Thunderstorm flying B.S.

I think when it takes the snapshot of the weather is actually when you type in the flight number as you're sitting at the computer.

So the longer one waits to view it, the farther the weather travels from where it was during the flight.

I can imagine someone going on there three hours later and seeing their flight path going right through what flightaware shows as red.

"OMG we flew right through the center of it for hundreds of miles!!!1" when in reality, they were downwind of it as it was moving closer and it was probably a different intensity at the time anyway. Or not even 'red' to begin with.

I think when it takes the snapshot of the weather is actually when you type in the flight number as you're sitting at the computer.

So the longer one waits to view it, the farther the weather travels from where it was during the flight.

I can imagine someone going on there three hours later and seeing their flight path going right through what flightaware shows as red.

"OMG we flew right through the center of it for hundreds of miles!!!1" when in reality, they were downwind of it as it was moving closer and it was probably a different intensity at the time anyway. Or not even 'red' to begin with.

Not true, the other guy is right. ;)

Can't even believe that anyone could seriously contemplate flying through of near a CB. Remember the Airtran, (although, I think it was still Valujet then,) captain that flew under the anvil? We were right behind him coming out of ATL. He went right, and we went left, around the upwind side. End result, He made national headlines, and you've never heard of me.

AHHHH You guys caught me...it was just a ploy to show how awesome I really am. E-Cred -1.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

When did you become a flight attendant?

PM'ed...but I did it right after my instrument rating. Finished my commercial single and multi while there, but had to resign to do my CFI training. Fun job...enjoyed it.

Just going from memory here, but isn't the 20 mile rule generally associated with severe T-storms? Strong/intense radar returns etc. Stay clear of them all, but really keep clear of the bigger boomers.

As I think someone suggested above, there's no such thing as "what a thunderstorm is like". There are lots of different kinds and intensities, etc. I've flown through level 3s during the summer that I could verify were, in fact, thunderstorms because they were squall line storms and you could look out the back window when you came out and see the anvil, lightning, etc. Thing is, they were relatively harmless. Certainly not comfortable, but not making-deals-with-God bad, either. On the other hand, I've been depicted on radar as in isolated embedded level 3s and found myself ready to poop the pampers. And of course with the new kinder, more helpful FAA, everyone has had the experience of being told that there is severe rip-your-wings-off precip your 9:30-2:30 next 500 miles, then cruised through a little sprinking for the flowers. Point? Weather, like ice, is where YOU find it. Radar is nice, experience is better, "rules" are stupid.

Oh, and sorry, but flightaware is worse than useless for weather.

Weather, like ice, is where YOU find it. Radar is nice, experience is better, "rules" are stupid.

Oh, and sorry, but flightaware is worse than useless for weather.

:yeahthat: x 20

By all means, avoid the weather that makes you uncomfortable if it's possible, but you're going to find times when you get caught in something. I've gone through weather that ATC asked for a ride report because I just flew though an area of "severe" weather. I barely felt any bumps. And I've gone through "light precip" and got bounced around so much all you can read is the AI telling you if the blue side is still up or not.

Heh, I was on a night VFR xc, and the Boston Center controller was all concerned about me flying through an area of precip. Thing was I was flying under one of the clearest night skies that I have ever seen. I was 10 miles north of PWM at 5500 and already had the lights of BGR in sight (85 nm or so)

So while looking up some info on the weather screenshot on Flightaware I found out that it takes place at the Mid-Point of the flight. Arrival and Departure weather is really not close however cruise in a 1hr long flight would be pretty correct. Not exact enough to show intensity but enough to show that someone went through some pretty good weather.

So while looking up some info on the weather screenshot on Flightaware I found out that it takes place at the Mid-Point of the flight. Arrival and Departure whether is really not close however cruise in a 1hr long flight would be pretty correct. Not exact enough to show intensity but enough to show that someone went through some pretty good weather.

You don't think thundercells could move 20 miles from the "midpoint" to on approach?

Thats the difference from "good weather" to good weather.

YGTFSM.

Edit: Plus you already said you made all this #### up. It's probably time you closed your trap on this one before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

You don't think thundercells could move 20 miles from the "midpoint" to on approach?

Thats the difference from "good weather" to good weather.

YGTFSM.

Edit: Plus you already said you made all this #### up. It's probably time you closed your trap on this one before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

Really...back off. I did not make all this up. That was me being sarcastic because I was being fought tooth and nail about I story I experienced.

Back