Type Rated FO logging time manipulating controls as PIC per part 61

Ziggyfuzz

Well, what do you guys think? Part 61 says that the holder of an ATP certificate who is appropriately rated in an aircraft can log PIC while he/she is manipulating the controls. Would this be a problem during a logbook review when applying for a major?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Not really looking for an advantage in that area and I understand the requirement for actual command. I am a dpe and the FAA requires that I that I log a certain amount of pic time each year. Was just wondering if seeing every other leg logged as PIC rather than SIC would cause a problem. I wouldn't actually claim command time on an app.

Maybe if it's a repo under Part 91, but even then it's fuzzy seeing as by most airline FOMs it specifically states the FO is SIC. If I wanted to stay a DPE, I'd find another way to log PIC time.

Yes but the feds have told us that it is legally logable that way per the regs, which they say trump the company.

I suppose I can just log it all as sic and explain to my poi each year what is being done. Problem solved for now.

Yes but the feds have told us that it is legally logable that way per the regs, which they say trump the company.

Funny. I've been told company manuals are the same as regs since they have to be approved by the FAA. Then again, the Feds aren't known for consistency on logging issues. Don't like the answer, keep asking inspectors until you get an answer you do like has been my experience.

mikecweb said:
Do whatever you want with your logbook, don't expect the time to open doors however.

Or your avatar photo...who is that ugly dude, sure as hell isn't your pretty face.

Maybe if it's a repo under Part 91, but even then it's fuzzy seeing as by most airline FOMs it specifically states the FO is SIC. If I wanted to stay a DPE, I'd find another way to log PIC time.
Repo people don't log times, though. They keep that as discrete as possible, according to a repo person in my FIRC a couple years ago.

This. Before that show I doubt "repossessing" would have been the first thought that popped into most people's heads when talking about repo flights.
Actually every time I have to reposition a plane I can't get this movie out of my head:
RepoMan.jpg

Last edited:
Back