Thunderstorms at night enroute

Foxcow

There we were enroute from ORD to RIC at FL270 over Louisville, KY. We stayed so low because the autopilot was deferred. It was a nice night aside from some storms that we had to dodge. It took us about 15-20 minutes to deviate around the line of storms and the entire time, there was a lot of high intensity lightning. Obviously, I handed the plane off to the FO to take the pics as it was my turn to fly back...750 miles...with no autopilot

2691350114_69eb1e4601_b.jpg

2690538099_9692b0177c_b.jpg

The moon was shining behind the anvil
2691348658_3ba0f71148_b.jpg

This was earlier that day on the way up to ORD
2690535497_a9971d4c69_b.jpg

2691347722_2891001678_b.jpg

"thats what you are supposed to be able to do, there are alot of people nowadays who would be willing to fly that E145 with no autopilot, and in the coming months even more..."

-Thanks Debbie Downer

In case anyone is wondering, I shoot with a Nikon P5100 on fully manual. The night shots were anywhere from a 1-2 second exposure at F2.7 ISO400. The camera does pretty well for a point and shoot and is pretty much the closest thing you can get to a DSLR without lugging one around. I still want a D80 though. Olympus is looking really good as well.

thats what you are supposed to be able to do, there are alot of people nowadays who would be willing to fly that E145 with no autopilot, and in the coming months even more...

This is not the thread for this.

In case anyone is wondering, I shoot with a Nikon P5100 on fully manual. The night shots were anywhere from a 1-2 second exposure at F2.7 ISO400. The camera does pretty well for a point and shoot and is pretty much the closest thing you can get to a DSLR without lugging one around. I still want a D80 though. Olympus is looking really good as well.

Man, how are they NOT blurry?!?! Anything over .5 seconds on my camera ends up being ridiculously blurry, and that's even if I have it on a tripod.

Nice pics BTW!!

Man, how are they NOT blurry?!?! Anything over .5 seconds on my camera ends up being ridiculously blurry, and that's even if I have it on a tripod.

Nice pics BTW!!
Welll.......

Technically what happens is that the exposure length ends up being the duration of the lightning itself. So, even though the exposure is several seconds long the only time there's enough light for the sensor to register is when the lightning is actually creating light.

Make sense?

Nice pics BTW!!

try tucking your arms in towards your torso when you shoot and holding your breath for the duration of the shot (exhaled is better) if you don't have a tripod.

If you have a steady platform, use the 2 or 3 second timer and back away. That should solve most of your blur.

Nice shots! My stupid camera won't even take a pic of the panel in the day time without the flash!

Back