Trouble yet again

Open Skies for foriegn airlines!?!?!?

The LAST thing I want is Ryannair or EasyJet flying from DFW-ORD!!!!

You CAN'T let foriegn airlines fly domestic US routes... they're almost always paid less than the avg. US pilot (EasyJet VS. SWA pilots, for example) cheap labor, lower costs, the competition would be unbearable.

I think there's something called (sp?) cabbotage???

Well whatever this is, I can only hope it doesn't go into effect.

Spelling... I wasn't sure of the spelling of Cabbotage

still not sure LOL
grin.gif

I've preached over and over again about the ills of cabotage. Some listen, others think I'm nuts, but it's real folks.

Reduction of cabotage laws will create many new jobs. But they're not going to be created domestically for U.S. citizens.

I'm going to do my best to steer free of the political iceberg, but there are a lot of well-monied people with their eyes on eroding our cabotage laws and a federal government that could care less about the long term impact on the average airline employee.

Labor is just a cost. New cabotage laws would drive the cost of labor down. Driving labor costs down is always considered "good business" irrespective of how it impacts the average tax-paying "Joe".

Politically, the planets are 'aligned' for a swift and uncontested passage if it gains any momentum.

Just to play devils advocate (and play conspiracy theorist), it could even be paralleled with our 'guest worker' program, and an airline could post a 737 position for $15,000 per year on the government jobs site, find no one taking the job and then use a 'guest worker' who is a qualified 737 pilot from Bolivia (where $15,000 US would be phat bank in local currency) to fill the job that 'No American Wanted" (tm).

Whew! Was that "politically correct" or what?
smile.gif

Just think of this as the NAFTA of the skies. If you loved NAFTA, you'll love this. I wouldn't be surprised if a very tough effort by the Unions squashes this idea. Just another example of 'Globalism'.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is cabbotage?

[/ QUOTE ]
The exclusive right of a country to operate the air traffic within its territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was when another country flew domestic routes not in its own country.

wouldnt the unions fight this?

this would be the death of any prestigous pilot positions out there, when you could be paying someone $20,000 to do what a captain does at $120,000

[ QUOTE ]
wouldnt the unions fight this?

this would be the death of any prestigous pilot positions out there, when you could be paying someone $20,000 to do what a captain does at $120,000

[/ QUOTE ]

And your signature is "W - 04" ?

Dubbya friend to the working class.

[ QUOTE ]
And your signature is "W - 04" ?

Dubbya friend to the working class.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you for your unsolicited observations.
tongue.gif

airline pilots seem to me to be the bastard children of both political parties.

anyway lets leave politics in the @ box. and answer the question

Would the unions allow this to happen?

I'm sure the Unions will chime in on this issue strongly. I'm personally opposed to the globalization of the job market because the lowest common denominator wins. Much like 'pop-culture'

ya, but we all know Dubbya and the "like" doesn't like the unions - so no matter how much they squawk, they may just do it anyways to end the union strife....

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the Unions will chime in on this issue strongly. I'm personally opposed to the globalization of the job market because the lowest common denominator wins. Much like 'pop-culture'

[/ QUOTE ]

The first "George" tried it but it got rejected by a democrat-majority in the senate.

But this time, the planets are aligned
frown.gif

Back