Trim failure out of DAL

Strait up panic and pants crapping over a non life-threatening emergency. That is a hallmark look into the lack of experience being hired by companies right now.

I am typed in the Sovereign, and you have ears. Listen to the audio. CA took the controls and the FO was barely hanging on.
Explain this. If the CA was flying how was the FO "just hanging on"? Your type rating makes you almost an expert, just like the instructor that signed you off. Hearing a few minutes of audio and deciding you know what happened is arrogant and dumb. That's a dangerous combo (although not uncommon) for anyone involved in aviation

Curious, if the primary and secondary are out, I assume those are electric? There’s also a manual trim wheel? Or any other manual option?

Even if trim failed, at a low airspeed, not sure how it would be a big deal. Assuming the takeoff trim was set, and it failed there (which it sounds like it did), keep the power in check and use the elevator. Sounds like they did just that to an easy looking circuit and landing.

Oh well. Corpies gonna Corp. Glad it worked out okay.

Curious, if the primary and secondary are out, I assume those are electric? There’s also a manual trim wheel? Or any other manual option?

Even if trim failed, at a low airspeed, not sure how it would be a big deal. Assuming the takeoff trim was set, and it failed there (which it sounds like it did), keep the power in check and use the elevator. Sounds like they did just that to an easy looking circuit and landing.

Are you asking about elevator trim or pitch trim or both? Those are two different things.

Or they were both physically fighting the airplane all the way back around.
I mean I'm definitely not condemning anyone based on "what it sounds like", but it doesn't *sound like* the infant on the radio was struggling to keep the nose up/down, more just freaking out. Now, El Capitan might have been moving mountains in the left seat, but I don't hear an F/O with his feet on the dash trying to pull back (or throwing himself on the yoke to keep the nose down), there.

If what it *sounds like* is right, and I'm more in the "let's see what the report says" camp on that one, then the comments from the meanies are probably not totally out of line. *shrug*

Since you don’t know anything but you type a lot let me educate you a little.

A primary and secondary failure on this type = a jammed stab. You’re welcome.

The crew got the airplane safely on the ground after a control failure. I really don't give a rats ass what they sounded like on the radio. For all we know that FO was working his tail off as support.

But you know what? I REALLY DON'T CARE. As admirable as it may be to auger in to the ground while sounding cool like the marlboro man, I'll take a slightly freaked out pilot that responds correctly, declares in a timely fashion, gets priority handling, communicates effectively, and gets the plane on the ground. And if that was my FO, I'd be proud of him.

Some of you are a little too salty for your own good.

I don't think he sounded all that bad. Obviously stressed, but I'm not detecting panic or any extreme attitude being communicated. Possibly a lower time guy, dealing with his first in-flight emergency. PM duties during an emergency return can be a handful if you're trying to sort out which emergency checklist applies, and have a short time-frame to get it done, and need to also be sure you're safely configured. Assuming he was originally PF, his adrenaline may have got an abnormal boost when the initial failure occured and maybe startled him with unusual handling(?).

A primary and secondary failure after takeoff in TO configuration for this type requires enough control column force that it usually breaks the simulator, it requires you to pass the controls back and forth after you get tired, and a technique taught at school is to ram your leg in front of the yoke to help the pressure.

For those that think it ain’t nothing.

Back