Turbulence Ain't No Joke....

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
So I am reading my weekly dose of the FAA/NTSB db's and came across this one. Not sure how it happened, but WOW.....

********************************************************************************
** Report created 8/25/2008 Record 6 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: AJM035 Make/Model: B737 Description: 737
Date: 08/09/2008 Time: 1845

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
AIR JAMAICA FLIGHT 035 BOEING 737 AIRCRAFT ENCOUNTERED SEVERE TURBULENCE
CAUSING UNKNOWN INJURIES, ONE PERSON ON BOARD WAS FATALLY INJURED, NEAR
MONTEGO BAY, JAMAICA - REPORTED 8/22/2008

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: Y
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Unknown Operation: Air Carrier

Scary. The things you never think will happen on your way to or from a vacation in Jamaica.

Seatbelts on flights will henceforth remain my friend.

WOW--didn't hear about that one. It's unbelieveable to me how people can't WAIT to unbuckle their belts and how they let their children fly without one the second the sign comes off. Just to get parents to buckle their little darlings in is extremely frustrating most of the time. If I have to hear, "he/she doesn't like the belt and can't sit still for long." OR "I tried, but he/she won't let me. Johnny, the lady's gonna yell at you if you don't put the belt on. " "Johnny, the pilot is gonna come out here and yell at you if you don't buckle up." Or the classic, "I'll buckle him up right as we're taking off."
ARE YOU KIDDING ME????!!! Parents, here's a clue---if you can't control and tell your kid what to do at 3 years old, what the hell are you gonna do when they're teenagers? Hmmm? :mad: :banghead:

Most parents today are a bunch of wimps... Don't get me wrong, you do get the ones whose children behave perfectly, but that's not the norm, sadly.

And another thing, the children who DO behave and listen to their parents are usually NOT white Americans. THERE, I said it!!!! American children are the most spoiled children on the face of the earth. :whatever:

Most parents today are a bunch of wimps... Don't get me wrong, you do get the ones whose children behave perfectly, but that's not the norm, sadly.

And another thing, the children who DO behave and listen to their parents are usually NOT white Americans. THERE, I said it!!!! American children are the most spoiled children on the face of the earth. :whatever:

b-b-b-b-b-but my little snowflake is SPECIAL! :rolleyes:

Just saying, it might have happened, it might not have, might be more to the story.

I just don't really trust NTSB reports until they are final. I have read a lot with so many mistakes in them.

Regardless, bottom line, is pilots have a lot to blame as well in regards to the fasten seat belt sign and passenger immunity to them. I have been on many flight where guys keep it on the ENTIRE flight even though it is smoother than a baby's bottom. With that, I find it difficult to the completely blame the passengers. Sometimes we have to look in the mirror to see how we contributed to the problem as a whole.

True, Mark. Although I think some do it just so most of the pax don't get up and stretch their legs and clog the aisle (especially during beverage service).
That being said, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I was once on the receiving end of not being able to get to my jumpseat quick enough after we hit a very nasty stretch and my feet left the floor. I had to drop down and hold onto a seat leg until the turbulence stopped. (plane was full, and couldn't use a pax seat, either) Not a great experience, BTW.

Here's a quick fix for the kid. "little johnny, we can't go to disney world without your seatbelt on.":laff:

Here is what Clear air turbulance is capable of! It was reported that the B52 was hit by an 80kt gust at 16k. I remember several years ago an FA was killed onboard a 747 crossing the atlantic when they hit cat.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 197
One of our FAs broke her neck during a sudden severe/extreme turbulence on approach to Denver (or was it phoenix?) about 2 months ago in the Dash-8. Captain got a concussion.

That's less stabilizer than the Japan Air 747 than dug that extremely unpleasant furrow in a Japanese mountain had left.

I feel nervous in an airplane without a lap belt on. Maybe I've had one too many encounters with the ceiling during some uh "unscripted" freightdoggin, but I've come damn close to peeing myself rather than walk down the aisle in a tube going 500mph.

I will say that shoulder harnesses are for wimps, though. Let's face it, if the shoulder harness is going to do anything, you're about to die anyway. I suppose this might not apply to single engine GA.

That's less stabilizer than the Japan Air 747 than dug that extremely unpleasant furrow in a Japanese mountain had left.

I think that had a deal with an improperly repaired aft pressure bulkhead, if I remember right, as the main culprit in that one.

We did have a guy, who in a past company, hit severe out of ANC and lost a motor and some parts of the wing.

He landed....the feat could not be duplicated in the sim....

Air Jamaica does not operate 737s.

:yeahthat:

Air Jamaica Motto and Jamaica National Motto

( :yar: )

What the ....!:D:laff:

I kinda doubt this story in a way because the media in Jamaica would be all over this when it happened, and i read and watch Jamaican news EVERY DAY! NAA does operate wet lease for Air J during the summer but to my understanding they only operate 757's and 767's I don't know, it just does not seem right! :confused:

What the ....!:D:laff:

I kinda doubt this story in a way because the media in Jamaica would be all over this when it happened, and i read and watch Jamaican news EVERY DAY! NAA does operate wet lease for Air J during the summer but to my understanding they only operate 757's and 767's I don't know, it just does not seem right! :confused:

It's not a story, its an NTSB report. Im sure its (737) a typo, Air Jamaica flight 35 is usually a 757...

Here is what Clear air turbulance is capable of! It was reported that the B52 was hit by an 80kt gust at 16k. I remember several years ago an FA was killed onboard a 747 crossing the atlantic when they hit cat.

Is this pic for real? How is it still flying with no v-stab?
:eek:

WOW--didn't hear about that one. It's unbelieveable to me how people can't WAIT to unbuckle their belts and how they let their children fly without one the second the sign comes off.

I always wonder about the people that carry the kids in their lap. That, while obviously legal (and cheaper) is crazy to me!

Yeah, those damn white people, when will they learn...

Back