Tough decisions and broken crystal balls

I have a feeling once the 737 operator starts it's Hawaii and international expansion there will be growth... albeit slow and steady. Great corporate culture, but hopefully it's not depleted with the integration.

JB could still be bought out? They do have a great product and lots of room to get bigger.

I would love to be in your shoes though! I'd personally go fly 737s and never look back.

I have a feeling once the 737 operator starts it's Hawaii and international expansion there will be growth... albeit slow and steady. Great corporate culture, but hopefully it's not depleted with the integration.

JB could still be bought out? They do have a great product and lots of room to get bigger.

I would love to be in your shoes though! I'd personally go fly 737s and never look back.

I just jumpseated on that 737 operator the other day on 2 separate legs. Both crews believed Hawaii will not happen now for various reasons. Interesting conversations... Also, I think the corporate culture is already diluted with the integration and was a pretty major unintended consequence that will largely affect the future of the airline.

They USED to have a great corporate culture. Talking to my friends on the inside, their corporate culture is more Delat/United/American than SWA. Just ask the AirTran guys. The Morris Air employees got treated a LOT better. They also said it was such a horrible strain on things they'd never merge with another airline again. They'd buy pieces of one (ATA comes to mind), but not a merger. Fast forward and change CEOs and they're knee deep in merger mania with everyone else. They're also just as bogged down by the merger as everyone else.

Could JetBlue get bought out? Yeah, and it wouldn't surprise me if it happens down the road. That being said, it's gonna have to be someone with some cash or a lot of stock to swap.

Hey Zap,

I just want to point out that regardless of whatever you decide, if I remember your history correctly you've managed to get yourself hired at at least 5 different career destination gigs.

So if the nameless 737 operator doesn't workout, it's just a matter of time until a Legacy calls!

In the meantime, ever consider interview coaching? :D

Hey man

My mom always taught me, that GOD works in mysterious ways. Everything happens for a reason. Don't look back at your past and regret any of it because it made you who you are and because of what you have been through you are a stronger person because of it.

I just want to encourage you that everything will work themselves out. You just need to hang n there and keep your head up. You have a awesome wife who will stand by your side and that is awesome! As you move forward, any decisions you make. Go with with the one that gives you the most peace.

Cory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zap, I've enjoyed reading your posts for awhile, I can't add anything more than what's already been added, so I'll just say good luck with your decision.

Quick story, had a Delta 757 CA in my j/s awhile back. Through general chit-chat it came out that DL was airline number 13. He counted a couple of the piston 135's he worked for, but then it was Hugh's air? And Republic? who Im not familiar with, then NWA, then Delta. Anyways, he has weekends off and said he's still got some good years left before retirement and is content.

So it sounds like you have some time left and can still make it happen!

Zap, I've enjoyed reading your posts for awhile, I can't add anything more than what's already been added, so I'll just say good luck with your decision.

Quick story, had a Delta 757 CA in my j/s awhile back. Through general chit-chat it came out that DL was airline number 13. He counted a couple of the piston 135's he worked for, but then it was Hugh's air? And Republic? who Im not familiar with, then NWA, then Delta. Anyways, he has weekends off and said he's still got some good years left before retirement and is content.

So it sounds like you have some time left and can still make it happen!

He was hired at Hughes, which merged with republic, which merged with northwest, which merged with delta.

He only interviewed and was hired at Hughes. After that it was just a bunch of mergers.

I just jumpseated on that 737 operator the other day on 2 separate legs. Both crews believed Hawaii will not happen now for various reasons. Interesting conversations... Also, I think the corporate culture is already diluted with the integration and was a pretty major unintended consequence that will largely affect the future of the airline.
"That" operator, indeed.

He was hired at Hughes, which merged with republic, which merged with northwest, which merged with delta.

He only interviewed and was hired at Hughes. After that it was just a bunch of mergers.
I know, Ive heard how much one merger sucks. That's three easy right there nvm any prior he didn't mention.

They USED to have a great corporate culture. Talking to my friends on the inside, their corporate culture is more Delat/United/American than SWA. Just ask the AirTran guys. The Morris Air employees got treated a LOT better.

I'm not sure the Morris pilots would agree. While they are in a good position now, many years later, their top seniority pilots were stapled with no regard for any service at Morris. Many left at the time. Crystal ball...

I'm surprised nobody has stopped to ponder who or what broke Zap's balls.

Nothing.

@ZapBrannigan made a decision about his career about it being served better somewhere else other than his present carrier.

Good on him! :)

If you have to wait until something 'breaks your balls' before taking command of your life, you're doing it wrong.

I don't get it either. Break my balls? I have no ill will towards my current employer - on the contrary I've been treated very well during my short tenure there. (And I'm not quiet when I'm being mistreated - as I neared the end of my corporate career I was very vocal about why I was making a change)

This change, if I choose to make it, is being made to pursue an easier commute, more desirable domiciles to move to, a CBA, less expensive health insurance and maybe a little bit of ego.

I still haven't made a decision. Spending time with the family over the holidays and really trying to pour over all of the pros and cons. Hopefully will be my last change, so I want to make sure it's right for our family.

Well as the Yankees say "Not for nothing", But I think some of the other LCC Carriers that have been around while are in for tougher times. JetBlue seems be more positioned for growth, possibly larger planes and intl.

Last edited:
Back