Thoughts On ASA?

Anyone know what the interview consists of (ASA)? I am guessing that you should know the instrument information, 121Regs, jet info, etc..

You know what bores me, is that we spend two months getting our instrument ticket and then (honestly) when do we use it again. CFII, which could be several months down the road and the FSI interview, which is several months down the road. I know it is up to the individual to stay current, but it is all about recency, "use it or lose it," I wish there was some kind of "post-instrument phase," but then that would mean more money.

I need a money tree!!!

Do I understand this right? If I go with the instructor track I get the free training and get paid for the 800 hours of instructing?

The way it worked was that you did 800 hours instructing with Flight Safety...During the last part of those 800 you got somewhat integrated into the ASA part of things (you taught the guys who paid for the fast track). Then you did some SAAB time in the Sim and that was it, you went off to ASA. No money out of your pocket, just in it.

I have been told by several past ASA folks that have said that the interview is 70% attitude and 30% technical. Could be different now? I don't know.

One thing people haven't talked about is the competition in getting into ASA. If only 4 to 6 people a month go to ASA Direck Track, it will be fairly competitive to get into plus the extra 26k. Also, it is not guanteed that you will pass this course. I heard that ATC communications is the biggest thing to get used to when flying psuedo Part 121 trips in the Seneca.

Another thing is that pre Sept 11 is not like today so if you do the instructor route, FSA may not pick up the CFII, MEI, and ASA Fast Track training cost. The reason they paid for it for Pre 9/11 was that they were hurting for instructors. Has any one learned any info if you do the instructor route for costs and ASA program? Best thing about going the instructor route is that you have a choice on which regionals to apply to or Part 135 cargo or charter.

Personally, I will try interviewing with the ASA Direct Track program but I would guess my chancing of being picked is 50-50 or less.

Does anybody know the stats of how many people "graduate" every month with their CIME? I thought that I heard or read somewhere that there is a max of 18 per class going in. Does that mean a max of 18 per month going in? How many of those people stick it through to the end of the program?

Dave

Getting in may not be as easy as it seems. Make sure you checkout the new updates on their website. Here are some of the guidelines taken directly from their site:

Great News At Last
ASA has re-instated the ASA Fast Track Program at the FlightSafety Academy in Vero Beach. Due to the interest in the program, we have had to establish certain criteria for a candidate prioritized list.
First, a couple of general details regarding the program:
•The program will be starting on a limited basis as ASA has set a goal of 4 to 6 candidates per month. The program has the potential to expand as ASA's hiring needs increase.

•First set of interviews is due to start the 3rd week in August. The interview date is still tentative and certain procedures have to be established.

Criteria for the Candidate Prioritized List:

Since the class size is limited we will attempt to contact those who were due for an interview in October 2001 when the program was put on hold.

After attempting to contact these individuals, we will begin contacting FSI Graduates who have completed the CIME program and are interested in the fast track program. FSI Graduates will be prioritized by their CIME completion date. Above all else, candidates must be proficient, as they were upon completion of their CIME program (ie FSI Grads) or at the completion of the ME Evaluation Phase (ie Phase II/IIA - for the non-FSI Grads who were previously scheduled for an interview).
Time is of the essence and filling these first classes is essential to the continued success of the program. For those who do meet the above criteria this is a reminder that all admission requirements for the FlightSafety Academy must
be met.

Here is information about the Instructors Track:

The ASA Instructor Track

If you qualify for the ASA Training Program and additionally meet the high standards required of a FlightSafety Academy Instructor, you may have an opportunity to instruct in exchange for this ASA training. In return for 800 instruction-hours given, selected candidates will receive the CFII, MEI, special Saab 2000 training and the line operational experience at the ATP level in the Seneca III at no cost.

Once you start to instruct, you become a paid employee of FlightSafety Academy and receive benefits. If you leave before the 800-hour agreement is fulfilled, you will be required to reimburse FlightSafety Academy for any training you received at no cost. Upon completion of the training and 800 hours of instructing, you will transition to the right seat of the Canadair Regional Jet with ASA.

Okay guys,

So now USAir is in Chapter 11....if they shut down and all those THOUSANDS of qualified pilots hit the streets, exactly how long do you think ASA will take to stop hiring 300 hour pilots? The answer, I imagine, is measured in milliseconds.

Let's all just hope that USAir can pull it out....for their sake and ours....

Chunk

Rereading what I wrote, I realized that maybe those who get a seniority number the soonest may be the best off...

who knows...it's keeps going back and forth for me. Direct vs. CFI

Chunk

I doubt USAirways will go under. From everything I have seen, they appear to be using Chapter 11 for its intended use, with intent to emerge after restructuring. Even if they did, their route structure and equipment would be bought by someone else like AMR.

Hey All,

Once again, not having a crystal ball, I have to agree that the likelyhood of USAirways going under is slim. Chapter. 11 grants them a stay of execution, at least for the time being, and as for these potential furlouhees,...well let's all hope, that this never comes to pass, the industry is still in the process of recovery and regrettably, we still have a long road ahead of us before we can expect a decent recovery, I dont mean to sound all gloom and doom, but there are still hundreds of pilots out on the street looking for work, once a majorty of this group is up and flying, at that point, we could all say the recovery is in full motion.

But for those advocates of direct track, they could use this as a good argument and a selling point, and in the long run if getting in the airline, (that magic senority number) and flying the RJ's, puts them ahead of the ball game, more power to them. However considering the state of the industry, it might also back fire, if there is a work stopage, then you end up, out on the street with little line experience, low time hours, big time debt and not even CFI certs to show for it. Yeah I know, gloom and doom..again sorry guy's, but as great as this program is, all I'm questioning is the timing behind all this, which I'm not convinced that is is good for a 200 hour + student with just thier CIME on hand.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

I talked to a US Airways pilot who said that the bankruptcy isn't all gloom and doom. Without restating all the good points made here he said that they may change names but they will keep flying.

Dan_Johnson,

Good to hear that thier is a light at the end of the tunnel, now all we have to wait and see, what happens to all the AA pilots.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

USAir's bankruptcy may not mean the end of USAir, but it may actually effect the other carriers' a great deal. It is difficult to compete with a carrier in Chapter 11. They don't have to pay their bills! All contracts with the union are on the block once Ch11 has been declared...payments on aircraft. It may be a good thing for USAir, but not for everyone else.

Chunk

Chunk,

You are absolutely right, they file a Chapt.11 and get a new lease on life, but then thiers a bigtime hiring freeze. The main concern that I see is, this having a ripple effect on other major carriers like DAL, UAL, NWA and AA, and ultimatley affect the respective regionals.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Airlines are constantly changing names and being absorbed by other airlines, so nothing new here.
Eastern bought National
USAir bought Peidmont
Midway bought Air Florida

And the list goes on and on and on....

The Turk.

Personally I would hedge my bets and get the CFI. Instruct for long enough to fulfill your contract (about 1-2 years) and gain valuable real world experience. After you fulfill your contract, you will be given the option to pursue the ASA track for free (at least that's how it was when I was there).

Remember, if you are just starting the course, the instructor ranks stand a good chance of being depleted by the time that you get your CFI, even though there is a wait now.

If you build time and experience instructing, you won't be putting all your eggs in the ASA basket and you will have more options if you happen not to get hired or if you are furloughed after a short time online.

Remember that a lot of people who had gone through the course had to wait for many long months for a slot after 9-11. Do you think that their student loan lenders waited about their payments under the circumstances? I doubt it.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
He also said that people do not look down upon the pay for play training. He got hired at 24 by Delta and used to get sh** for being a kid. That all changed when he became Captain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too have heard the same thing here in Ophir ( a town of 100 people). There is a Northwest FO here and his recommendation was to get into the cockpit of a regional, enroute to major as fast as possible. The return on your investment will be evident with the pay (eventually) and the seniority. He was really convincing!

So, with that, do I know what the hell I am going to do? NOPE. I am preaching getting down to business and I am sitting on my butt trying to figure it all out. I will let you know when I do. Hmmm

Personally I would hedge my bets and get the CFI. Instruct for long enough to fulfill your contract (about 1-2 years) and gain valuable real world experience. After you fulfill your contract, you will be given the option to pursue the ASA track for free (at least that's how it was when I was there).

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point, it is really a tough call. It's definetely a decision that everyone will have think harder about than before September 11th.

Eastern bought National

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr. Pan Am, bought National, right? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Unless some of the guys that were National pilots showed up at the wrong groundschool and became Delta pilots! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Back