Toughest Ratings?

[ QUOTE ]
The oral for my Recreational Pilot certificate-Multi-engine land was by far the toughest checkride one can go through.

[/ QUOTE ]

But where else can you fly at 400 knots @ 200 AGL - inverted??
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
my instructor described it to me as "5 hours of oral and 3 hours of anal"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm speechless!

shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, I'm stressing hard about the upcoming Commercial ride(s). I'm freaking more over the oral exam stuff - you know - the crap you're supposed to know inside and out and be able to spew forth on demand..... the stuff that I'm trying to cram in my already saturated brain.

Whoever said the Commercial was "easy".... LIED!

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad I'm not the only one freaking over my commercial ride.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The flying part doesn't spook me. It's the verbal part. Hell, I freez on info with my instructor.
crazy.gif

I'm pretty sure "Uhhhhhhhhh...." isn't going to do me any favors in the real deal.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Don't freeze.

2. Don't offer excess info unless asked. Make them ask for it. The more you talk and "search" for an answer, the deeper a hole you can dig for yourself, and you give the examiner more options/thoughts/ideas to ask you more and more, especially if you state something a little unclear or vague. Answer all questions to the absolute minimum. A checkride isn't the time to shine your a$$ intentionally, you'll get plenty of tries to do that accidentally.

3. No outward stress showing. Gotta make like it's nothing but a thing.

4. Once complete and the examiner is finished with debrief. If you have any concern whether he examiner graded you on technique versus procedure, voice it in a diplomatic manner. There's nothing worse than examiners that grade based on how you accomplished a task that met guidelines. Giving feedback about your technique is great to help make life easier, but if your way met standards, then it can't be held against you.

Take these to the bank and you'll be fine.

I just took my Commercial Multi oral today (flight tomorrow...I'll post a gouge on both then), and it really was not as difficult as I expected. I was pretty nervous about the whole deal, but you'd be surprised at just how much info you can spew that you didn't even remember learning.

As many people said the CFI can be difficult. It also depends how much prep you do before you go. My school made me have intructor outlines and lesson plans for each item in the each of the Private, Commercial, Multi, and CFI PTS's done. The school ride was difficult, but it helped me to pass my all of my CFI rides the first time.

My intial instructor ride was the MEI, which means one thing, you're going to teach VMC. I had awesome handout to teach with, and that impressed the D.E.. When I went for the CFI and CFII, I was asked all sorts of creative questions. The examiner's thinking was, since I already had my Initial Instructor, I knew my stuff, but he just wanted to see how I could apply that knowledge.

The instument wasn't too bad for me. If you have simulators to practice on, it helps. I did my instument in a Seminole, so that adds some extra factors in the ride such as engine failures, etc.

As with what was said before for the commercial, the 180 degree poweroff landings are tough. There are very tough margins for the landing, and with winds it makes it even harder to judge. Even though you can safely land the airplane on the runway, it has to be within the PTS limits. I landed 100ft long of the PTS limit and failed my ride because of it. In my opinion, that is one of the hardest part's of the commercial ride.

Tim

<font color="blue"> </font>
PHX

"Don't offer excess info unless asked. Make them ask for it. The more you talk and "search" for an answer, the deeper a hole you can dig for yourself, and you give the examiner more options/thoughts/ ideas to ask you more and more, especially if you state something a little unclear or vague."

Wiser words never spoken....

"Once complete and the examiner is finished with debrief. If you have any concern whether he examiner graded you on technique versus procedure, voice it in a diplomatic manner."

Be careful with this one. One Feds technique could be the next guys procedure. There is no union to back you up and there is no standardization amoung FSDO's inspectors like there should be. I'd just smile, thank the guy for the ride, and walk away...you never know when you might see him again. If you have to say something, be VERY diplomatic....as MikeD said.

My hardest checkride was probably the multi-engine instrument. I got caught up in too much of the Riddle-minutia instead of just flying the darned aircraft.

But the one that frightened me the most was probably the CFI and II. I basically studied my arse off expecting the worst, had a long oral, flew the aircraft and was congratulated on one of the best checkrides the SJC FSDO has seen that year.

Wow!

[ QUOTE ]
The flying part doesn't spook me. It's the verbal part. Hell, I freez on info with my instructor.

I'm pretty sure "Uhhhhhhhhh...." isn't going to do me any favors in the real deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

R2F--I wouldn't be too nervous about it. I passed my commercial ride yesterday, and the oral was pretty straightforward. I get the sense that the commercial oral is to make sure that you can create (and justify) a decent flight plan, read a chart, know basic VFR regulations by heart, and know the basics of what you can and can't do as a commercial pilot. It's not bad, and I believe most examiners will let you use books, etc, if you freeze up on one or two items. I found that talking to myself while driving around really helped me spew the info smoothly. I was stressing beforehand, but it was much easier than I expected. I don't think you've got nothin' to worry about.

[ QUOTE ]
I always hear people say that, but it's far from the truth!! I was borderlining on scare everytime we did a short field landing, or a power-off 180. I just knew I was stalling and landing short....

[/ QUOTE ]

I was *gripped* for the short-field and the power-off 180. People have been failing regularly around here for the 180, and I was pretty worked up about it. Somehow I pulled a pretty one straight from nowhere on the checkride (within 50ft or so, no slipping needed) and got huge compliments from the examiner. It actually turned out to be an excellent checkride overall, but I was definately more nervous than for my private.

-Zach

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm speechless!

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet you wouldn't be after 3 hours of...... well... you know.

Come on guys take it like a pro, I do....
wink.gif

My PPL oral exam was like an hour maybe 2 flight portion bout the same.

Corrie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm speechless!

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet you wouldn't be after 3 hours of...... well... you know.

Come on guys take it like a pro, I do....
wink.gif

My PPL oral exam was like an hour maybe 2 flight portion bout the same.

Corrie

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell?
confused.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with an embarrassingly large number of hours for a private pilot

[/ QUOTE ]
FL - I wouldn't worry about that, my old roommate was doing training full time, no job, no nothing, just flight training, and it took him 11 months, and just over 200 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

11 months? That's nothing! Took me 16 YEARS! That's right: first flight lesson 1/7/86, first solo 2/21/86, private checkride 5/2/02.

[ QUOTE ]
11 months? That's nothing! Took me 16 YEARS! That's right: first flight lesson 1/7/86, first solo 2/21/86, private checkride 5/2/02.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many solo re-endorsements did that add up to?
grin.gif

Back