Train Conductor

Great thread! I'm close to graduating and have thought about going down this route, too. Does BNSF look down upon people willing to relocate?

Great thread! I'm close to graduating and have thought about going down this route, too. Does BNSF look down upon people willing to relocate?

The opposite is true, most of the time you have to be willing to relocate. So the more flexible you are the better the odds are to getting hired.

Just like being in the military always ready to move to a new location. I figured that after yo get up in the seniority list you can pick your next location instead of them telling you were to go.

I'm not much for trains myself, after 2000 hours of CFI-ing I decided to transfer to air med. Good pay, decent QOL.

...Also I felt like necroposting.

I'm not much for trains myself, after 2000 hours of CFI-ing I decided to transfer to air med. Good pay, decent QOL.

...Also I felt like necroposting.

If you're bored, may I suggest a number of coloring books! :)

Interested as well.... The pay at the regionals has now risen sufficiently to draw many who had long left many moons ago for other pastures.

Interested as well.... The pay at the regionals has now risen sufficiently to draw many who had long left many moons ago for other pastures.
I flew with a former train conductor the other day.
Saab regional, MSP airline that's been southerned now, furlough, back to Saab regional, then off to drive trains for a while, now a direct entry captain.
Says it was fun for a while, then some story about their labor contract handed back to them as no longer applicable dulled the joy, plus it is still a lot of time on the road, shorter stretches of time at home, very limited geography-wise by the max duty periods.
Point being, he's back flying.

I flew with a former train conductor the other day.
Saab regional, MSP airline that's been southerned now, furlough, back to Saab regional, then off to drive trains for a while, now a direct entry captain.
Says it was fun for a while, then some story about their labor contract handed back to them as no longer applicable dulled the joy, plus it is still a lot of time on the road, shorter stretches of time at home, very limited geography-wise by the max duty periods.
Point being, he's back flying.

There was a BNSF train engineer in my class in '16.... Now a regional captain, did not like his railroad schedule since he was perpetuously on reserve.

Back