Traffic details for jetcareers.com **WOW**

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Averages as of 9/11/03:

Average monthly sessions: 268,525.22
Average monthly pageviews: 2,999,918.56
Average monthly hits: 9,697,291.56
Average monthly bandwidth: 34.68Gb (yes, gigabytes)

Wow, no wonder the server has been running crazy!

There wouldn't be a jetcareers without you guys reading and participating!

Thanks for the support over the years!

That is awesome, I remembe when it was a mindspring getting 10 views a day and you would possibly get 3-5 emails a day!! HA HA. It has come a long way since then!!

Doug are you hosted on a webservice company or do you have your own personal one? Thanks

Dan Charles

Doug, is there any way to track user history? I would be curious to see who the most active JC user is, not just by number of posts but by time actually logged in and reading posts...

[ QUOTE ]
That is awesome, I remembe when it was a mindspring getting 10 views a day and you would possibly get 3-5 emails a day!! HA HA. It has come a long way since then!!

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt.

It all started with a boring, snowy day in Milwaukee sitting reserve on the 1900 back in 1996...
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Doug are you hosted on a webservice company or do you have your own personal one? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I lease a server from Hostway in Chicago.

No web host will even entertain hosting a 38Gb bandwidth website.

In fact, even the web hosting services that advertised "unlimited bandwidth" laughed their asses off when I told them how much bandwidth I required.

Thus, I had to lease a dedicated server, but ad sales (thanks FlightSafety, Airline Transport Professionals, Paris Air, Ari-Ben Aviator (starting tomorrow)) an others with taking a sizeable chunk out of the cost of the lease.

[ QUOTE ]
Doug, is there any way to track user history? I would be curious to see who the most active JC user is, not just by mumber of posts but by time actually logged in and reading posts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I can only see averages from the weblogs to see what the average user does. I can also see what a particular user might view and the trail he follows thru the website, but my software doesnt' collect information about who that particular user actually is.

I'm a big believer in internet privacy.

[ QUOTE ]
It all started with a boring, snowy day in Milwaukee sitting reserve on the 1900 back in 1996...

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug, do you mind telling us more about the history of jetcareers?

[ QUOTE ]

Doug, do you mind telling us more about the history of jetcareers?

[/ QUOTE ]
That would actually be a cool why dont you make a stroy out of it Doug
smile.gif
?

It started out as Doug's resume. When he was an 727 FE at DL, he it was still hosted and mindspring and had very few things. Mainly about needing a degree (it was pre network network network time), and a schedules and that a few other things - and then it grew!

I don't think I could have made many of the decisions regarding my training without the information from Jetcareers, decisions that have so far worked out very well. I certainly would not have as much knowledge of aviation in general. There is just so much deceptive and just plain wrong information out there, waiting for someone with aspirations to fly, and I'm glad this website exists as a beacon through that storm. I send quite a few people here in hopes they can benefit like I have.

Thanks Doug!

Yeah, out of all those books and everything else out there... I probably learn the vast majority of the useful stuff right here.

You tha man Doug
cool.gif

Congratulations Doug, I can't tell you how important this site has been for me espcially when choosing a school and getting a handle on the industry. Bravo!

[ QUOTE ]
I remembe when it was a mindspring getting 10 views a day and you would possibly get 3-5 emails a day!

[/ QUOTE ]

Letsee, if email traffic scales the same as pageviews, that must mean Doug gets about 40,000 emails per day now...
shocked.gif

In fact, before I got the domain name "jetcareers", I had asked Iain about it because he was probably the original regular visitor.

When I put up the first forum in early 2000, he was the first registered user -- I didn't even have it fully installed and he was already there, posting away!

Here are all the design changes since 2000 when I got the domain name (four years after my first page in 1996): http://web.archive.org/web/*/jetcareers.com

Here are some of the pages when it was simply http://www.mindspring.com/~dltayor (doesn't include the first two years of the site) : Visual History

Here it is after I purchased the domain name and got my first web hosting account after being kicked off of Mindspring for traffic overages: Visual History

Thats awesome...looking back on some of those pages from 99 and 2000 bring back some memories. You had to have had about 100 people sign your guestbook back in 98 and 99...any of those people still hangin around?

Back