+TSRA

Yeah, we have anti-skid, which most of the time isn't a problem.......the brakes aren't the problem though, it is (as you guessed) squirrely directional control from the landing gear design/geometry, FCS issues as you slow but the rudders (and rudder-aileron interconnect) are still making undesireable things happen, speedbrake blanking of the rudders at high speed, and main landing gear that like to just fold up at un-recoverable groundspeeds/airspeeds. Like I mentioned, I've landed the thing in wx similar to this, and it is not fun. The roll-out feels significantly faster when you are sideways :)

Why do you say that? After touchdown they slow down fine with tons of runway left. It's raining hard, but that's nothing to be worried about, especially on the ground. The wind seems to be mostly down the runway.

Well a wet runway is a serious consideration. I multiply my landing distance by 1.92 and I would add that it was raining pretty hard on the vid. Throw in anti skid and a heavy airplane, 1.92 may not cover the runway needed. Plus all the thing that make one warm and fuzzy, like being a bit fast adds even more runway.

Yeah, the weight and the speed makes it scurry for some of us. I realized after several hundred hours of flying my current aircraft that the speed which a lot of guys die at (or depart the runway to die at) is about where I start to drop the pack and decide I have it made. As it turns out, 80-100 kts is more than fast enough to kill you in a car, so it probably can in an airplane too. Just a thought. It isn't paranoia or fear, but a healthy respect for an old machine that loves to do what you ask of it, but was built to do mostly other things than land on a really wet conventional runway in a driving rainstorm.

Well a wet runway is a serious consideration. I multiply my landing distance by 1.92 and I would add that it was raining pretty hard on the vid. Throw in anti skid and a heavy airplane, 1.92 may not cover the runway needed. Plus all the thing that make one warm and fuzzy, like being a bit fast adds even more runway.

Not just wet, but standing water on runways too is a problem. Note to all, what //AMG is referring to regards directional control on wet/standing water landings is that in his particular aircraft, the landing gear design makes it touchy and requiring a high degree of finesse when landing in these conditions.

And once they got on the ground they waited for the storm to pass so the ground crew could come out and park them....

Back