Third Time This Week.

funny-pictures-cat-has-landing-gear.jpg

Brake temp after takeoff? Do they get that hot during taxi?

Can't speak for the Airbus but jets in general, absolutely.

Got a picture of the screen in my plane showing one above 500 degrees celcius (it was the upwind side during landing with a strong crosswind and very near max landing weight).

Could it have been the same airplane?

Example, we had an airplane with the landing gear deferred down and the company had it doing ORD-SBN turns all day.

TIME OUT!

That is when a Captain needs to earn his pay, call dispatch, and refuse the airplane as that is NOT in the proper usage of a MEL for something as important of a system as the landing gear.

I've only seen it once or twice where I work because they're pretty good about avoiding it but they will occassionally defer the gear in the up position. It's a major inconvenience because you wind up landing like the movie Airplane! and it's expensive to replace the slides but it's legal so it's safe.

* * *​

In all seriousness, deferring the gear down for passenger operations and having it fly short flights all day is possibly one of the most asinine things I have heard as far as maintenance goes.

Deferring the gear retraction function should be a repo/ferry type scheme, and one leg to get the plane to a useful airport at that.

TIME OUT!

That is when a Captain needs to earn his pay, call dispatch, and refuse the airplane as that is NOT in the proper usage of a MEL for something as important of a system as the landing gear.

Agreed. We picked up the plane off the overnight in SBN. Had taken off, NLG didn't come up, landed, MX came out and deferred it. Best part is that you can't fly in known or forecasted icing conditions. CIG was OVC004 and temperature in the clouds made it icing conditions. We waited till the sun came up...8 hours later. We figured we were just getting it back to a MX base. Then they wanted us to do ORD-ROA. We said no thanks. So I think they sent it back to SBN later.

Agreed. We picked up the plane off the overnight in SBN. Had taken off, NLG didn't come up, landed, MX came out and deferred it. Best part is that you can't fly in known or forecasted icing conditions. CIG was OVC004 and temperature in the clouds made it icing conditions. We waited till the sun came up...8 hours later. We figured we were just getting it back to a MX base. Then they wanted us to do ORD-ROA. We said no thanks. So I think they sent it back to SBN later.

I wonder if they could just have fixed the bloody thing while waiting 8 hours.

I wonder if they could just have fixed the bloody thing while waiting 8 hours.

That's the catch though.

Fixing it at some operations is no longer even the goal.

The point is to procrastinate and cut corners to the legal max.

Wish I was joking.

(not saying the operator of this airplane was doing that, but rather, the deferral is a great example of it)

Seggy said:
TIME OUT!

Poop! I had the wheel things not come up in an out station and we called contract MX to MEL the gear, ferry it 2 hours away to the MX base, and get a new airplane to pick the peeps up. Could have run a lot smoother utilizing a reserve crew, but that's above my pay grade. I mean, I work at GULLLLLFFFSTREAM and they won't even fly peeps around with that MEL!

What is it with the A320 series and leaving the flaps extended in hot weather? Everytime I've flown Airways through PHX in the summer, the flaps were usually left partially extended after landing.

What is it with the A320 series and leaving the flaps extended in hot weather? Everytime I've flown Airways through PHX in the summer, the flaps were usually left partially extended after landing.

It's to avoid an overheat indication - on the bleeds, I think, when the OAT is above 30 C or something like that. I'd have to look it up to be exact... and the verbage in the FCOM is a little screwy if I remember correctly from my last LAS turn.

Back