UA ask pilots to take unpaid time off

Yeah, on the one hand I really regret that I didn’t push hard for my current gig a year earlier, but on the other I’m glad I got in when I did and it definitely feels like I slid in under the wire so to speak.
Same, but I regret nothing in my career so far.

Meh, I've been here just under 2 years, (may 22 baby) am at about 70% company wide, and I'd still be worried if the music stopped. Not to say that your point isn't right, but more that Roger wouldn't be significantly more bullet proof had he arrived a year earlier. Of course every single seniority # can matter in that scenario (I've heard the stories), but if it were a broad long-duration event, I don't think I'd be close to being safe. Our hiring was wild for our airline, but compared to the others, not as insane.
Seniority progression is glacial being that there is not a ton of retirements, but the Incentive Lines seem to have worked for now so hopefully we don’t have to worry about the F word.

Seniority progression is glacial being that there is not a ton of retirements, but the Incentive Lines seem to have worked for now so hopefully we don’t have to worry about the F word.

Company loves to talk about how they never furloughed, other than those 110 or so. And didn't take the 9/11 bailout. I think there is some Ted Stevens Improv on the senate floor from that era. Some random CA told me that in a year the retirements pick up significantly. I said "We're below 10,000 feet good sir, I cannot respond to that" :) And then I selected flaps 2 at 21000 ft in icing. What?

Don't worry, this was a dream

FWIW, before 9/11, the rubric was that once you got 10% of the group behind you, you were safe.

9/11 blew right through that, and furloughs went up to around the 15% mark depending on where you were.

Lots of stagnation afterwords that didn’t really resolve itself until about 2011-12, so about 10 years (aka the lost decade).

It wasn’t the first time. The 1970s were pretty rough for the airlines as well.

FWIW, before 9/11, the rubric was that once you got 10% of the group behind you, you were safe.

9/11 blew right through that, and furloughs went up to around the 15% mark depending on where you were.

Lots of stagnation afterwords that didn’t really resolve itself until about 2011-12, so about 10 years (aka the lost decade).

It wasn’t the first time. The 1970s were pretty rough for the airlines as well.
COVID - most places that issued WARN notices were roughly 33% of the list.

Checks seniority

1712149165239.jpeg

Wonder how many majors have reverse flows down to their regional partners in the contract in case of furlough. Seems like I remember that happening once upon a time.

Yeah, that’s coming at some point. I only have 25 years left, so hoping red tape ties it up long enough for me to fly until at least 60.

I think the slow speed of the FAA could keep pilots safe from obsolescence for a while, at least in part 121 operations. I actually think automation of other jobs could be a bigger threat to our careers, since naturally demand for air travel will plummet once widespread structural unemployment becomes a reality.

I don’t understand why pilots never read the fine print. 0 hour lines when Boeing isn’t even close to deliveries as planned is like the least News thing ever. But someone will make it a conspiracy about the underlying structure or some other • lol

I don’t understand why pilots never read the fine print. 0 hour lines when Boeing isn’t even close to deliveries as planned is like the least News thing ever. But someone will make it a conspiracy about the underlying structure or some other • lol
And then you look an in some bases and seats it's literally one line. People are also forgetting United was big into the TLV routes, so that situation has shaken up the 787 category.

Wonder how many majors have reverse flows down to their regional partners in the contract in case of furlough. Seems like I remember that happening once upon a time.

I don't think there are any flow down agreements in place still. I was hired at PSA with flow downs in about 1/3rd of our left seats. In theory there was the carrot of a flow up as well, but when the time came USAir and USAPA ignored it.

Back