TSA's LASP program, good? Bad? Indifferent??

Urge 80

I had posted this on another forum but I was curious what you all thought about it. I know it may not be a controller issue but it is an aviation one and in my opinion, an important one. Here is a link to that more or less breaks down the issue http://web.nbaa.org/public/ops/security/lasp/analysis.php

Basically the TSA wants to extend to smaller (and mostly corporate) aircraft, the same restrictions it does on comercial aircraft. This means enforcing no-fly lists, TSA inspections, etc.

I have my thoughts on the subject, but I am a bit biased....

i watched tsa set up a mobile security screening post (on the ramp at the fbo on the field) for a professional sports team that chartered a jet.....not sure if this was mandatory or voluntary, either way....its silly

I suppose it's understandable for someone who charters a jet, but I sure hope they don't think they can keep the owners from bringing whatever they want on their own planes.

i watched tsa set up a mobile security screening post (on the ramp at the fbo on the field) for a professional sports team that chartered a jet.....not sure if this was mandatory or voluntary, either way....its silly

Unless that chartered jet's destination was an airport where they disembarked in a SIDA.

I suppose it's understandable for someone who charters a jet, but I sure hope they don't think they can keep the owners from bringing whatever they want on their own planes.

The way I understood it that is the case, they will not be able to bring certain items on board. Exec's would have to store their golf clubs as that is a weapon...

wow that is ridiculous. they should stay in the terminals

I'd have to agree, some of these people already let their position get to their head as one goes through a security check-point at the airport. It's sad b/c if it weren't for 9/11 they wouldn't have a job so they need to keep things in perspective and while doing that stick to the terminals.

I also wouldn't want them anywhere near my private aircraft inspecting it or whatnot considering the damage they did to those EGF planes trying to gain access to them

I understand charters on an airline - but how long till this goes to flights departing and leaving from an FBO?

The program is actually much worse than that. It extends to part 91 ops too. So basically, if you're airplane meet the requirement (and it is WAY less than 100,000 lbs) you would be required to go through a whole bunch of security hoops. The one the NBAA is really making noise about is the fact that a guy who owns his own jet would have to make sure his wife and kids aren't on the no fly list before he could take them skiing for the weekend. Crazy.

This hits America's heavy hitters, I doubt anything like this will be "allowed" to happen, people who own their own planes have lots of friends in high places.

On a side note if a passenger car is used to blow up a tunnel will there be TSA agents inspecting me as I get into my car in my garage?

AIN had a very good article on this. I read it today. The rule will apply to Part 91 operators of aircraft weighing more than 12,500#. Flight crews will have to pass FBI background checks and finger printing. Passengers will have to be checked against the no-fly list.

The rule, as it is proposed, will even apply to owner-operators.

The article brought up the fact that we've had 2 terrorist attacks using rental trucks (OKC and World Trade Center '93), but there are not security regulations on rental trucks.

Back