Tough decisions and broken crystal balls

Nothing in this business has been static for the last 20 years. I can't imagine the next 20 would be any different. If they fail to grow over the next twenty years, I would imagine they are likely to disappear from the scene. Just as decisions shouldn't be made solely upon which carrier has a quick upgrade, you could argue the opposite. Predicting 5 years in this business is a wag... 20 years would be a miracle.

(That said, my present employer could grow to become a global carrier in its own right over the same period. They have a great product and the customers love them. No way to know. Everything is a gamble.)

Last edited:
Sounds like you have all the right problems to have... First an interview with Bleu... and now this. Its hard to do but you need to relax and enjoy the ride. Perspective is everything.

Congrats, but man, I'll be honest.

Strong CBA's, work rules and "stability" in this business, at any airline, even a presently strong one, is fleeting.

I'm not second-guessing your decision as it's yours to make, but I think smart money might be on carriers with a global exposure as when the next round of consolidation hits (and it will) you might find a little more comfort in a liquor store that sells everything from Schaffers to Belgian Saison. Not just Bud Light.

Congrats, but man, I'll be honest.

Strong CBA's, work rules and "stability" in this business, at any airline, even a presently strong one, is fleeting.

I'm not second-guessing your decision as it's yours to make, but I think smart money might be on carriers with a global exposure as when the next round of consolidation hits (and it will) you might find a little more comfort in a liquor store that sells everything from Schaffers to Belgian Saison. Not just Bud Light.

Can't argue with that Doug. Unfortunately, that's not the decision I have to make and I have enough candles on the cake to know that waiting and hoping for a carrier with global exposure to call may leave me at midnight going home with the last girl still in the bar at last call.

This is the one in front of me today and the one I need to act upon.

You got this.

We can not go through life reliving the "regrets," so pull the trigger and keep your eyes forward.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Zap:

I might be the dissenter here. (airline) was great for guys hired more than 10 years ago and before. It is still a very good job for First Officers from a QOL and pay standpoint. That isn't everything though. Their recent antics with any airline that they think of buying or merge with gives a clear indication of the mindset of their pilots. That is not a group I would want to be associated with. It just isn't in my make-up to totally screw over another person. Think of what they did to Midway, ATA, and Frontier guys as well as Air Tran. Not cool. JetBlue hasn't screwed over other pilot groups for their own benefit.

Further, (airline)'s flight operations quality and safety is far behind the industry norm. I personally couldn't sit next to a cowboy and keep my mouth shut when they do stupid stuff. No amount of money or QOL is worth putting up with that.

TP

Last edited by a moderator:
So much for leaving the company names off the thread. :-(

Ok, well thanks for the thoughts. Definitely something else to think about that I hadn't considered.

Sorry, I was just guessing it's them. I don't know for sure.

In any event, I should have said congratulations for passing the interview. It's always nice to have choices. No slam on you if you do take the job. Another thought though.

DAL and perhaps UAL would be a great move. How would it look to the their interview boards if they see a lot of jumping around? True, that's not a sure thing.

Worst case you're an A320 instructor ( I think ). That is a marketable skill. B737 F.O. is not a marketable skill, in the event that something bad happened again.

TP

"Marketable skill" is one of those buzzwords that always gets my attention - usually because it's preceded by the words "I don't have a"

Another excellent point.

I think you can't go wrong either way, especially since you're in the training department now. Is your family willing to move? Moving to Orlando would make your current gig very tolerable.

I get it man, any decision is going to be tough, with that said, I was soooooo looking forward to giving you crap at recurrent down at the school house. I was going to provide pics and all to the JC community :)

Zap:

I might be the dissenter here. (airline) was great for guys hired more than 10 years ago and before. It is still a very good job for First Officers from a QOL and pay standpoint. That isn't everything though. Their recent antics with any airline that they think of buying or merge with gives a clear indication of the mindset of their pilots. That is not a group I would want to be associated with. It just isn't in my make-up to totally screw over another person. Think of what they did to Midway, ATA, and Frontier guys as well as Air Tran. Not cool. JetBlue hasn't screwed over other pilot groups for their own benefit.

Further, (airline)'s flight operations quality and safety is far behind the industry norm. I personally couldn't sit next to a cowboy and keep my mouth shut when they do stupid stuff. No amount of money or QOL is worth putting up with that.

TP

Agreed...I'm downright frightened at the outlook at my current employer, but SW could give me a job tomorrow, no interview required (Mesa style) and I'd say thanks, but no thanks for all of the above reasons.

Gotta do whats best for you and your family and what has the LEAST stress. You can jump around when you're young but eventually you need to find a place where you can park it till you retire and MOVE to base. Commuting is the worst thing ever.

I wouldn't let you do that.

I would hope he wouldn't do that.

People seem to have this thing that you only get 3 airlines to go to in a career. Whats to say you can't go from Regional to LCC to Legacy? You're not getting married, it's just a job.

I would hope he wouldn't do that.

People seem to have this thing that you only get 3 airlines to go to in a career. Whats to say you can't go from Regional to LCC to Legacy? You're not getting married, it's just a job.

I don't mind other LCCs, it's just that one I don't have much respect for.

Back