Time Build for CPL

SMHarrell

Hello All. I am currently working to get current and also plan to work on getting my IR currency immediately following. I have purchased flight sim yoke, rudder pedals and throttle, along with Xplane 11 to help me get the procedures back.

I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions/tips to help get me to my 250 hours for CPL. I am currently sitting at @160 TT. I plan to build some time practicing some CPL maneuvers and then get with an instructor for the last 20 hours or so to do the actual required CPL training.

Thanks again for the help!

Hello All. I am currently working to get current and also plan to work on getting my IR currency immediately following. I have purchased flight sim yoke, rudder pedals and throttle, along with Xplane 11 to help me get the procedures back.

I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions/tips to help get me to my 250 hours for CPL. I am currently sitting at @160 TT. I plan to build some time practicing some CPL maneuvers and then get with an instructor for the last 20 hours or so to do the actual required CPL training.

Thanks again for the help!

You need flight time. I'd get into an inexpensive flying club or FBO, book block hours, and fly XC flights as slowly as you can stand to fly them to airports at least 50NM away. You might as well build your XC time along with the total time you need. Make it count. Even better if you can do some or all of it under the hood.

You need flight time. I'd get into an inexpensive flying club or FBO, book block hours, and fly XC flights as slowly as you can stand to fly them to airports at least 50NM away. You might as well build your XC time along with the total time you need. Make it count. Even better if you can do some or all of it under the hood.

That's what I thought would be the best way. I have a flying club near me that has a Warrior. Costs $300 to join and then $75 a month and $45 dry an hour. Seems pretty inexpensive. The only downfall is they don't have a complex plane available. so I guess I will have to rent at a flight school to get those hours.

That's what I thought would be the best way. I have a flying club near me that has a Warrior. Costs $300 to join and then $75 a month and $45 dry an hour. Seems pretty inexpensive. The only downfall is they don't have a complex plane available. so I guess I will have to rent at a flight school to get those hours.

That is a pretty good price, I think, if gas isn't too expensive in your area. Where are you located? Some flying clubs have complex airplanes.

That is a pretty good price, I think, if gas isn't too expensive in your area. Where are you located? Some flying clubs have complex airplanes.

I am near Louisville, KY. We have one other flying club. It's outrageous compared. $1000 join fee, $175 month, $50 hour dry for C172, $90 for SR22.

I think at this point, it's probably better to go the cheaper club and fly the warrior. there are a few schools where I can just rent a complex for about $100 an hour dry.

Fuel is around $5.25 or so around here.

Join the club, find another time builder and go fly cross country all over the place. One of you under the hood, the other safety pilot. Then switch back and forth each leg.

The way I did it was actually jumped on this forum and found a lot of great people to share time with under the "safety pilot" rule so that you can both log PIC besides for the take offs and landings. I found a good friend to this day on here that posted about a ferry flight from Miami to Philly and all I had to do was pay pro rata share. I would also suggest getting a job at a local airport, make a ton of friends that own planes and just ask everyone to fly right seat and offer to pay your half of the flight and for breakfast/lunch/dinner. I loved working at the airport and meeting all the great pilots that would give me advice. Good luck and keep working at it, it will all pay off.

Last edited:
Back