openings at UA soon.

When CO moved up to Chicago from TX I remember about 1/3rd of the seniority list dropped off with retirement or people just staying put. So, with the current operation that would be the loss of about 150 dispatchers.

If this move was going to happen anytime within the next couple of years, we would almost have to be hiring for that now. Between the growth and this possible move there could be a lot of job openings at UA soon.

When is the next posting expected to go live?

For what it’s worth, I interviewed at the BNOC last year and that was my first time stepping out of ORD and seeing chicago itself. I wasn’t super impressed TBH. Like yeah I’d obviously live there if I would have received an offer but it wouldn’t have been where I would have preferred. I spent 5 years in DEN before moving to work for my shop and commuted back and forth for the first 18 months that I worked there. I’d never judge anyone’s desire to not move after spending years and years establishing a life there.

BUTTT. DEN is a great place to call home. “Ohhhh but its so expensive”.. If I made it work paying rent as a regional commuter im sure mainline UA folk would be just fine. For whoever said there were more activities to do in ORD than DEN…… I guess it would really depend on what exactly you’re into. I didn’t look too close at where they bought that land but one article mentioned it was close to the A line so that tells me it was probably off of Tower road or in Arapahoe County south of DEN. I wouldn’t recommend living in Green Valley Ranch but the Reunion development in commerce city is nice and relatively close to all of that.

A lot of this is all hypothetical of course. It doesn’t make sense for them to move the NOC out of Arlington when the paint has barely dried there. If anything, maybe they do a dual NOC thing like NK does.

The con for moving to DEN, mainly for commuters, is you would be fighting with almost every company pilot for a seat.

One of the pros would, again for commuters, being paid to move but not really having to move.

In fact this industry has paid me to move twice and I never moved.

I'd personally love to see this move happen! Therefore, I doubt it will.

As an airline employee for the last 25+ years I've learned to keep my expectations about where my office is low.

Denver is one of my favorite cities. So much access to outdoor activities. The state is absolutely amazing.

Contrast that with Chicago... I just don't see the appeal at all.

If UA moved to Denver I would apply to the first posting.

Ironically a group of us were having this conversation a few days ago, before the article even came out. If UA does move to DEN, there’s a decent handful of other major airline dispatchers I know that would want to jump ship and switch teams. If you are an active or outdoor loving person, Colorado’s quality of life is so much better year-round. 300 days of sunshine, decent weather with rarely extreme temps (hot or cold), endless activities, amazing restaurants/bars/parks and… not to mention the eye candy of the Rockies being right there. Plus from what I have read and heard from DEN commuters the property taxes are lower than in Texas, Illinois or Georgia. The state income tax is also low and the same percentage across the board no matter what your income. As I understand, the corporate tax percentage is less than half what it is in Illinois. After living all over the US I love and miss CO. Can’t speak for Chicago or Atlanta but unless you were born and raised down here in DFW, the triple digit heat for 6+ months and no decent nature within a 3 hour drive makes it not a favorite among many of us. We’d be like buh-bye Dallas, hello Denver! 👋

Ironically a group of us were having this conversation a few days ago, before the article even came out. If UA does move to DEN, there’s a decent handful of other major airline dispatchers I know that would want to jump ship and switch teams. If you are an active or outdoor loving person, Colorado’s quality of life is so much better year-round. 300 days of sunshine, decent weather with rarely extreme temps (hot or cold), endless activities, amazing restaurants/bars/parks and… not to mention the eye candy of the Rockies being right there. Plus from what I have read and heard from DEN commuters the property taxes are lower than in Texas, Illinois or Georgia. The state income tax is also low and the same percentage across the board no matter what your income. As I understand, the corporate tax percentage is less than half what it is in Illinois. After living all over the US I love and miss CO. Can’t speak for Chicago or Atlanta but unless you were born and raised down here in DFW, the triple digit heat for 6+ months and no decent nature within a 3 hour drive makes it not a favorite among many of us. We’d be like buh-bye Dallas, hello Denver! 👋
And give up all their seniority? Maybe if you have less than 5 years and are willing to start over

And give up all their seniority? Maybe if you have less than 5 years and are willing to start over
Exactly this, unless you're that much of an outdoor enthusiasts and or have major ties to Colorado, I don't see dispatchers at the other majors leaving in droves

UA gets plenty of applicants anyways

Back