Third Time This Week.

How does flap position affect fuel temp at the gate?

I've yet to partake in the running flaps-in-flare discussion yet at all, but this one is easy so I'll answer.

By retracting flaps during the flare, weight-on-wheels is reached earlier, thereby reducing TAT earlier as the aircraft slows. The fuel temperature upon shutdown at the gate will be lower on a landing where the flaps were retracted in the flare.

I think, if I remember correctly, it has to do with that there is more surface area to absorb the heat and keeps it cooler.

Cruise or lostplanetairman you happen to remember?

Straight from the AOM:

• FLAPS.......................................... RETRACT - Select the flap lever to position 0 or (1+F)
On ground, hot weather conditions MAY cause overheating to be detected around the bleed ducts in the wings resulting in “Air Wing Leak” warnings (i.e. LAS). Such warnings may be avoided during transit by retracting the Flaps/Slats to configuration 1 when the ATIS is reporting the OAT is above 30o C. By keeping the Slats extended there will be greater cooling around the Slat area.

Straight from the AOM:

• FLAPS.......................................... RETRACT - Select the flap lever to position 0 or (1+F)
On ground, hot weather conditions MAY cause overheating to be detected around the bleed ducts in the wings resulting in “Air Wing Leak” warnings (i.e. LAS). Such warnings may be avoided during transit by retracting the Flaps/Slats to configuration 1 when the ATIS is reporting the OAT is above 30o C. By keeping the Slats extended there will be greater cooling around the Slat area.

My bad!

Note to self: avoid posts at 1AM

I've yet to partake in the running flaps-in-flare discussion yet at all, but this one is easy so I'll answer.

By retracting flaps during the flare, weight-on-wheels is reached earlier, thereby reducing TAT earlier as the aircraft slows. The fuel temperature upon shutdown at the gate will be lower on a landing where the flaps were retracted in the flare.

Interesting...Keeps it cooler by how much?

Straight from the AOM:

Wow, I did remember correctly... I guess I have been reading my emails.

As you snack there at the hold short line for the wake turbulence delay from my Boeing...

BOOOM, Trick! How you like me now? :)

Sent from my TRS-80

All the Boeing guys are just jealous of our slide out table when it comes times to eat that first class crew meal. (Or in my case, T5 Takeout. :) )

Sure, but my jet is made out of metal, and every switch or lever up front is oversized and makes a satisfying "ka-chunk" sound. Oh, we also bring the flaps up (yes, "up", not zero or 1+F or whatever other witchcraft), and it has nothing to do with fuel temperatures. :)

'murica.

Straight from the AOM:

Oh ok. That makes sense. It's a bleed leak sensor issue. How did fuel get thrown into the mix?

Back