Thoughts On ASA?

I know there is a large pool at ASA....

They need to be working on ACA or SkyWest...they're looking at long time growth and hiring....

We're all paying a lot of dough for our training and FSI's good name....they need to apply that good name and hook a brother up!

Chunk <---looking to get hired so I can afford a chunklet

As someone who took the ASA Fasttrack route, I feel it was worth it. When I was at FSI, I took heat for the fact that many felt I was "paying" for my job. I don't want to come across as negative on flight instructing, but it seems like that too is "paying" for the same job, just in a different way. Instead of out of pocket or loan expense, you pay with time. Time spent at a low pay rate as a flight instructor. Time spent without an airline seniority number. And by the time you pay for ratings to be a flight instructor, it's not that much cheaper than the ASA program (at least at FSI. You could go to a part 61 FBO and save a ton of cash getting your ratings.)

As far as the ASA program goes, don't let anyone convince you into thinking it's going to be easy. It's a whole new world of stress. They'll give you a little leewway in the beginning, but you need to be up to airline standards of flying in 30 hours. They aren't kidding about that. And the Saab doesn't get any easier. However, if you make it through, and most people do eventually, it is great prep for the ASA training.

Keep in mind, flight instructors do NOT get the entire ASA fast track program for free after their 800 hours. They get 8 hours of training in the SAAB. Some might get lucky enough to instruct in the seneca/ASA program, but certainly not all of them. Several of the FSI flight instructors have had difficulty in training at ASA (and other airlines.) Sitting in the right seat teaching steep turns all day doesn't help all that much with keeping current for an airline job. I'll agree that instructing definitely helps you to learn a lot about flying airplanes, as there's no way to learn something like teaching it. The point is you really need instrument experience (both with mental situational awareness and flying) and practice with the two person crew concept, which is not traditionally stressed in training for ratings.

Hopefully I've added something for people to think about. The real point is getting to the majors as quickly as possible. Each year delay in getting there costs about $500,000 over a lifetime of earnings, or so I've been told. Don't hold me to proving that statistic.

One other thing. Right now, it takes 2000-3000 hours and at least part 135 experience to get on with ASA if you come off the street. While other airlines aren't quite so high, it'll still take more than 1200 hours to get on with an airline.

<<Instead of out of pocket or loan expense, you pay with time. Time spent at a low pay rate as a flight instructor. Time spent without an airline seniority number. And by the time you pay for ratings to be a flight instructor, it's not that much cheaper than the ASA program>>

Well, besides the fact ASA is dead, probably permanently, this is an argument that can go on forever. I could go back and argue that the instructing isn't such a big payment. The amount you earn in overview, experience, but most of all.... patience, communication, people skills.... and working for something you want.... is very, very large. I know a seniority number is important, but as I've always said taking the longer, traveled road usually works out better. As you say, don't ask me to prove that comment, but I know in other things that if I have ever taken the easier road generally things didn't work out as well in the end. People don't understand what instrcuting teaches you until you do it with hard and honest effort....until you have done it. Its changed me in a lot of ways and not just flying-wise. We'll see what effects that has later on.....

Good point, TG123. I'm soooo on the fence on this. One on hand, I don't believe there are shortcuts, on the other, an early seniority # is worth a LOT of $$ at the end of your career.

I'm not sure I agree that ASA is gone forever, though.....I'm shocked that it's even being discussed this soon, but from what I understand, FSI didn't initiate the restart....ASA did.

Chunk

You are right, its tough to say whether it will come back. I can't imagine though, if it does come back, it will have the openness it had before. I mean at that time they took a high % of the people that applied for it, and some real 'oddities' made it in and through. I would think if it came back it would be a lot more selective, and an individual would not be able to hang their hat on getting in for sure. There are just too many people that have a lot more time that would like to work for ASA. Course, with them buying a ton of those 70 seat RJ's over the next couple years, and the success of that company right now, who knows?

Back