Toughest Ratings?

JGriffis

Hello all, I was just curious as to your experience obtaining your ratings...which one was the toughest, why, etc?

Thus far, the instrument was probably the most difficult for me. Just a whole lot of technical information to learn, memorize and be able to process in a split second. Kinesthetically, it really wasn't that difficult, and I suppose that it's because you're not learning how to fly the plane all over again. But you are learning how to operate in a completely new enviroment.

I would say the initial CFI checkride especially if you have to go to a FSDO for it. It's a whole different world when you're dealing with them.

So far, I'd say private. There's a huge amount of new information to process and, at the same time, you're learning to actually fly the plane. By far the most mind boggling.

But then again, I haven't done the CFI yet . . .

Currently have a PPL, but just finished my stg3 check for the instrument rating. For me the instrument rating has been harder.

I've heard CFI is the hardest followed by the instrument, but I'm gonna go with Photopilot and say the private was the hardest and possibly also the most rewarding because you go from not knowing anything to flying passengers around.

For me, it's a tie between Instrument and F/E turbojet 727. But I think the CFI is really the hardest for most people....I kinda skated on my CFI.

The toughest checkride should be your private. This is the biggest transition after all, as you go from non-pilot to pilot. A Private Pilot needs to be familiar with just about everything. Every other checkride is just from one level of pilot to the next level.

The type rides were very stressful in preparation but they ended up being "a piece of kelp" (aside: You know you have a 3 yr old when you can quote "Finding Nemo" word for word.)

The instrument, by far, was the most difficult for me. Lot's of info all at once. Early intro to "drinking from the fire hose."
grin.gif

Private for sure. So much new information, lingo, thought processes-it's whole new world. Tough checkride too. It seems like all the ratings since have just been variations on a theme, yet they all use what I learned for the private rating.

Private was pretty tough, but just coming off the instrument checkride, I'd have to go with instrument. Both are basically two totally new worlds, but for me the instrument had more info that was difficult for me to grasp and learn.

[ QUOTE ]
The instrument, by far, was the most difficult for me. Lot's of info all at once. Early intro to "drinking from the fire hose."
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You weren't exactly having the best instructor experience, either...were you?

Single engine commercial ... I just can't seem to get the damn thing scheduled!
crazy.gif
mad.gif
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You weren't exactly having the best instructor experience, either...were you?

[/ QUOTE ]
No! Good point! And DAMN - I had almost forgotten. Thanks for making me remember!
mad.gif

<eye twitching....talking to self....loading gun....>
grin.gif

mtsu speaks truth! My first instructor for my IR sucked...big time! It got bad...and exspensive. But, thankfully, my second instructor was on the ball and our personalities meshed.

[ QUOTE ]
And DAMN - I had almost forgotten. Thanks for making me remember!
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what friends are for!!!

All of the licenses and ratings I earned with Microsoft Flight Simulator were pretty challenging. I sure am glad I have them all done, printed, & tucked in my wallet.
wink.gif

Back in reality: Private was pretty easy, but I worked as a sailing captain for years and there is quite a bit of cross over knowledge that lightened the learning load a bunch. When I consider my current private students the first step does seem like a tough process. The rest of the ratings all had different challenges. I think my initial CFI ride was the most stressful and I probably worked to hardest to get that one.

[ QUOTE ]
All of the licenses and ratings I earned with Microsoft Flight Simulator were pretty challenging. I sure am glad I have them all done, printed, & tucked in my wallet.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know, as much as I love that game, I can't pass the Instrument checkride for crap!!! I always bust the steep turns or something....

My private was by far the most difficult for me. There were times during that when I despaired of ever completing FA110, but I got through it ... with an embarrassingly large number of hours for a private pilot, but that's another story. After that, I really had it pretty easy ... my instrument, commercials, CFIs, and even the King Air training was pretty straightforward to me. I think it has a lot to do with what your particular aptitudes are (some people take to IFR easier than VFR flying, etc.) and how well your style and your instructor's mesh. Can't over-emphasize the importance of selecting a good instructor, and not being afraid to make a change if you're not happy!

Russ

Back