/ / / / U N I T E D 's NEW LIVERY IS HERE!!!!!!!

Re: / / / / U N I T E D \'s NEW LIVERY IS HERE!!!!!!!

Little over 4,000 people have seen the pic today!!!!
grin.gif
HAHAHA

Not suppose to be seen until the 18th.....Oh well..
cool.gif

It's okay, I guess. I like that the engines are a nice solid dark blue, I wish Delta had done their engines like that. What I would like better about the new United paint would be if the logo on the tail was a little more 'defined'.

I don't really like it nearly as much as united's current scheme.

I like the current livery better.

But even if I liked this one better, I'd have to ask this -- is this really the time for a bankrupt airline to be spending money painting their aircraft in a new paint scheme?

I think it looks great and can't wait to see it on the rest of United's planes and that 10 or 15 years from now I'll be sad when they come out with another new scheme.

I actually really like the new livery, but the old one was also good, in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
Wonder how much it is costing to repaint all the planes... Gee, isn't Chapter 11 a beautiful thing, screw all your creditors but get a new paint job... UFB...

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall, this new paint scheme (especially because there is quite a bit of white) costs less than the old one. The planes get re-painted on a regular basis anyway, so as long as they continue to paint the planes on the planned schedule, I think that United is saving money with this new livery.

[ QUOTE ]

But even if I liked this one better, I'd have to ask this -- is this really the time for a bankrupt airline to be spending money painting their aircraft in a new paint scheme?

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more, Tony. Even though I prefer the old old scheme, that's all moot. And long run savings that might be seen in 5 years or more...a maybe...IMO, now isn't the time to be spending more money. It's the time to be saving money for the here and now, since there's no guarantee they'll be around to see any potential cost savings the way they're spending $$$ on unneeded and unnecessary niceities.

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't agree more, Tony. Even though I prefer the old old scheme, that's all moot. And long run savings that might be seen in 5 years or more...a maybe...IMO, now isn't the time to be spending more money. It's the time to be saving money for the here and now, since there's no guarantee they'll be around to see any potential cost savings the way they're spending $$$ on unneeded and unnecessary niceities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if United wants to spend money they don't have, how about spending some to bring a friend of mine back from furlough?

Right now, they should be finding ways to save every penny and finding ways to get a buck or two more from every passenger.

But hey, what do I know? Apparently not enough to get a $2 million bonus for walking down to the courthouse to file papers for Chapter 11.

[ QUOTE ]
The planes get re-painted on a regular basis anyway, so as long as they continue to paint the planes on the planned schedule, I think that United is saving money with this new livery.

[/ QUOTE ]

One would think that in Chapter 11 the "Repainting Schedule" would have been adjusted to have more time between paint jobs. Just think of the money they could be saved if they added one additional year between paint jobs??? But hey, what do I know, I thought when you are broke you are supposed to save money, not spend it... Especially on non-essentials...

[ QUOTE ]
One would think that in Chapter 11 the "Repainting Schedule" would have been adjusted to have more time between paint jobs. Just think of the money they could be saved if they added one additional year between paint jobs??? But hey, what do I know, I thought when you are broke you are supposed to save money, not spend it... Especially on non-essentials...

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you that they could (and should!) save more money by changing the re-painting schedule. However, even when you just look at the paint itself, they are saving money.
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't agree more, Tony. Even though I prefer the old old scheme, that's all moot. And long run savings that might be seen in 5 years or more...a maybe...IMO, now isn't the time to be spending more money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't the savings happen now, rather just in the long run?
confused.gif
Many planes that would be re-painted anyway very soon are being painted at those times, but with the new paint.

[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't the savings happen now, rather just in the long run?
confused.gif
Many planes that would be re-painted anyway very soon are being painted at those times, but with the new paint.

[/ QUOTE ]

My reasoning is that the money is being spent now, essentially money they don't have, now. IMO, the savings can't be seen now since they're in Ch 11, since they're digging more and more of a deeper hole, way before any dirt ($$$) is arriving for the refill, so to speak.

Regardless of money for one second, I think it looks pretty bad compared to the old one. The old livery did make them look like a shark in the sky, and I even thought that it looked intimidating to the others(call me stupid). It looks to me like a plane right from the boeing plant that you see in the pictures about boeing. I guess white is just getting too common.

But other airlines are spending money they dont have...delta paying to have new uniforms designed, Mr. Carty's bounus....the list could go on. So, if UAL wants to paint the planes in a not so nice livery, then, its ok for them to do that. After, really looking at this new livery, I really prefer the grey colors!

I think that the reason United came out with a new livery is because they want to disassociate themselfes from there older identity.

And part of that idenitity and prolly the most strongest was there livery. So they created a new livery to let the flying public know that there a brand new stronger better United Airlines.

Companies typically do this after filing bankruptcy or after some serious event.

Example: Valuejet now Airtran. The flying public and people in general are very fickle.

Most people know Airtran used to be Valuejet but they think oh they got a new name and a new paint job there a different company.

Not saying I agree with there timing as they should wait to be outa Chapter 11 first before trying to find a new identity.

But that is prolly the reason for the new livery

Matthew

I say I prefer the old color scheme, this just kinda looks too much like every other airplane.

I'm not a big fan of white airplanes. Which is one reason I can't stand buisiness jets. I think I've seen one out of a bagillion that wasn't white.

I do like this one though. The old scheme was very distinct, you could spot a United 747 in cruise from the ground. This one is cool though.

Tom

I thought when a aircraft went in for its D-Check the paint is striped and it has to be repainted anyway? So therefore wouldn't it save United money by using less paint?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought when a aircraft went in for its D-Check the paint is striped and it has to be repainted anyway? So therefore wouldn't it save United money by using less paint?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sort of what I was trying to say. As long as the planes are painted on the originally planned schedule, the new paint would save them money. (I've heard that white is cheaper.)

Back