Type rating VS buying block time in a twin.

DPApilot

GUYSH! GUYSH! GUYSH!
Im just humoring the thought.
Lets say you want to build some twin time.

24 hours in a twin at $250/hr= $6,000.

Now lets say a 737 sic type, 24 hours in a full motion sim (including the checkride) about $7,000 including ground and study course.

between 10-20 days, so you would have to factor in room and board, but lets keep it out for discussion purposes.

Now, that Level D sim time is loggable, so, in essence, for about 1,000 or so more, you get that 24 hours of multi, plus a type.

Is that so bad?

Not buying a job either, just as a thing to "pad the resume."

Thoughts?

PVT ASEL, Complex, and HP.

That "24" hours of multi, is in a simulator - not an airplane. It's sim time, not flight time.
someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway - why not get your Commercial SEL/MEL, IA?

PVT ASEL, Complex, and HP.

That "24" hours of multi, is in a simulator - not an airplane. It's sim time, not flight time.
someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway - why not get your Commercial SEL/MEL, IA?
I probably should've posted, this wouldn't be until after I obtained my CMEL, CSEL and CFII/MEI, so not for a year or so.

Get your IR and CPL... But I'd think a Citation type would be more beneficial for finding a job in the future... No idea how employers would see it.. If you are low time, maybe "money wasted?"

American Market- Multi time! (Split it with someone else to make it cheaper)

Foreign market- Type rating

If I were you (assuming you dont have a wife and kids) I would get the hell out of America to go pursue options abroad. Of course the industry is almost as bad as it is here. I was talking to our JAA ground instructor and he said that there are people flying for Ryanair for FREE for a couple years just to get their feet in the door. This is after they pay over 100,000 pounds for training + type rating.

Maybe there are parts of Asia and the Middle-East that are better?

I thought the sentiment was to avoid paying for types? I've heard it correlated with PFT quite a bit.

You can buy a block of 50 hours in a Seneca from Dutch Wings for around 7k, I would go that direction..

Type isn't much good without a good amount of time in type

Not necessarily...

If someones insurance requires only a type to sit in the right seat, then that's what the company will be looking for.

Now a type without a good amount of TT or turbine time will probably be a waste of money.

Second, or third, or fourth the notion that a type without time in type is pretty much useless.

If a corporate operator wants you to pay for your own type, then it is probably a sign of them expecting you to pay for just about everything else in day to day operations. It isn't unlikely that you won't see a reimbursement check either. They're operating a multi million dollar airplane that costs thousands per hour. They can afford to pay $15,000 for a type rating. If they want you on the team, they need to pay for it.

Unless students are few and far between, if you are going to already have an MEI then I wouldn't worry so much about spending the money at all. Save it for your first year pay at a 121 or 135 gig.

Otherwise I would go with twin time. Right now the only people I know that pay for a type are those that want to get in the door at Southwest. (A discussion for another day.)

save the 6k and don't spend it on either.

I'm serious. If you plan on getting your CFI/MEI you're going to build time anyway. Why spend money you don't have to?

Just seems like a waste of cash to me.

I've never been a fan of buying time either (unless it's training). I'd spend the money on another rating. However, time will help you now and in the future. The type rating might.

Unless you definitely have something lined up or in mind that would require a type, I'd go for the twin time.

DEFINITELY, without a doubt, a waste of money. Say you get a 737 type in a year:

1) You won't have anywhere near the insurance minimums to fly a real 737.
2) Your lack of 121 or even 135 experience will render you uncompetitive for most, if not virtually all, 737 operations.
3) You will be restricted to commercial privileges and won't have the total time/age to simultaneously test for an ATP during your type ride.
4) By the time you do have the credentials necessary to interview for a 737 job - say SWA - you will walk in with probably decades-old (as in long-term memory) systems knowledge, leaving you deficient as a new-hire.
5) Your relative experience to that of your classmates at a type school (the $7,000 ratings are usually held in class format, such as Higher Power) will leave you behind the learning curve, as your classmates won't blink an eye when mention is made of:

10th and 14th Bleeds
Dual v. Single Loops
Bottles
Squibs
ITTs
Common Start Malfunctions
EPRs
FFs
IACs
IDGs
Mmo
QRHs
General Flows
Common 121 regs.

Please don't take my response as hostile. I remember being young and daydreaming about getting typed... I also remember all of my "mentors" telling me to focus on establishing an incredibly strong foundation on which to build future skill. You should be spending the majority of your time pouring over TERPs, the AIM, and 14CFR91. I guarantee you'll get the type rating paid for if you're known as the sharp kid, not the one who prematurely bought a type.

...an "SIC Type" is not a "type rating". It's a "training endorsement" the FAA requires to satisfy the nerds at ICAO.

That is all.

-mini

American Market- Multi time! (Split it with someone else to make it cheaper)

Foreign market- Type rating

If I were you (assuming you dont have a wife and kids) I would get the hell out of America to go pursue options abroad. Of course the industry is almost as bad as it is here. I was talking to our JAA ground instructor and he said that there are people flying for Ryanair for FREE for a couple years just to get their feet in the door. This is after they pay over 100,000 pounds for training + type rating.

Maybe there are parts of Asia and the Middle-East that are better?

That is sad.

I've CONSIDERED the idea of paying for a type, likely in a CE-500 or CE-525, and doing it at a place that does training in the aircraft, so you wind up with a "real" un-restricted PIC type. However, be aware that many insurance companies will not respect these types, and if you did wind up at a gig that required the type, you would still need re-current at FSI or Simcom to be insurable.

Then there is the issue of a type without time in type.

Of all the types out there, as a US pilot, a 737 type would be virtually useless for someone in your position, or mine. Now if you have a couple thousand hours total, with at least a thousand turbine PIC, and have hopes of Southwest, that's different.

In my case, I have considered it since I am close to ATP mins, so could use the type as my ATP ride as well. Even then, I still subscribe to the notion that any place worth working at understands that training their pilots is a cost of doing business, and will type you.

save the 6k and don't spend it on either.

I'm serious. If you plan on getting your CFI/MEI you're going to build time anyway. Why spend money you don't have to?

Just seems like a waste of cash to me.

Totally agreed,

now if you have 6K for some reason floating around and don't need it, flying around the country in a twin, sounds like a great time and it is real experience that somebody looking to hire a low timer would like.

Back