Truth about the Profession

I just glanced it over, but it seems pretty well put together. Should not be a sole source of information but another addition to a potential career pilot's list of subject matter to ponder.

That website succinctly covers 99.9% of the information I gleaned from JC over a 1-2 year span that ultimately kept me from going into a metric assload of debt to attend ATP and become an airline pilot.

If I had followed the original plan, based on the get-hired-with-a-pulse at the time I would be:

a) a furloughed 135 pilot
b) a furloughed 121 pilot

My timing was about 9 months too late to have made it somewhere - at least in the 121 world - to not be furloughed at present like so many guys on this site were.

The website tells it like it is.

Nonetheless, I'm glad I made the leap from accountant to CFI. Even though I have not made it to 121, I have not looked back. And although I'm poorer, I'm also happier. It's the journey, not the destination.

The website tells it like it is.

Nonetheless, I'm glad I made the leap from accountant to CFI. Even though I have not made it to 121, I have not looked back. And although I'm poorer, I'm also happier. It's the journey, not the destination.

Nope, there is a whole section about the pilot shortage. I've been told by many pilots in the know there will be a pilot shortage.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Good find.

But about this pilot shortage. They've been predicting it since the 80s. It's got to happen soon, it's 20 years overdue :sarcasm:.

There will never be a pilot shortage as long as you can go 0-Hero in 90 days...Shortage of qualified pilots, well thats a different story.

I found a couple of "facts" I take issue with. You don't HAVE to go into debt to be a pilot. You can pay as you go.

Also, being a flight instructor doesn't mean you have to be poor. You could do it part time. It would just take longer to accumulate hours.

I found a couple of "facts" I take issue with. You don't HAVE to go into debt to be a pilot. You can pay as you go.

Also, being a flight instructor doesn't mean you have to be poor. You could do it part time. It would just take longer to accumulate hours.

Guess you didn't really read much of the site now did you?

Anyway - how about you write your suggestions back to the gentlemen who decided to contribute something to those looking to flying for a career.

Anyway - how about you write your suggestions back to the gentlemen who decided to contribute something to those looking to flying for a career.

Pretty much, everyone here contributes something to those looking to flying for a career.

Whether or not it is one's intent, if you post on here, people will read it and have an opinion one way or another.

As it's a discussion, and not a presentation, I'd even wager you can see more points of view.

Pretty much, everyone here contributes something to those looking to flying for a career.

Whether or not it is one's intent, if you post on here, people will read it and have an opinion one way or another.

As it's a discussion, and not a presentation, I'd even wager you can see more points of view.

My point Polar was that if skydog2 wanted to correct the guys "factual" information, it'd be best if he directed to the actual author of the site.

Then again, the guy never claims that going into debt is the only way into a flying career in the first place.

The only thing I saw wrong with it is where he hints that the most anyone can ever hope to get to is 200k a year. I know of people at some airlines getting well past that, but like he says, so few will ever get there its a mute point anyway.

Good stuff for someone who is just starting to wonder about trying for the airlines.

Back