+TSRA

After seeing 30-something views with no response I was starting to wonder if this would be a yawn for guys who fly alot.

It almost looks like that bolt of lightning kills the approach lighting at 1:16.

After seeing 30-something views with no response I was starting to wonder if this would be a yawn for guys who fly alot.

It almost looks like that bolt of lightning kills the approach lighting at 1:16.

If anything, it makes me think of a time or two when I *should * have gone somewhere else, but by the grace of God, got on deck in one piece and vowed to not do that again. IMHO there is nothing macho or cool about flying someone else's multimillion dollar jet into a raging lightning storm because you were too arrogant or stubborn to come up with another place to land. Just sayin :)

Anyone know what aircraft this is? Dude's spoolin' it like a Navy pilot.

wwwwWWWEEEEEeeeeee...wwwWWWEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeee...

You can see the registration very briefly, it's Mexican. XA-MNE (or KE, or HE??)

Very possibly, an example of any lessons learned from Delta 191 being for naught.

I've had very similar experiences, but under completely different circumstances and priorities. Maybe that's the case here? I can't say, as I don't know their mission and associated priority.

Very possibly, an example of any lessons learned from Delta 191 being for naught.

I've had very similar experiences, but under completely different circumstances and priorities. Maybe that's the case here? I can't say, as I don't know their mission and associated priority.

I think it's a Mexicana aircraft. Probably the usual pax flight, but I can't be sure. Reminds me of a time a while ago on approach into Kadena, right as a line of weather started approaching the ILS. ATC asked if we wanted to try to beat it in as the winds started picking up down on the field. We made a couple turns in the hold at about a 15 mile final, let it pass, and landed uneventfully. No need to play chicken. I've already played the Billy Badass game enough, too.

Anyone know what aircraft this is? Dude's spoolin' it like a Navy pilot.

wwwwWWWEEEEEeeeeee...wwwWWWEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeee...

You can see the registration very briefly, it's Mexican. XA-MNE (or KE, or HE??)

from the auto pilot disconnect sound MFD/PFD screens i would say This is an Airbus , cant tell if its an A319 or 20

It is a yawner. He's fine and clearly has it the whole time.

Not being familiar with the aircraft in the video, I can't comment on this with any authority, but in my aircraft, that roll-out scenario is like one minor PIO away from being a baja race through the grass, ending in an ejection (hopefully in time) and a big fireball. It wasn't the approach that made my hair stand up, it was everything after he touched down.

Not being familiar with the aircraft in the video, I can't comment on this with any authority, but in my aircraft, that roll-out scenario is like one minor PIO away from being a baja race through the grass, ending in an ejection (hopefully in time) and a big fireball. It wasn't the approach that made my hair stand up, it was everything after he touched down.

I didn't see anything that stood out on the rollout. What'd you see?

Why do you say that? After touchdown they slow down fine with tons of runway left. It's raining hard, but that's nothing to be worried about, especially on the ground. The wind seems to be mostly down the runway.

I'm not referring to anything I saw in the video in that respect, just picturing myself in that scenario in my jet. That kind of stuff has killed plenty of dudes, through very little or no fault of their own.......I know a guy who is lucky to be alive after landing in similar weather, with a very different outcome. In my community, you aren't out of the woods until you have slowed to taxi speed.....really on any flight due to a few issues, but particularly in weather like this. But beyond that, I can think of few reasons to press weather like that when there is likely decent weather nearby (pretty localized looking cell). Probably some of my impression is simply my personal frame of reference based on the type of aircraft I fly, but overall, I still question their decision making here. Storms like that move pretty quickly, and then they are gone. Like Mike said, I have no idea what their considerations were in this case, but as a generality, this was dumb IMHO.

I'm not referring to anything I saw in the video in that respect, just picturing myself in that scenario in my jet. That kind of stuff has killed plenty of dudes, through very little or no fault of their own.......I know a guy who is lucky to be alive after landing in similar weather, with a very different outcome. In my community, you aren't out of the woods until you have slowed to taxi speed.....really on any flight due to a few issues, but particularly in weather like this. But beyond that, I can think of few reasons to press weather like that when there is likely decent weather nearby (pretty localized looking cell). Probably some of my impression is simply my personal frame of reference based on the type of aircraft I fly, but overall, I still question their decision making here. Storms like that move pretty quickly, and then they are gone. Like Mike said, I have no idea what their considerations were in this case, but as a generality, this was dumb IMHO.

Can't say what kind of jet this is, but directional control probably wouldn't be much of an issue. Typical transport jets "sit down" rather well once the ground spoilers come out. Antiskid helps a lot, as well (not sure if you have that).

But I agree, I don't see any reason to go for it unless you've worked yourself into a corner and don't have the fuel for a couple laps.

Back