Thinking about dropping the $230/mo crashpad expense...

Also, I'm not saying to even stay in the game. Go find something that WILL NOT BANKRUPT YOU!!! WTF, why are people staying in a job they cannot afford???:panic: That's my question...

Do you not read or is it just your way or the highway?

It's all about priorities. My second year in I had my share of an apartment that was almost as expensive as his (but probably higher utility costs seeing as though it was on the east coast with A/C and heat) but IIRC I had put away around $15k in savings. That didn't include my 401k either.

$2100/month is almost enough for me to pay all of mine and my wife's bills every month and we own a 2000 sq ft house...with 40k in student loan debt between the 2 of us. You really need to examine what you spend your $$ on...

Seems like your priorities are QOL (i.e. living in SAN, having an apartment, eating good food, drinking good wine). Similar to mine. Sounds like your mind is made up you just need a kick in the ass to get you going. Find another job, and blast out of PDT.

Seems like your priorities are QOL (i.e. living in SAN, having an apartment, eating good food, drinking good wine). Similar to mine. Sounds like your mind is made up you just need a kick in the ass to get you going. Find another job, and blast out of PDT.

Exactly dead on! The best response by far. My priorities might be different from other people's.

I would either move or quit, but that's me. If I get displaced to EWR I would probably just move to eastern PA, some of those towns look nice, and within 90 minutes of EWR. Maybe LGA has some place that's equivalent? Of course if you really think you're about to get furloughed I wouldn't move.

If the money at PDT isn't getting it done for you financially, you have to ask yourself if the additional SIC experience in the dash 8 is really helping your resume anymore. I don't know how time much you have, but after 3000 sic or so in that thing with no chance of upgrading and a trans-con commute, I would probably find myself looking elsewhere, anywhere for a new job.

I honestly give you regional guys a ton of credit. I couldn't do a cross country commute to a job that wears me down and pays me crap. I know there's a lot of good things like the view and the travel and the flight attendants, etc. But I just don't think I could do it. If you're making $25k now, find a job that'll pay you $40k. In two years you can buy a 172 and fly wherever, whenever you want.

Do you not read or is it just your way or the highway?
We've just about run out of savings and there's only so much you can make on reserve, so it's put us in a tight situation. Although I never thought I'd say it but a furlough would actually be a blessing in disguise.
We've just about run out of savings tells me you are in deep kempshe (sp?) with no relief in sight, from your own post. The line you quoted was actually me just talking in general, but going back and looking at your post, yes I did read and it is directed at you now. Once again, why are you almost bankrupting yourself to do this?

How is me saying go find another job, either in or out of aviation, to be able to pay the bills and not ruin your credit for the next 5-7 years, being a "my way or the highway" type of guy? I did not say "find a job overseas", or get out of aviation because you are being a Suka and knew what you were getting in to. All I said was find a way to survive.

I hope your second job pays off for you and makes it where you have a livable income.

Good luck to all those out there facing tough decisions in this world!!!

Exactly dead on! The best response by far. My priorities might be different from other people's.

Don't confused "wants" with priorities. If you "want" a certain lifestyle you need to work a job that supplies that income level. If being at a commuter isn't doing that, just dropping the crashpad expense isn't going to be the long term solution. Just my $0.02.

You're a smart guy I bet you could double or triple your $$ overnight getting out of flying. What are you interested in?

I honestly give you regional guys a ton of credit. I couldn't do a cross country commute to a job that wears me down and pays me crap. I know there's a lot of good things like the view and the travel and the flight attendants, etc. But I just don't think I could do it. If you're making $25k now, find a job that'll pay you $40k. In two years you can buy a 172 and fly wherever, whenever you want.

It's funny when I was making $25k a year as a first year FO I thought $40k a year was a lot of money. Then I get there and realize there's just more stuff to save for ;).

...find a job that'll pay you $40k. In two years you can buy a 172 and fly wherever, whenever you want.

Not on $40K you can't. Unless of course, you want to be in the exact same financial situation...and then have a plane you can't fly because you couldn't afford that $10K annual.

Jace, I thought you were with your parents in SAN too...I also wouldn't advise moving to NY/NJ, as you know it is cost prohibitive to live there. I looked at living there three or four years ago when I was a software engineer making 65K more and couldn't swallow it. If it weren't for my wife's salary we couldn't do this little dance, and if she ever lost her job DJ would have my resignation on his desk that afternoon.

If I can do anything to help let me know; my rent-free "crashpad" is my sister-in-law's in NJ, but I easily spend a crashpad's rent in tolls and gas each month.

It's funny when I was making $25k a year as a first year FO I thought $40k a year was a lot of money. Then I get there and realize there's just more stuff to save for ;).

Yeah. I used to think that the adage about "the more you make, the more you spend" was crap until I started making more.

It's true.

Although I've gotten better about it.

Jace, dude, come to CLT! Best decision I've made since I've been at PDT. I liked living in Las Vegas (for the most part), but the commute was just too dang long. I was away from home way too much. And as you know, I'm from San Diego also. Lived there 23 years. I absolutely love it there. But after moving away, and experiencing what other parts of the country have to offer, I'll never live in SAN again. I'll always have family out there so always an excuse to visit. Matter of fact, I'll be out there sometime in July for the del mar fair :). San diego is one of, if not the most, beautiful city in the country, but is it really worth going under for? NO!!!

If you really do want to stay at PDT, I think CLT is the place to be (my opinion). There are many opportunities for inexpensive housing. In fact I think one of our ROA captains is looking for a roommate. You cant beat it dude! Partying on the lake during the day, and Live After Five at night!!!
I know you have a standard of living that you are used to, so did I, but you gotta pay the bills, you know? If you need anything, give me a shout!

Ken

Sometimes a hotel can be cheaper than a crashpad, especially if you get a good deal and get points and only use it like 4 or 5 times a month.

Agreed, that's what I do. It varies from month to month, but for me getting a hotel on priceline is cheaper than having a crashpad for most months.

Commuting sucks, but you're the one that is choosing to do it. I know this because I do it. Since I moved out of base my life has been a logistical nightmare. Having to use days off to travel to/from work, not spending much time at home, and having to constantly worry about loads has been rough. That's why we've decided to move back to Atlanta at the end of the year. That's not something I want to do at all, but it beats the alternative.

When I first started with this job, lots of people told me to budget so you can live off of min guarantee. Its rough but its doable. I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you, but it sounds like you have some expensive tastes. I'm not going to tell you how to live your life, but it sounds like to me there is probably a lot of things that could be changed that could make things much easier.

The truth about SAN is that rents are coming down significantly since the demise of the real estate market. That's actually not the biggest problem with living in SAN from a financial standpoint. It's the other expenses - food, fuel, drink, etc. When chicken breast at the (pick any one) grocery store is ON SALE for $2.99/lb - you know things are a little out of whack. When happy hour prices on a domestic draft beer is $3.00, it adds up pretty quickly. I can't imagine living on first year F/O pay here in SAN. Particularly with a $675/mo rent bill. SAN is a great place, but there's a lot to be said for experiencing living in other parts of the country as well. You can always come back.

Sometimes a hotel can be cheaper than a crashpad, especially if you get a good deal and get points and only use it like 4 or 5 times a month.

Yeah, but this is New York we are talking about. When I was JFK based I went to a Hotel once, and the cheapest one I could get was $90/night with airline discount. Now, if you are based somewhere where the Hotels won't cost you half your per diem check and you are a lineholder, then yes, it might be cheaper than a hotel. In CVG there are several commuter friendly hotels with airline discounts, and I never paid more than $35/night and you get a 'free' night after so many stays. But in the end, I did suck it up and just got an apartment and moved to base.

I'd either quit PDT, move to a different base where cost of living is cheaper, or move somewhere closer with cheaper cost of living and an easy commute to LGA.

Also, maybe you want to cut back on the "whine" and cheese parties a bit :D

I'm thinking you're going to have to be willing to move to make this work out for you. The way that I look at it....you will always be able to call SAN home. Your family lives there and you have travel bennies! I would move to CLT on a temporary basis for now until I'm able to afford to move and live in SAN. It's just one of those do what you gotta do situations.

To make this work out, you're going to have to be willing to compromise!

I agree with Kelvin. I LOVE Orlando, and I miss it like crazy. There's no way I could make the commute work right now. Well, I COULD, but I have a free crash pad called "Mom and Dad's house" here in MEM. The lost days off and commuting to RSV would make my life hell. So, I had a decision to make. Do I like my job enough to stay in Memphis or would I be happier pushing buttons on rides in Orlando? If I were an FO, honestly, I'd have a VERY tough call to make. There's not THAT much difference (sadly) in pay between a ride operator at Sea World and an FO at Pinnacle. The time at home, however, is HUGE in comparison. However, being in the left seat changes the dynamic. The pay cut I'd take going back to Sea World or wherever would put the hurt on my family, so it works out better for me to live here right now. Hopefully, someday I can combine the two and live in nirvana.

Sounds like it's a similar decision here. Which do you like more: living in SAN or flying for PDT?

I got it!!

Find a girlfriend in the Northeast to bum with! That should and will cut your expenses, you might even make money in the right situation! :nana2:

Back